Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #23
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Re: Takara Tomy bans third party custom Transformers Products in Japan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Based on the quality of a lot of the 3rd party items I'm surprised none of them have approached getting an actual license from Hasbro/Takara. Obviously the full-out TF figures would get a resounding "no" but the add-ons are nothing but beautiful accessories that enhance and increase sales of the original toys. "We don't make Transformers. We make Transformers better."
Granted, the licensing would more than likely be a ridiculous fee but it would allow them to go into production on a larger scale and potentially get the items on retail shelves.
Really good point...what I'd like to see TT putting their "lawyer money" towards is a fair, accessible licensing program that capitalizes on all the momentum 3PP is creating...stuff that is greatly adding to the brand but is often, in effect, infringing on copyrights and patents.

I really hope the companies tread lightly around this issue 'cause the only loosers are going to be the fans. As much as I love Has/Tak, they simply aren't cranking out enough product to satisfy the ravenous fan base, IMHO.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.