Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Opposite Opinion! (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=25493)

Camaroman2 08-22-2010 01:07 PM

Opposite Opinion!

Have you ever been in the situation where you don't care for a figure, but everyone else is beating the crap out of each other to get one? I have. For me, it's Generations Drift. Everyone is in love with him, but I think his head is ugly and I don't much care for the character. I'm waiting for Blurr. I can, however, understand why everyone likes him (articulation, transformation). So, if you have experienced this, post your experience here.

brr-icy 08-22-2010 01:35 PM

Re: Opposite Opinion!

rotf leader prime, i despise that figure, even moreso after playing with it, frustrating, annoying transformation, looks cheap, talks too much, buster only gets rid of the cheap look.

(my favorite transformation is mp megs btw)

Nemesis Predaking 08-22-2010 01:48 PM

Universe Galvaltron. everyone hates him.
Despite his flaws I still like him.

sacha88 08-22-2010 01:57 PM

I feel the same way about Drift. I've gotten all of the rest of generations wave 1, but am waiting for Blurr. I prefer the look of Blurr, and also like him a lot as a character. I have no attachment to the character of Drift.

CETERUS PRIME 08-22-2010 02:19 PM

I'm only getting back into TF's since last year after a 20+ year vacation :o, but I'm starting to like this Generations line up more and more. So for me, it's been all of the Generations figures, until now :rolleyes: As if I haven't spent enough on these over the past year, now it's going to get even more costly !

shockwing 08-22-2010 02:26 PM

MASTER PEICE FIGURES. We all know MPs are expensive most of the time, but for a MP they should be build well, they have tooooo many flase for a well built figure ment for the collecters.
they do have intresting transformation that do the job, accurate color and design (exept for starscream) but to many gimmicks ment for the kids (grimlock turning tail-head gimmick, why?). but most is size accuracy.......I dont mind if a figure isnt the right size with the others (ofcourse but BumbleBee) but MP are so not accurate size wise, Grimlock is tiny compared to Prime, aslo starscream, I find to big compared to Megatron

also the Updated Cone heads seekers, I never liked them because of their stupid pointy head and every body loves and says "well enginered", his wings are in the way, too blocky to put a grip on, but if they had the ORIGINAL heads well thats when I well be ok (TFanimated seekers <3)

Robimus 08-22-2010 02:40 PM

All the time.

razin 08-22-2010 02:59 PM

For me I only collect characters based on the 84-86 cartoon for G1, for classics1.0/2.0/3.0 the characters again need to be based on the same era. So Drift for example does not fall into that category, whereas Blurr would, so I'll get him.
Also, the toy must be somewhat within scale of the cartoon. I would not purchase an Ultra class item when the orig G1 was a minibot, ie. Powerglide. I'm on the fence with Seaspray right now, cuz he's technically bayverse based so his scale is not supposed to be accurate to G1, yet his appearance is an awesome homage. Had he been dlx/legend size then he'd already be in my hands.

Generations WFC are a def yes, all of them, as they are a beautiful represention of G1 styling in cybertronian mode.

I've also recently fallen in love with Animated so I'm grabbing those bit by bit.

ChrisW 08-22-2010 03:00 PM

There are lots of popular figures I care nothing for: Animated Arcee, Movie Leader Starscream, Movie deluxe Lockdown, any recent Movie Bumblebee toy...

As for the flip side, I did just drive ~25 minutes out of my way to get a HFTD Jetblade. Don't think anyone was really desperate to get one.

Buhawi 08-22-2010 03:06 PM

the FP superion and bruticus add-ons. everyone loves them. i'd buy if FP makes the entire thing. but only as add-ons to existing fugly robots?

also i support and cheer for hftds on the shelves right now. all of you should buy them so hasbro can move on. see?

Echotransformer 08-22-2010 03:20 PM

I'm pretty sure there's little to no love for the Trans-Scanning Movie Prime and Bumblebee from the 2007 Takara movie line, but strangely, I think they are incredible. Sure, they are even harder to transform than MP Megs, but the Alt-modes look like mini masterpieces, and the protoform concept is just so cool!!!

Goaliebot 08-22-2010 03:26 PM

I have lots of contrary opinions about TFs:

1) For me, the 1986 Movie tried to wreck everything. I was a true '80s kid, born in 1976 so I was 8 in '84 when I first walked up to a display at the local drugstore (I know, it sold toys though) and saw robots that turned into stuff. My mind was blown. I bought Huffer right then and there with my allowance and I haven't really stopped buying TFs since.

BUT

The 1986 Transformers Movie was a freaking TRAUMA to me at the time. Killed Prime? Who were all these new weenies? Rodimus WHAT?

I was 10 years old and I just plain rejected the whole story.

I had to stop watching the cartoon because of this, but MY toys took on a different story of their own. Ultra Magnus was actually Optimus Prime in power armor and was still alive and leader of the Autobots. Galvatron was Megatron's rival. Starscream was still alive and scheming. All my friends were still functioning and carrying on.

So there's this big disconnect for me to the storyline of the 86 movie and what immediately followed it. Thus there are characters from it that I completely dislike:

Hot Rod / Rodimus
Arcee
Wreckers
Kup
Wheelie

etc etc. But I liked some of the toys and kept buying them on into PowerMasters (where Prime finally WAS back), Headmasters, etc. Even Action Masters.

So when people are going nuts over Rodimus Prime armors and $100 Arcee 3rd party toys, I'm on the outside looking in. I don't wish for accurate Springers or whatever.

2) I have always thought Bumblebee was a wimp. I don't know why people liked him. He was the one my little SISTER liked. I didn't like a 'Bee until the 2007 movie one, who I think is awesomesauce.

3) I'm an '80s kid long term TF fan who loves the Bay movies and thinks the Bay TF designs and toys are the best TFs ever. This combo of being a longtime fan who thinks the movieverse is #1 seems VERY rare.

4) I believe Transformers shouldn't have mustaches. Period. So I tend not to like toys of TFs that have em.

5) I believe Transformers are genderless. Some may have a build that we humans would think reminds us of one gender or another, but they don't actually have genders. So sexy Arcees don't rev my engine, if you know what I mean.

Sorry, I know much of these points stray from the original points about toy buying, but meh.

Oh and here's one more major thing that I believe that's quite different from most of the TF fandom:

While I've said above what I like and dislike, I feel in no way threatened by the existence of other fans who feel completely differently from me - even opposite. I really think we all need to accept the wide differences in the fandom and be cool with it and STOP trying to change each other's minds. Like what you like and let others like what they do.

Stapler 08-22-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis Predaking (Post 266735)

Same here. I'm also a sucker for the 07 movie Dreadwing mold. Everyone hates it but it looks so sad and rejected that I can't help but love it. :D

CobraCommander 08-22-2010 04:14 PM

I'm just plain sick of Movie BB and Prime, I don't know how Hasbro is going to convince me to buy another when TF3 rolls around?

Camaroman2 08-22-2010 04:35 PM

Nice comments guys. I, too love the Universe Galvatron Mode!

Tekkamanraiden 08-22-2010 05:25 PM

I only own and like 3 movies toys and for two only because of what they're vehicle modes are (Mindwipe and Skystalker).

Although I do own 3 Henkei figures (Megatron, Dark Skyfire and Ghost Starscream) and they are quite nice I don't consider them vastly superior to what Hasbro puts out in North America.

CETERUS PRIME 08-22-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaliebot (Post 266766)
I have lots of contrary opinions about TFs:

1) For me, the 1986 Movie tried to wreck everything. I was a true '80s kid, born in 1976 so I was 8 in '84 when I first walked up to a display at the local drugstore (I know, it sold toys though) and saw robots that turned into stuff. My mind was blown. I bought Huffer right then and there with my allowance and I haven't really stopped buying TFs since.

BUT

The 1986 Transformers Movie was a freaking TRAUMA to me at the time. Killed Prime? Who were all these new weenies? Rodimus WHAT?

I was 10 years old and I just plain rejected the whole story.

I had to stop watching the cartoon because of this, but MY toys took on a different story of their own. Ultra Magnus was actually Optimus Prime in power armor and was still alive and leader of the Autobots. Galvatron was Megatron's rival. Starscream was still alive and scheming. All my friends were still functioning and carrying on.

So there's this big disconnect for me to the storyline of the 86 movie and what immediately followed it. Thus there are characters from it that I completely dislike:

Hot Rod / Rodimus
Arcee
Wreckers
Kup
Wheelie

etc etc. But I liked some of the toys and kept buying them on into PowerMasters (where Prime finally WAS back), Headmasters, etc. Even Action Masters.

So when people are going nuts over Rodimus Prime armors and $100 Arcee 3rd party toys, I'm on the outside looking in. I don't wish for accurate Springers or whatever.

2) I have always thought Bumblebee was a wimp. I don't know why people liked him. He was the one my little SISTER liked. I didn't like a 'Bee until the 2007 movie one, who I think is awesomesauce.

3) I'm an '80s kid long term TF fan who loves the Bay movies and thinks the Bay TF designs and toys are the best TFs ever. This combo of being a longtime fan who thinks the movieverse is #1 seems VERY rare.

4) I believe Transformers shouldn't have mustaches. Period. So I tend not to like toys of TFs that have em.

5) I believe Transformers are genderless. Some may have a build that we humans would think reminds us of one gender or another, but they don't actually have genders. So sexy Arcees don't rev my engine, if you know what I mean.

Sorry, I know much of these points stray from the original points about toy buying, but meh.

Oh and here's one more major thing that I believe that's quite different from most of the TF fandom:

While I've said above what I like and dislike, I feel in no way threatened by the existence of other fans who feel completely differently from me - even opposite. I really think we all need to accept the wide differences in the fandom and be cool with it and STOP trying to change each other's minds. Like what you like and let others like what they do.

You're a tiny bit younger than I, but I tend to agree with almost everything you said. I can't completely recall where I lost touch with TF's, but it's slowly coming back to me after reading this, and I think it was because the writers strayed so far away from the G1 story, that I just got lost somewhere :confused: I personally think the movie figures are kick a$$ as well !

Nice post too, btw :)

ConvoyGTR 08-22-2010 08:45 PM

I hate repaints. I don't understand what the fascination is with owning the same figure again, but this time its red and gold instead of green and white. I understand why some color schemes look better than others and have sometimes been tempted, but its still the same figure and articulation. I'm a big believer in one figure per mold, and usually go with the original or show accurate colour scheme or one I find to look better. I can understand collecting figures like Bumblebee/Cliffjumper or various Seekers because of their G1 backstory, but I'll just get a BB and SC and call it a day, thank you very much.

Also, I didn't think Leader Class Brawl would be as good as people say it was and only got him because it was on sale. Turns out I was completely wrong and he is my favorite out of the entire movie 1 line.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot 08-22-2010 09:19 PM

I was seriously disappointed with Classics Jetfire. A Voyager price-point and they couldn't even find somewhere to put the arms in altmode?

Cheers Ian 08-22-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraCommander (Post 266782)
I'm just plain sick of Movie BB and Prime, I don't know how Hasbro is going to convince me to buy another when TF3 rolls around?

Same here. I honestly don't see how they can improve on Prime or BB anymore than they already have.

I'm kinda sick of the movie toys in general. I'm excited for the next film, but the toys themselves I could care less about.

Cheers!
-Ian

ConvoyGTR 08-22-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cky_ibm (Post 266864)
Same here. I honestly don't see how they can improve on Prime or BB anymore than they already have.

I'm kinda sick of the movie toys in general. I'm excited for the next film, but the toys themselves I could care less about.

Cheers!
-Ian

Opening/removable face plate for prime. You know that's what movie 3 Prime will have.

Perceptor 08-22-2010 10:10 PM

I really enjoyed reading this thread... it's one of the better ones around... engaging and thoughtful. Like one of the posters here I also stopped following TFs for 20+ yrs and only came back after the Bay movie 1 came out. So for those who hate the movies, I think at least the movies brought back a generation of fans who didn`t follow Beast Wars etc. TF Animated didn`t look appealing to me at first but over time I grew to like the toys and loved their stylized design and looks.

Since we are talking about opposite opinions... I am going to say something `blasphemous` on this board... I know everyone is crazy about the G1 figures... but I don`t really care for them, even though I like the original TV show very much. Those original G1 toys have such limited posability, limited playability, and limited transformation that they just don`t do much for me. I like the Universe and Generation lines representation of those G1 figures though... much better playability. I don`t keep TFs in boxes, I play with them. So having fun transforming or posing a scene is all that counts for me.

I`ve given up on trying to collect only one or two lines or stick to original characters or movie characters or anything like that. If the toy looks cool, transformation looks fun, price looks right, then I get it. It doesn`t matter if the character never existed anywhere!!

So I have a mixture of movie bots, universe bots, generations bots, and TFA bots. And since the price on most G1 figures are quite expensive and playability lacking, I don`t bother with them. (I`ve lost all the G1 figures I had back in the 80`s.)

There, I`ve said it. Having said all that, I totally respect the love other members here have for G1s and other figures. I think it`s cool that everyone could be into different types of TFs and for different reasons. It makes the community interesting. I respect your opinion too if you think my verbage above is rubbish... that`s cool...;)

Pascal 08-22-2010 10:30 PM

The Classics seekers.

Bruticus82 08-22-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 266883)
The Classics seekers.

What about them? You love them? Hate them?

Pascal 08-22-2010 10:39 PM

I think they're a bit overrated. I only have the Starscream mold and it's enough for me. :)

Sideswipe 08-22-2010 10:51 PM

For the movie, all that's left that I'd want is a Megs I can love, and a ratchet I can love. Possibly a Soundwave I can love....

I hear that on Classics Jetfire. I also hate his f'in feet and legs. The whole thing actually kinda sucks except for the head sculpt.

Darth Grimlock 08-22-2010 11:07 PM

I for one love the Classic Jetfire mold. I own 3 out of the 5 variations on it. Only missing Treadbolt and Dreadwind.

I'm getting tired of seeing the yellow and black camaro out on shelves. Yes people like BB, but how many different molds do we need (between 3 movies).

Whisky Tango Foxtrot 08-22-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideswipe (Post 266891)
I hear that on Classics Jetfire. I also hate his f'in feet and legs. The whole thing actually kinda sucks except for the head sculpt.

He basically has the same transformation scheme as the Machine Wars flipchanger jets, except that he's bigger, more expensive, lacks that spring-loaded gimmick and came out ten years later (which means he should have benefited from the advances in engineering techniques in the intervening time.)

Jetfire is the only character who's Classics version is significantly worse than his original G1 toy.

Sun Swipe Prime 08-23-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perceptor (Post 266877)
snip..

Since we are talking about opposite opinions... I am going to say something `blasphemous` on this board... I know everyone is crazy about the G1 figures... but I don`t really care for them, even though I like the original TV show very much. Those original G1 toys have such limited posability, limited playability, and limited transformation that they just don`t do much for me. I like the Universe and Generation lines representation of those G1 figures though... much better playability. I don`t keep TFs in boxes, I play with them. So having fun transforming or posing a scene is all that counts for me.

snip...

There, I`ve said it. Having said all that, I totally respect the love other members here have for G1s and other figures. I think it`s cool that everyone could be into different types of TFs and for different reasons. It makes the community interesting. I respect your opinion too if you think my verbage above is rubbish... that`s cool...;)

Well said.

Engineering wise. G1 can't hold a candle to the new stuff. I remember when getting Metroplex to stand spread legged and Scattershot to crouch was awesome posability. BUT I don't think collecting G1 is about the posability and stuff. It's about the charm and simplicity of the figure. Plus they make really cool paper weights. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot (Post 266915)
Jetfire is the only character who's Classics version is significantly worse than his original G1 toy.

Really? I own both and it's not even close. Have you tried a split leg pose with G1 Jetfire? I mean G1 Jetfire is one of most posable G1 figures, but it still isn't up to snuff with most of the modern stuff.

Dragon Knight 08-23-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

This. I quite like the guy despite the fact that his left arm is way loose.

GMfan 08-23-2010 12:57 AM

I dunno...I think Human Alliance Bumblebee and Universe Onslaught are very over rated toys that most seem to love...

joshimus 08-23-2010 01:06 AM

I'm sure many may disagree but the black repaint of Primes REALLY annoys me. I just don't feel the awesomeness of it.
Also Sunstorm does nothing for me.

Richter 08-23-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaroman2 (Post 266789)
Nice comments guys. I, too love the Universe Galvatron Mode!

Can you please come over and make mine into a tank?

ConvoyGTR 08-23-2010 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perceptor (Post 266877)
I really enjoyed reading this thread... it's one of the better ones around... engaging and thoughtful. Like one of the posters here I also stopped following TFs for 20+ yrs and only came back after the Bay movie 1 came out. So for those who hate the movies, I think at least the movies brought back a generation of fans who didn`t follow Beast Wars etc. TF Animated didn`t look appealing to me at first but over time I grew to like the toys and loved their stylized design and looks.

I`ve given up on trying to collect only one or two lines or stick to original characters or movie characters or anything like that. If the toy looks cool, transformation looks fun, price looks right, then I get it. It doesn`t matter if the character never existed anywhere!!

So I have a mixture of movie bots, universe bots, generations bots, and TFA bots. And since the price on most G1 figures are quite expensive and playability lacking, I don`t bother with them. (I`ve lost all the G1 figures I had back in the 80`s.)

I also don't have much love for G1 toys, they're bricks in disguise. My nostalgia love is for the old cartoon and I realized with the Generation line, that Hasbro will probably keep going until they remade all of the G1 toys. So I decided to become a completest about it and with a heavy heart, try and get all those repaints I skipped.

Do you know what a Universe Ratchet cost now on ebay? Way more than I expected it would cost or willing to pay for a dumb repaint (and horrible mold). I did eventually find one, but spent a bit too much for it......

I love the TFA toys too, but I hate the cartoon. I think I'm of a small small minority, but I will tell you why I hate the show. First of all, there are some good episodes like the Five Servos of Doom, but I find that most episodes are 95% filler and 5% plot/character dev/etc. A example of this is that episode where the Autobots become zombies and pointless things happen and at the very very last minute the professor guy find Megatron's head. That last minute was the actual episode and the rest was forgettable wacky shenanigans, IMO.

And not to go too long winded about this, but what I hated the most was new characters coming on for a episode or two then dying or never showing up again until way way down the line. I know they got special guest stars for Lockdown, Wreckgar, etc and thats understandable but why was Soundwave only in the show for two episodes? And why were the Decepticons only in for a small hand full of episodes? Why can't it be like G1 and have both side equally represented? I guess because it's a kids show and kids like heroes etc.....

And in all honestly, having watched all the episodes (because I'm a fan of all things transformers) I feel they never had any plan for where they were going with the show. It felt like there wasn't an cohesive idea for what the show was and this is the kind of stores we are going to tell.

I understand that my G1 bias has probably clouded my judgment and enjoyment of TFA, and made unrealistic expectations for a children's cartoon, but I'm just saying for example Avatar and Xmen Evolution were better shows. Sorry for the crazy rambling of someone who won't let go of the past, but this has been stewing inside of me for awhile and it's good to let it all out on front street. :) And yes, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy.

Zodberg 08-23-2010 06:43 AM

I've met people who hate Botcon Breakdown....
But... it's an underexposed character (who makes sense for the mold) of obscure historical significance, in colors that make complete sense for the set (g2). It is a mathematically perfect exclusive!

Quote:

The Classics seekers.
Is not at all sleek in robot mode. I don't blame you if you need a sleeker seeker.

Buhawi 08-23-2010 07:42 AM

oh yeah. botcon toys. everyone loves these. they're in the same league with PCCs in my eyes... fugly but ummm even fuglier. extremely overrated. plus they're mostly just stupid repaints. i can't believe people pay a lot for these.

Camaroman2 08-23-2010 09:21 AM

No Richter, I cannot.

JLvatron 08-23-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaroman2 (Post 266724)
For me, it's Generations Drift. Everyone is in love with him, but I think his head is ugly and I don't much care for the character. I'm waiting for Blurr. I can, however, understand why everyone likes him (articulation, transformation).

I was under the impression the Drift love was mostly based on the excitement of a fiction character becoming a Hasbro toy.

I agree, not reading the comics I'm not too crazy about the toy design for Drift or Blurr.

Quote:

I have yet to find these 'flaws' you speaketh of. I love him!:)

Camaroman2 08-23-2010 10:02 AM

Seems like everyone's got the idea. Now keep them coming!

Dragon Knight 08-23-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seali_me (Post 266984)
oh yeah. botcon toys. everyone loves these. they're in the same league with PCCs in my eyes... fugly but ummm even fuglier. extremely overrated. plus they're mostly just stupid repaints. i can't believe people pay a lot for these.

Don't forget they cost an arm and a leg. :(