Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fraud Alert: Be careful with Walmart.ca!!! (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=79415)

ssjgoku22 04-18-2020 05:10 PM

Fraud Alert: Be careful with Walmart.ca!!!

Just got an email from Walmart.ca saying that someone changed my email address for my Walmart account. The email was legit because when I went to log in to the account, Walmart did not recognize my email address anymore. Couldn't change the password either because my email address was unrecognized.

I've already emailed Walmart.ca about the issue and I'm in the process of canceling my credit card with my bank (as a precaution).

My advice to anyone that has a Walmart account currently is to IMMEDIATELY change your password and unlink any payment methods from your Walmart account (credit cards, paypal, etc.).

I just wanted to put this out there.

nuropa 04-18-2020 11:51 PM

Re: Fraud Alert: Be careful with Walmart.ca!!!

thanks for the warning, I've changed my walmart password and removed saved CC since i don't order much off Walmart.ca anyways. you can't never be too careful with security these days.

Goaliebot 04-19-2020 11:06 AM

I removed my CC and changed password. Their site is buggy as heck. Not TRU site level buggy, but for a company the size of WalMart it's head scratching.

One thing that can easily compromise accounts is password reuse. They hack a weaker site and get your email address and your password on the weak site, then they bulk-try that combo on every site they can. Anywhere it works they're in. Not saying that's what happened to you, OP, just a general word out to all for a common way accounts get broken into.

ssjgoku22 04-19-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaliebot (Post 809154)
I removed my CC and changed password. Their site is buggy as heck. Not TRU site level buggy, but for a company the size of WalMart it's head scratching.

One thing that can easily compromise accounts is password reuse. They hack a weaker site and get your email address and your password on the weak site, then they bulk-try that combo on every site they can. Anywhere it works they're in. Not saying that's what happened to you, OP, just a general word out to all for a common way accounts get broken into.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. I do tend to reuse passwords sometimes.

positivelyken 04-19-2020 01:11 PM

Someone tried to hack my Amazon account over the Christmas holidays. I don't think they managed to get in, but I deleted all my account info and changed my password to be on the safe side.

nuropa 04-19-2020 01:28 PM

with Amazon, you can setup two factor authentication, be sure to do that.

Posi76 04-21-2020 08:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

CyberDragon10K 04-23-2020 08:30 PM

If you Two-Factor Authenticate, it may be a good idea to use a doohickey separate from your mobile device app if possible.

My Walmart account has never had a CC attached to it, but I haven't ordered anything since ever, so eh. I ended up using another e-mail with guest checkout a few times though.