Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #29
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con
Re: If you think the Siege Deluxe at $29.99 is absurd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but I did a bit of checking and before the "Leaders" term started being used (2003-2005 range for example), the very large figures such as Armada Tidal Wave for example was 25.99$ (so around 35 CAN$) which via inflation calculator would bring it to US $35.49 (still under 50$ CAN) and putting the new Leader class next to Tidal wave, and there's a freaking huge difference in size and general quality (but not in details, so I'll give the newer figures a win on that).

So even with a a 5$ flux, the leaders are at around 20$ over what they should/would be if they truly maintained their price via inflation rates.

So while I know that there's a few on here that believe that it's all good that Hasbro and the likes are inflating prices, I do prefer to be factual.

And as far as pricing goes, when they can sell a 150$ figure for 30$ on a sale (Power Ranger's huge Ninja Megazord this Christmas) and still make profit, the argument about "plastics are more expensive" (and all the other excuses) is an absolute lie as QC and such has been fairly poor for the last several series.

So, if you're happy to pay more, that is your choice, but some of us aren't happy about it and it is driving us away from buying more if at all at some point.

But if you like paying more, remember that once many stop buying, Hasbro and the others will end up bringing prices even higher to compensate, so I guess that's a win-win for Hasbro and those that like higher prices.

I think that price on Tidal Wave was from the US. That’s where I grew up, and up until Geberations what passed as a Deluxe was about $10-$12, Voyagers were about $15-$18, and Leaders were around $30. That was back in 2006.

As for the bit about this year’s Megazord, that’s TRU mate. Hasbro ‘suggests’ what stores sell their figures for. They don’t set the price. TRU pays a fraction of what they charge; when I worked for them back in high school they could afford to clearance an item up to 70% and still make profit. They pay Hasbro pennies for this stuff, cause they buy stock in the hundreds of thousands of cases. You can’t really equate what you as a consumer are paying for an item against what a mass consumer retail entity pays for them.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.