Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 12:20 AM   #33
steamwhistle
Crossover
Re: Collect or Play? Investment or Display?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyblue View Post
Good morning all,

I have a complete collection of the POTP sub-line, all still new in box. My dilemma is that I wonder if I should open them or not. I figure a complete set of Transformers might be worth something someday, and that is keeping me from opening and enjoying them.

Please help! What's your opinion?
What do you mean by complete? North America retail? Takara-Tomy issues? Amazon/Walgreen exclusives? Convention Exclusives?

Let's analyse this with some rambling thoughts and questions.

Suppose you have about 40-45 POTP (Regular, Amazon, Walgreen, but not Takara-Tomy or Convention issues).

Would it be fair to estimate that the collection is worth about $1200 at regular retail prices today?

How much would you expect to make in the future? How long would you keep it? 20 years? A full MISB set is awesome, and would be hard to find in 20 years, but what do you think someone would reasonably offer for it in 20 years?

Double? $2400?

Really, in 20 years, $2400 might be worth what $1200 is worth today.

Still, say you do make a good $1200 by selling it in 20 years. In 20 years' time, would $1200 mean much to you?

Is it worth your time and care over 20 years, to store them, care for them, and even pack them and move them as you might relocate your residence?

Along with all of this, consider: Do you think the POTP line will remain interesting and collectible over time? What are the chances that Hasbro/Takara (or whatever future toy company might hold the rights) might issue another similar line of Transformers which would be better, or more interesting to collectors? What are the chances that collectors will be more interested in another line?

It seems improbable to me that, in the future, there would be many collectors hunting for MISB POTP Transformers. Even if there are, would they want to buy a full set? Or would they have some/many of them MISB already? Would you break up your set to accommodate them? If you can sell the whole set, do you think you would make enough to make it all workwhile? Would the profit be enough to enjoy?
Would you enjoy selling them? More than opening them now?

As you have them all now, are they in storage, or are all the boxes on display on a shelf?

Do you have any doubles of figures which you have opened and played with?

All things considered, and from the wording of your post, the thought of "investment" is keeping you from enjoying them. That doesn't sound like fun.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.