Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #39
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions
Re: Who is the Greatest Transformers Character of All Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Did the Optimus Prime toy come out by itself in 1984 and based on its success all the others were made?

The early issues of Marvel thrust Ratchet to the forefront, while relegating Optimus to a secondary role. I think I could even argue that Blaster saw more action in the first 20 issues of that comic than Optimus did.

In Japan Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory - these all came along with little to no focus on Optimus Prime. They didn't even call him Optimus Prime in Japan. Beast Wars and Beast Machines had very limited reference to him as well.

I think it is very safe to say Optimus is the most popular character in the history of the franchise - I just don't know if that makes him the greatest character ever. A lot might depend on how one defines that.

Saying their would not have been a franchise without him is a bit of a stretch to me. At best it is speculation, not logic.

I just think there is a bit more room for debate than you are allowing for.
The vast majority of people who were into TFs as children saw Optimus in the Cartoon before anything else.

Again, the question is asking who is the greatest TF character of all time, not who is our favourite or any other stipulation.

My Favourite character is G1 Jazz, but is he the greatest character? No, that logically is Optimus Prime, he is the core of the Transformers, the heart, the soul, everything.

Why do you think Hasbro puts so much focus on him? Because he is the MAIN character. Again, it boils down to the question being asked isn't who our favourite character is, which many people seem to be doing.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.