Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Iron Man 3 (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=46901)

FEZaid 05-03-2013 08:00 PM

Iron Man 3

(GO AWAY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO RISK BEING SPOILED)

So I got to watch Ironman 3 during this week, some of you didn't but try watching this weekend, take your family and friends even. What a great kick start to the summer, had fun watching the movie: great action, dialogue, unexpected plot twist. I was on the edge of my seat whenever the action scenes happen. Shows that anybody can wear a metal suit, but cant become Tony Stark himself.

SPOILER RANT:

Not ranting at the movie but the people who are complaining about the Mandarin not being evil enough, honestly those are Ironman fanboys who have their heads too far up their ass to realize this movie target audience are for the mainstream. Its a blockbuster movie, don't ever expect the movie in your image. (Take Transformers for example)

chovner 05-04-2013 03:54 AM

Re: Iron Man 3

It was the worst of the 3. Mandarin should have been awesome, what's the point of introducing him into a movie, and playing him up like they did to just fall hilariously flat. He was funny... don't get me wrong... but that's not what I wanted.
I'm not even a big IronMan fanboy. As a kid I read the occasional IronMan comic, but did know who The Mandarin was from various other comics, and knew HE HAD 10 MAGIC GODDAMN AWESOME RINGS THAT DID AWESOME THINGS WHICH IS WHY ANYONE GAVE A SHIT ABOUT HIM AT ALL!!! :|

Tekkamanraiden 05-04-2013 07:48 AM

I saw it last night, I actually liked the Mandarin twist. The movies haven't exactly followed the comics so I though it was fitting.

down_shift 05-04-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chovner (Post 506090)
It was the worst of the 3. Mandarin should have been awesome, what's the point of introducing him into a movie, and playing him up like they did to just fall hilariously flat. He was funny... don't get me wrong... but that's not what I wanted.
I'm not even a big IronMan fanboy. As a kid I read the occasional IronMan comic, but did know who The Mandarin was from various other comics, and knew HE HAD 10 MAGIC GODDAMN AWESOME RINGS THAT DID AWESOME THINGS WHICH IS WHY ANYONE GAVE A SHIT ABOUT HIM AT ALL!!! :|

I agree and disagree. I wouldn't use the word "worst" to describe it, maybe least favorite. Worst would imply it was bad. Like ROTF bad. But it wasn't bad. It was really good... great even. Just missed something. I really enjoyed the plot twist and I'm pretty proud of myself for not spoiling it by reading ish online.

I watched Extremis months ago on Netflix and it was pretty close to that, and I liked that. Casting was really well done and for me the best part was Sir Ben Kinsley. He nailed it like a high school prom date. Guy Ritchie played a good part, and I now want to bang Rebecca Hall like a screen door in a hurricane. At least, I think that's her name.

Anywho I was a little sad with the after credits and a disturbing lack of Justin Hammer.

Personally I give it 3 and a half V-necks out of 5.

I'll buy it in the phase two box set.

transforminator 05-04-2013 09:33 AM

Some gripes I had:

Pacing was too fast
Overdoing the comedy
The moment you realize that Killian is doing all this because Tony didnt meet him on the roof in 1999
Suits falling apart in every badass scene
Various other plotholes

It was a fun film, but fell flat on a lot of levels particularly since the marketing of this film suggested that the Mandarin would be villian of the year.

On another note, I really do appreciate the way they focused a lot more on Tony in this film. Getting to see his detective side and engineering abilities in the home invasion sequence was awesome!

Cheers Ian 05-04-2013 07:17 PM

I really enjoyed it. I loved the Mandarin Twist.

Probably the biggest gripe I have with it was they just kinda forgot about Tony's anxiety attacks and if he resolved them and how he over came them.

Other that that - Great film. I really, really enjoyed it.

Ned1701 05-04-2013 09:45 PM

Not much to enjoy from this movie just a major disappointment. The Mandarin was just sad. Whats with the suits they seem to be really weak now? It was OK to cure Tony I guess but it didn't really explain how they could do that operation all of a sudden.

Valfar 05-04-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FEZaid (Post 506037)
(GO AWAY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO RISK BEING SPOILED)

So I got to watch Ironman 3 during this week, some of you didn't but try watching this weekend, take your family and friends even. What a great kick start to the summer, had fun watching the movie: great action, dialogue, unexpected plot twist. I was on the edge of my seat whenever the action scenes happen. Shows that anybody can wear a metal suit, but cant become Tony Stark himself.

SPOILER RANT:

Not ranting at the movie but the people who are complaining about the Mandarin not being evil enough, honestly those are Ironman fanboys who have their heads too far up their ass to realize this movie target audience are for the mainstream. Its a blockbuster movie, don't ever expect the movie in your image. (Take Transformers for example)

:rolleyes:

:doh:

FEZaid 05-04-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valfar (Post 506233)
:rolleyes:

:doh:

I think you don't like my opinion? please emphasize.

Team Jetfire 05-05-2013 12:30 AM

It wasn't bad at all, but I do question how they handled the Mandarin. Why bother pulling an iconic villain into a movie if he is only going to be a decoy? It would be like if Red Skull was mask, or the joker was a guy in make up. This is the third movie in a series about a guy who has built himself multiple super suits and fought aliens side by side with a Green Monster and a God from another planet. I think the general movie audience can get behind a dude with magic rings... Not sure if that counts as fanboy butt hurt, but I don't really care. I don't even really love the Ironman character, it just seems a bit odd.

Ned1701 05-05-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Jetfire (Post 506249)
It wasn't bad at all, but I do question how they handled the Mandarin. Why bother pulling an iconic villain into a movie if he is only going to be a decoy? It would be like if Red Skull was mask, or the joker was a guy in make up. This is the third movie in a series about a guy who has built himself multiple super suits and fought aliens side by side with a Green Monster and a God from another planet. I think the general movie audience can get behind a dude with magic rings... Not sure if that counts as fanboy butt hurt, but I don't really care. I don't even really love the Ironman character, it just seems a bit odd.

:clapping:

chovner 05-05-2013 01:18 AM

The movie wasn't bad, going back to my statement about it being the worst of the 3... but out of the 3... it was the worst. Funny that I'd feel different if they didn't even mention The Mandarin at all, and just kept Killian as the main villain from the beginning... The misuse of Mandarin is comparable to the misuse of Venom in Spiderman 3, and Deadpool in X-Men origins Wolverine...

Alexander Quinn 05-05-2013 08:44 AM

I won't say it was bad, but it definetly wasn't very good.

I felt that this film just really did not respect it's source material or its previous installments. The handling of Mandarin, which would seem like a fun twist to someone who has no roots in the greater story, comes across as a kick in the nuts to the core audience. It would be as if the Green Goblin were an actor hired by Mysterio to vex Spider-Man, or if the Joker was just a puppet of the Penquin.

Even that aside, there are just so many "WTF" issues with the film that kept pulling at me. The Iron Patriot, for example, seemed to only function when it needed to for the story. Rhodes couldn't use his weapons when he was captured, but Killian got to step into the suit and use it no problem. The President couldn't use the suit at all, but Rhodes could fire the hand blaster by just touching it.

Suits fall apart when hit too hard. They run out of power even though Tony has an arc reactor in his chest. All of the information on AIM is just one convenient computer hack away. Why was that annoying kid not an important Marvel character.

A lot of gripes, but it was still a decent mindless movie. Not ROTF bad, but, IMO, Dark Knight Rises kind if awkward.

Scrapper6 05-06-2013 07:33 AM

See, now I view things a little bit differently, the film was pretty good really, the suits falling apart thing...

Ok, first of all there was nobody in the damn things during the final battle, and the Extremis people appear to be fairly strong, capable of tearing them open and such.

The thing with Tony, I see his problems with the Mark 42 as being connected to his anxiety attacks, not necessarily a power problem, also it was a prototype and unfinished/unpolished when everything went down.

As for The Mandarin, there is something very puzzling about that too. I mean I half figured that he wasn't who he pretended to be when they started showing scenes with him and Killian working together. There was just something off about him, and then when the dude made that line about the plastic surgery I was half expecting the end credits scene to be this big reveal that the real Mandarin was using both Killian and this actor as some sort of blind/decoy. It didn't happen, but that one throwaway line seemed to me to be somehow connected to some hidden plot elements that may have been left on the cutting room floor.

As for the pacing of the film, I didn't think it was too bad, sure some of the stuff happens a little fast maybe, but then again would you rather be sitting there getting tons of exposition and useless tripe or would you rather see more action? Dark Knight Rises was a long film with a few pacing issues in my mind, this... This was nothing compared to that.

I guess I could be a little bit more dissapointed that The Mandarin wasn't this big all-powerful villain with ten magic rings, but... Well weren't they just alien devices he'd found and turned into rings? Honestly I still feel there's something of a set up there for a true Mandarin in the next sequel, considering all of those comments by Killian and his 'father' and that. Perhaps he's actually the Mandarin's son.

My one question is this though, if Tony fixed Extremis and it allowed them to perform the heart surgery, does that mean he and Pepper can become super strong whenever they want? Or will it be this cheap retcon where you can just take it out of the system once it's in there, because I don't think that's how Extremis works.

jjwankenobi 05-06-2013 01:01 PM

Great movie!

Would have been a 6 out 5 stars for me if Gwyneth Paltrow died right away like she did in "Contagion" :primelaugh:.

RNSrobot 05-06-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transforminator (Post 506104)
Some gripes I had:

Pacing was too fast
Overdoing the comedy
The moment you realize that Killian is doing all this because Tony didnt meet him on the roof in 1999
Various other plotholes

It was a fun film, but fell flat on a lot of levels particularly since the marketing of this film suggested that the Mandarin would be villian of the year.

On another note, I really do appreciate the way they focused a lot more on Tony in this film. Getting to see his detective side and engineering abilities in the home invasion sequence was awesome!

I feel a lot of the same ways. It was okay but felt really empty/hollow. Didn't engage me very well. Fine with Mandarin twist, it was clever, but you're bang-on with Killian. I never really got what his endgame was, or his exact motivations other than "bad guy." The movie felt like it had no stakes. I dunno. It felt like a bunch of stuff. And the suits seeming way depowered was weird, too.

RDJ was still gold, it wasn't a bad movie, but I won't be rushing out to see it again or buy it.

Pascal 05-06-2013 01:58 PM

Better than Iron Man 2, that's for sure. Better final battle than Iron Man 1 too (not that hard to beat). The humor was great.

Darth Cylon 05-06-2013 02:25 PM

What do you guys think of the post credit scene? Nice scene with a funny Dr. Banner.

Also in James Bond fashion, it shows "Tony Stark will return". I believe the pre-Avengers movies said "Iron Man will return in The Avengers" Does it mean anything?

Pascal 05-06-2013 03:22 PM

Yeah, that was a fun (but ultimately useless, unlike the other post-credit scenes) scene. I was hoping a hint for the new Thor movie or something.

Darth Cylon 05-06-2013 11:40 PM

I just got my copy of The Art of Iron Man 3. Really awesome art book similar to all other Marvel Studios art books. It shows you more than what you see in the movie. Design of all suits Stark made since the Mark 7 suit in The Avengers. That's mark 8 all the way the mark 42. Some are seen more visibly in the movie's final battle. One of them looks like Frenzy/Rumble with "pile drivers".

UltraMagnus69 05-06-2013 11:52 PM

Just came back from watching this. I thought it was great. Much better than 2. A little bit of a let down with the false mandarin but the action was great. Now bring on Tony's alcoholism. Demon in a bottle was my favourite storyline.

jjwankenobi 05-07-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMagnus69 (Post 506676)
Just came back from watching this. I thought it was great. Much better than 2. A little bit of a let down with the false mandarin but the action was great. Now bring on Tony's alcoholism. Demon in a bottle was my favourite storyline.

I read somewhere that Disney has forbid any Iron Man storyline that would involve alcoholism. So I'm sorry to say the so long as Mickey is Marvel you won't ever see a hammered Stark.

Scrapper6 05-07-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjwankenobi (Post 506681)
I read somewhere that Disney has forbid any Iron Man storyline that would involve alcoholism. So I'm sorry to say the so long as Mickey is Marvel you won't ever see a hammered Stark.

Uh, hello, didn't we already see a Hammered Stark in Iron Man 2? (Heh, heh, what a bad pun.)

Seriously the dude was drunk off his arse while wearing the Iron Man armor, or have we all just conveniently forgotten about this aspect of the film because we hated it so much?

Team Jetfire 05-07-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Disney is not against alcohol. It is a main plot point in many pirate movies.

wervenom 05-07-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

I don't think the person who wrote what you read ever saw Pirates of the Carribean movies. C'est la vie. Got my tix and heading to an 8:30 show, so hopefully the wife likes it

jjwankenobi 05-07-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wervenom (Post 506815)
I don't think the person who wrote what you read ever saw Pirates of the Carribean movies. C'est la vie. Got my tix and heading to an 8:30 show, so hopefully the wife likes it

I dunno... IMO, there's a big diff between pirate-theme drunken hilarity ensuing versus depictions of the hero reaching his lowest point spiritually, physically and emotionally. Rather than attempt to do justice to the awesome "Demon In A Bottle" story arc by showing Tony Leaving Las Vegas I totally understand Disney sidestepping Stark's destructive penchant for the drinky drink altogether.

Pascal 05-07-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper6 (Post 506805)
Uh, hello, didn't we already see a Hammered Stark in Iron Man 2? (Heh, heh, what a bad pun.)

Seriously the dude was drunk off his arse while wearing the Iron Man armor, or have we all just conveniently forgotten about this aspect of the film because we hated it so much?

This. We've seen Iron Drunk, the series is past that now.

takaraJoe 05-08-2013 12:22 AM

iron man 4 better be about armor wars, why the hell was the war machine armor compromised twice?

FreedomGundam 05-08-2013 02:09 AM

Just saw this.

Was fun, albeit full of plot holes and a little too much goofy humor with the Mk.42. You do feel bad for the Mk.42, because it's almost like he's trying so hard, but fails. :)

My rule for buying Hot Toys figures for this movie was "Anything that Stark and Rhodes actually WEAR." I was originally under the impression that they wear only the Mk.42 and Iron Patriot respectively. But, in the "final battle", Stark also wears, in order:
- Mk.33 Silver Centurion (when he goes to free Pepper)
- Mk.16 Nightclub (start of the battle with Killian)
- Mk.40 Shotgun (continuing to fight Killian)
- Mk.15 Sneaky (only partially; when he's running away from Killian)

Other notable suits:
- Mk.41 Bones (Stark tried to wear it, but it was knocked away, I think)
- Mk.17 Heartbreaker (carries Rhodes away)
- Mk.35 Red Snapper (fights some Extremis guys, doesn't do much)
- Mk.38 Igor (becomes a support tower... geez)
- Mk.25 Striker (takes out two Extremis guys in style)

I'm pretty sure I saw the Mk.37 Hammerhead at some point and the Mk.39 Gemini in a wide shot (doesn't do anything, though), but I really can't remember anymore.

Matrix_Holder 05-08-2013 03:26 AM

^ nerd alert. Lol j/k.

brr-icy 05-08-2013 09:38 PM

saw it tonight, put Joss back in, this Shane guy sucks, and if this is the direction they continue in, i'll just pretend it ended at Avengers Assemble

ConvoyGTR 05-12-2013 05:34 AM

I just saw it tonight and freaking loved it. Not sure about all the hate. Reading the posts, seems like the issues are not staying true to the source material and honoring the Mandarian. I personally like the changes they made from the comics. I don't know if a green guy with magic rings would play well on the big screen. Maybe it would have, but I liked the twist and think it just made a lot more sense. Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley played theirs roles fantastically.

Could the pacing be a bit better and a little less comedy? Sure, but not enough to gripe about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheers Ian (Post 506193)
Probably the biggest gripe I have with it was they just kinda forgot about Tony's anxiety attacks and if he resolved them and how he over came them.

My actual gripe is why this anxiety thing is even in the movie? It comes out of no where. My overall gripe about the Iron Man movies is that they are inconsistent:

Iron Man: great
Iron Man 2: out of no where the arc reactor is killing him.
Avengers: great
Iron Man 3: out of no where anxiety issue stemming from the events of what happened in Avengers.

I think if you were to watch those movies back to back, it would seem really weird where he goes from fine to something random to fine to something random again.

Ya, I know, different writers and directors. Maybe it's just me that is bothered by this. I don't think either thing needed to be in the movies, just out of left field for me.

Quote:

Some gripes I had:

I dug it because super villains are like that, just need something to spark the fire. And havin the epiphany of the power of anonymity, scary. Ruling from the shadows is a scary thing.
Quote:

It bug me a bit, but that's how this goes in everything. If there is one of it, it is powerful and stuff. If there are lots of that same thing, then it loses all plot armour and becomes cannon fodder. Happened in TF Prime with the Insecicons for example. It's how it goes.
Quote:

It was a fun film, but fell flat on a lot of levels particularly since the marketing of this film suggested that the Mandarin would be villain of the year.

I hate spoilers so I don't even watch trailers becuz of that. But another thing is sometimes trailers give you one view on what the movie is, and then the movie itself being something different, and having those expectations from the trailer. Maybe I would of liked it less or maybe more if I saw the trailers, I donno. I tend to judge a movie based on the movie itself and not any outside influences.

Man, long post. Sorry, movie still fresh in my mind. And 2:33 AM, so full of adrenaline and curry buffet.

Sureshot22 05-12-2013 09:09 AM

loved it saw it first showing on opening day. but it was my least fav of them all other then all the different suits. i loves me some ironman suits. ;)

hey freedom where do i find more info on all the diff suits and there names etc etc? is there a good book or something on that?

oh and downshift it was guy pierce not guy richie ;)

2 guys a girl and a ironman suit? lol

FreedomGundam 05-12-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sureshot22 (Post 507689)
loved it saw it first showing on opening day. but it was my least fav of them all other then all the different suits. i loves me some ironman suits. ;)

hey freedom where do i find more info on all the diff suits and there names etc etc? is there a good book or something on that?

That's a good question. The majority of info that I have comes from frequenting 1/6 scale figure forums due to my Hot Toys Iron Man addiction.

I believe the "Art of Iron Man 3" book might contain stuff on suits and designs. Also, the book also includes storyboards for fights in the final battle between suits and Extremis soldiers that we didn't see in the movie; we can only hope they're part of deleted scenes on the Blu-ray/DVD, especially since the rumor was that they cut 1-1.5 hours from the original cut to make it fit into a theather-friendly movie length.

Though, as far as I can tell, out of the 35 new suits in this movie, only about 12-15 are actually [i]unique[/u] suits. Many of the ones in between are actually repaints of each other since they were prototypes (kinda like how the Mk.2 was a prototype to the Mk.3, and thus had identical designs); others appear to be more or less just repainted part-swaps of other suits (ie, arms of Mk.X, torso and head of Mk.Y, legs of Mk.Z).

Here is the pic of almost all the suits, and I believe it's from the book.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7414/8...40aae1d0_o.jpg

CobraCommander 05-12-2013 02:00 PM

Finally saw it, overall I didn't like it as much as the 1st movie. It lacked the charm of the surly womanizing Stark and I felt the action scenes were few and far between.

I don't know if they explained this, but why didn't Tony call forth his army of suits while his Malibu mansion was under attack by the choppers?

I did like his interaction with the stupid kid and the Mandarin, some good chuckles on my behalf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjwankenobi (Post 506517)
Great movie!

Would have been a 6 out 5 stars for me if Gwyneth Paltrow died right away like she did in "Contagion" :primelaugh:.

My niece and I were the only two in the crowd to LOL during the scene when she fell in the ball of fire :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by brr-icy (Post 507069)
saw it tonight, put Joss back in, this Shane guy sucks, and if this is the direction they continue in, i'll just pretend it ended at Avengers Assemble

I don't know what this means but I'm sure I saw Joss name in the end of the credits as a special thanks or something another.