Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: Your Childhood "Holy Grail" Transformers?

I have few recollections of what I wanted as a child, back then I was recieving many gifts and toylines from everybody and anybody.

I had Real Ghostbusters, He-Man, G.I.Joe, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, LEGO, who knows what else. Most of it is gone now and very few photographic evidence remains as to what I actually had as opposed to what I dreamed of having.

That being said I can safely say that I have always wanted...

G1 Optimus Prime
G1 Megatron
G1 Dinobots
G1 Soundwave
G1 Casseticons
G1 Metroplex
G1 Scorponok
G1 Trypticon

Surprisingly enough I think I want Fortress Maximus now more than I did as a kid, I don't really recall ever seeing him before or saying I want this guy.

Out of that list, I've only managed to get a few. I also always wanted Powermaster Optimus Prime and I did own him for a while, but sold him off recently because... Well to be quite honest the G1 figures I own are the first to go. There is no true sentimentality there for me. It's G2 and Beast Wars that really struck chords with me, while I've loved the G1 cartoon, the G1 toys don't mean much to me. With few exceptions. I'd love to have every Micromaster under the sun, the city/base bots and cons, the cassettes, and I wouldn't mind picking up a Pretender Starscream again because I had him when I was a kid. But for the most part, G1 toys don't hold as much sentimentality to me.

So I collect them, but I don't go out of my way to pick them up. I want them in a way, but that want is drowned out by the more modern figures who don't cost 100s of dollars after the fact.

So that's how it is.

I'm still going to get those Dinobots one of these days, I mean Hasbro has made tons of Dinobots after the fact, but nothing beats those G1 molds. They may be bricks, but at least they still look cool. Why the hell can't Classics Grimlock have taken more of his cues from the original model instead of his Pretender Classics version I'll never know.

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.