Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 10:07 PM   #32
Pgianos
Banned
Re: Collect or Play? Investment or Display?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Pretty much this. Very few things from the modern era will go up in value and stay there. I got back into collecting a little over ten years ago, and I've seen the ups and downs on figures.

Remember when City Commander came out? Combined with the Ultra Magnus base figure, that thing was going for $300-$400 on the after market.

Then came the re-release, the KOs, and then the collector's frenzy died down, followed by official releases of Ultra Magnus looking a lot more like his G1 self, especially the MP version.

Haven't checked the pricing in a while, but I'd say you'll be lucky to get what you paid in retail for it now.

That's the thing about TF collecting and pricing. Demand for a figure can be very volatile. For certain figures, the demand comes from it being the best representation of a certain G1 character available. Remember Cybertron Downshift, Shockblast, etc. The figures that were homages to G1 characters were desired because there was nothing else better.

Now, there's tons of choice. All it takes is a new, updated, and better version of that character to come out, and suddenly, the prices on the old version bottom out. Once Siege Sideswipe came out, I wonder how many people dropped their Classics version onto their for-sale list? Once the new MP version of Prime was announced, I wonder how many people did the same with their MP-10s.

I've seen this happen over and over. Except under some very specific circumstances, modern mass produced, mass distributed TFs don't hold any value beyond what you paid. It's more like buying a car than a house.

I open most of what I buy. Only under certain circumstances will I keep something in box.
Well articulated sir.
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.