Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
dak
Master Creator
Re: Canadian Kitbashing Tutorials

Submitted by chans formers

Sun Damage Removal

a while back,there was a thread posted here about using hydrogen peroxide to reverse the sundamage in g1 figs.for the past 2 weeks I’ve tried out this method and this is the results.i tried both natural sunlight and artificial uv light from a lamp.
Here’s a list of all that was required
· 3 bottles of 3% 10 volume hydrogen peroxide usp(2$each)
· 2 bottles of 6% 20 volume hydrogen peroxide(4$each)
· Glass jar (3$)
· Halogen lamp from walmart(15$)
· 1 pair of plastic chopsticks(no,not kidding;p)
· A bunch of sunfaded sacrifices
The step by step of how to do it yourself the easiest way is
1. thoroughly wash your bot(a tooth brush and sunlight dishsoap works real well to get all the nooks and cranny’s)
2. once your bot is dried off a bit(not dripping water)go ahead and disassemble him.(this will help him fit better into the glass jar)
3. take your hydro perox and start filling the glass jar,but only about 5/8ths full.
4. Start throwing your bot parts into the jar.(now you’ll know why you only filled it up 5/8ths,I learned the hard way and ended up wiping up a lot of peroxide;( )
5. Once the lid is on,put the jar outside where it’ll probably be in the sun all day.
6. As time goes by(every 40-50 min)check on the jar,open it up,use the chopsticks to stir/move the parts around and to dissapate the tiny bubbles that accumulated. if you don’t,everything will keep floating in one giant mass at the top of the jar.what ever is in the middle of that mass will not get the needed uv rays.
7. Once you’re satisfied with the color,take your chopsticks and start plucking those pieces out of the solution.
8. I like to drop them into a bowl of soapy water,then again with the toothbrush.
9. Reassemble bot once dry(this would be a good time to replace the screws if you have new ones)

this is the 15$ walmart halogen lamp with the "uv filter" glass removed(faction emblems not included)

the 3$ loonie store glass jar i use)

g1 hungurr in a warm bath on the front steps.

when the sun goes down,have no fear,the 15$ lamp is here.(make sure to stir more often when using the lamp!!!!!)

before pic.notice how browned the tank is,and on fixit,you can totally tell where a price sticker was on his van roof.

after.almost all sundamage gone.

g1 hungurr before.extreme sunfading.

after.all sun fading gone!!(remember how i said to keep moving your parts in the jar more often when using the lamp?look at hungurr's purple chest ares,that's what happens when you dont)

before,g1 pounce,heavily sundamaged.

after.

before,g1 micromaster combiner transport.

after,shown with undipped other half.

A few things I noticed while trying this out is
· Patience is number one.
· If there’s a sticker on the plastic,the uv will not penetrate the plastic behind it.(unless its clear/transparent like the g1 pretenders)
· Never use clear plastic containers(the first jar I had was plastic and it ended up somehow bubbling out the bottom of the jar)always glass only.
· Certain stickers get a “hazing” sheen to them,while others remain untouched.
have fun and play safe!!

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.