Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Kenzieleerock
Mini-Con
Re: TFcon Toronto 2017 Feedback Thread

I agree that I really liked the freebies this year- the razor and Vitamin Water was a nice touch. I enjoyed the dealers room and I liked having a second room to explore. I think there was a good selection and TCP booth was a fantastic sight when walking in (plus their prices were really good imo). I kept seeing people thinking the Scott McNeil line was line for the second dealers room, but everybody in the line was quick to correct them if they asked which was nice. All of the guests were amazing and extremely kind and friendly. I don't think I ever saw Nick Roche without a smile on his face.

As far as complaints go, I don't have tons (mainly because we only went to 1? panel (the costume contest) and spent the majority of time either in the dealers room, eating, and being in our own room. I agree that the US prices were a deterrent, we didn't buy anything from booths doing that. I get that the exchange rate isn't great, but if they want US prices or a higher Canadian, put on the sicker both prices so people are aware.

That being said, the costume contest was run..haphazardly. I get that its not a huge contest like at anime conventions, but I think that it could use a dedicated team to help keep it more organized. My personal pet peeve was how people were answering craftsmanship or construction questions..I get that you're cosplaying but you don't have to be in character for questions like that. A major part of cosplay contests that I've been to and watched are people talking about how they constructed their costume and how much time went into it, which I love hearing about as somebody who cosplays as well. Though, I think most of it was being being nervous which is understandable. All the costumes were really impressive, and I would have loved to hear more about the construction of the robot costumes as I would love to try making one myself.

Same as last year, I think mostly my complaints are with the hotel itself and the restaurant. It felt way more disorganized than last year. I know that the sheer amount of people coming in waves to the restaurant is overwhelming, but perhaps they should implement an official line/waiting area. I know Saturday around lunch one of the waitresses was having people wait by the sign and trying to make sure people weren't sneaking to tables so that everybody got seated where they should/fairly. That was great and I think that it should be done 100% of the time no matter how busy they are. Prices were high as always, but that's expected. The themed drinks were great this year too! I could drink the Waspinator all day.

Breakfast was a whole other ordeal, at least for us. When we got there, the woman who checked us in mentioned they had breakfast from x time to x time, and we didn't think anything of it, but then saw the set up Saturday morning and decided to hit it up Sunday. They had a whole buffet set up, which is something many hotels do for complimentary breakfasts. We didn't see any signs saying it was supposed to be paid for, but they could have been there and we just missed them. No mention of complimentary breakfast on the site either, we just thought maybe they didn't update the site or something. We saw others walking up and serving themselves. We got juice and our plates with a few things on them and sat down to eat where we could find room. One of the waitresses then dropped a bill down in front of us and we were like "huh?" Needless to say, getting hit with a 40$ bill for two glasses of OJ, and two plates of some potato wedges and some bacon was a bit of a shock haha Still, that was probably more of a mess up on our part, we just would have liked more signs and communication from staff. They seemed to all just be hanging out in the back near the register and not walking around. If its not a free breakfast, I think a menu would be best for people to order off of instead of the buffet style that many associate with complimentary breakfasts (at least that's how hotels I've been to here in the US are, not sure about Canadian hotels)

Overall, I had a lot of fun this year and definitely enjoyed myself. I loved the guests and the artists that were there, I got 3 great prints that I really enjoyed. I like seeing artists and more craftsmanship booths, people selling plushies, keychains, and stickers, since I can buy the toys themselves online any time but hand made art and items are one of a kind.
Kenzieleerock is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.