Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Displaying Collection - Aerial Units from the Ceiling (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=10053)

Stoneclaw 08-24-2008 11:30 PM

Displaying Collection - Aerial Units from the Ceiling

My collection is starting to grow, and the space i have to display my figures is starting to dwindle.

I was thinking about making it so i can hang some of my aerial units from the ceiling, and have them fighting in mid air kinda motiff.

Now im just wondering how i could attach my fishing line to the ceiling. Im trying to make it so i have as little holes in the ceiling as possible, and i'm not sure how to go around with this....anyone have suggestions how i can anchor things to the roof without damaging it ?

Nocturn 08-24-2008 11:32 PM

Re: Displaying Collection - Aerial Units from the Ceiling

Tape?

Code of Honor 08-24-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneclaw (Post 73796)
My collection is starting to grow, and the space i have to display my figures is starting to dwindle.

I was thinking about making it so i can hang some of my aerial units from the ceiling, and have them fighting in mid air kinda motiff.

Now im just wondering how i could attach my fishing line to the ceiling. Im trying to make it so i have as little holes in the ceiling as possible, and i'm not sure how to go around with this....anyone have suggestions how i can anchor things to the roof without damaging it ?

How about hanging them off one of those things that you see over a babies crib, or something similar to it.

Protoman 08-25-2008 12:05 AM

While I have never done this myself, a fellow collector who has a extreme large "Gunplay collection" (Gundam, Macross, ect models) hangs some of his models from the ceiling using something along the lines of fishing line and uses a stapler or needed for hard surfaces a staple gun to secure it.

Team Jetfire 08-25-2008 02:14 AM

I use fishing line and little gold hooks that screw into the ceiling. There will be a small hole, but fixable with polyfilla.

Stoneclaw 08-25-2008 02:24 AM

yeah was trying to avoid the golden hooks. stapleing might not be a bad idea. Hmmm well i got some ideas now so thats great, ill go poke around home depot tomorrow see if i get any inspiration

I wouldnt be so opposed to the golden hooks but my land lord is kinda an ass :S

BadJeff 08-25-2008 12:06 PM

I've been known to tie fishing line around the center of a good round (not flat) toothpick, drill a matching size hole through the ceiling, push the pick all the way in and give it a light tug. It'll sit in the ceiling like a hollow wall anchor and the holes are so small you cant even notice it.

Bruticus82 08-25-2008 03:05 PM

If you want to minimize the number of holes, go for those gold hooks, then insert a wooden dowel between the two. Then you can tie fishing line along the dowel in multiple spots, while still only having the two holes in the ceiling. Just be aware of how much weight you're putting on there.

Also, I've never tried it, but what about those 3M adhesive hooks, the ones that with "command adhesive" that you can remove without leaving marks? They can apparently carry a hefty load. They are likely pricey though.

familyman 08-25-2008 08:21 PM

What I do is use peg board, I screw a piece into the ceiling (only makes four holes), And then us hooks I can hang as many things from the cieling as possible.

Stoneclaw 08-25-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruticus82 (Post 73879)
If you want to minimize the number of holes, go for those gold hooks, then insert a wooden dowel between the two. Then you can tie fishing line along the dowel in multiple spots, while still only having the two holes in the ceiling. Just be aware of how much weight you're putting on there.

Also, I've never tried it, but what about those 3M adhesive hooks, the ones that with "command adhesive" that you can remove without leaving marks? They can apparently carry a hefty load. They are likely pricey though.

Yeah, i was thinking about these, i dont have a flat ceiling i kinda have a stippled / textured ceiling, i was looking at suction cups today too :P

Pegboard is a decent idea, i was thinking wire mesh too might be a possibility , Great ideas guys!