Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ShelfLife Beta Test Announcement: Very Exciting Stuff (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=36546)

razin 02-23-2012 10:55 AM

Re: ShelfLife Beta Test Announcement: Very Exciting Stuff

Wow.....it makes a huge difference what version of IE you are running. Versions from 2003 simply do not have ability to run all of today's standards. Sorry to tell you, but technology moves forward, some things will cease to work if you fail to evolve with the times.

Shelflife is making every effort to improve compatibility on IE, but I suspect it won't be for versions below IE7, which you don't have. So whatever improvements they make, likely won't reflect on your pc.

Edit: LOL, Freakx, u beat me to it!

Shepp 02-23-2012 12:32 PM

Considering the rest of the world is desperately trying to move on from IE6 for both security and privacy reasons (among many others), I think it might be a good idea to fire up Windows Update and see what version of IE you can update to. I mean, Microsoft themselves are trying to kill IE6 use so everyone can move on.

IE updating is free, and even if you're not using the most recent IE, it'll be better than IE6. IE7 is a huge improvement.

You'll notice a huge speed increase and better function in general all over the whole of the internet.

I agree that one should be able to decide which Internet browser they use (be it Safari, Chrome, FireFox, Opera, Internet Explorer, or whatever else there is out there), but its a good idea to keep it as up to date as possible to get the most out of it.

At the same time, it might be a really good idea to keep Oracle Java, Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, and Microsoft DirectX, and whatever the most recent .Net thing is out there (I think 4.0 or something) as up to date as you can. This will improve things beyond you can imagine. And each of them are free.

Best of luck.

I think I should try to fire up ShelfLife on my wife's work IPad, just to see what it'll do.

nickh 02-23-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razin (Post 410914)
Shelflife is making every effort to improve compatibility on IE, but I suspect it won't be for versions below IE7

Actually, IE8 is the oldest version we're aiming to support! IE7 was released 6 years ago, which is an eternity.

Scrapper6 02-23-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakx2001 (Post 410911)
Wow.. not looking to start anything here, but Its called evolution of the web. ShelfLife guys already said they are using some cutting edge stuff, and you're browser simply doesn't support it.

I don't know, if you're just visiting the same 3 sites or something, but this is going to happen more and more over time.

Is there any reason why you simply wouldn't upgrade your browser?

Quote:

Originally Posted by razin (Post 410914)
Wow.....it makes a huge difference what version of IE you are running. Versions from 2003 simply do not have ability to run all of today's standards. Sorry to tell you, but technology moves forward, some things will cease to work if you fail to evolve with the times.

Shelflife is making every effort to improve compatibility on IE, but I suspect it won't be for versions below IE7, which you don't have. So whatever improvements they make, likely won't reflect on your pc.

Edit: LOL, Freakx, u beat me to it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepp (Post 410940)
Considering the rest of the world is desperately trying to move on from IE6 for both security and privacy reasons (among many others), I think it might be a good idea to fire up Windows Update and see what version of IE you can update to. I mean, Microsoft themselves are trying to kill IE6 use so everyone can move on.

IE updating is free, and even if you're not using the most recent IE, it'll be better than IE6. IE7 is a huge improvement.

You'll notice a huge speed increase and better function in general all over the whole of the internet.

I agree that one should be able to decide which Internet browser they use (be it Safari, Chrome, FireFox, Opera, Internet Explorer, or whatever else there is out there), but its a good idea to keep it as up to date as possible to get the most out of it.

At the same time, it might be a really good idea to keep Oracle Java, Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, and Microsoft DirectX, and whatever the most recent .Net thing is out there (I think 4.0 or something) as up to date as you can. This will improve things beyond you can imagine. And each of them are free.

Best of luck.

I think I should try to fire up ShelfLife on my wife's work IPad, just to see what it'll do.

All of you make some valid points, however, well for one thing I'm not even sure if I have enough room on my hard drive for an updated IE Browser past what I've got now. My computer is a DINOSAUR, it literally is, I mean I've got roughly 74.5 Gigabytes of space in my hard drive, it used to be 80, but too many soft resets along with the virus problems probably wiped out the other 4.5 gigs.

This is the family computer, it is the only computer we have access to. It is the only computer we can operate because my parents just DO NOT have the funds to pay for anything new. I don't care if you can get a cheap computer for under 500$ there is no way we can afford something like that on our familial budget.

So we're stuck using the ageing Dinosaur. And I won't be able to use ShelfLife. As for the sites I go to, I visit many of them, not just the same three sites or whatever. And those sites are not STATE OF THE ART or some slag like that. But even if they were, I'm certain that most of them would still operate at least marginally alright when just browsing.

Now obviously I could use my Wii to check out ShelfLife, but I do not want to risk getting virus infections on it so I prefer to avoid using it as a dedicated internet browser.

faustx 02-23-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper6 (Post 410984)
All of you make some valid points, however, well for one thing I'm not even sure if I have enough room on my hard drive for an updated IE Browser past what I've got now. My computer is a DINOSAUR, it literally is, I mean I've got roughly 74.5 Gigabytes of space in my hard drive, it used to be 80, but too many soft resets along with the virus problems probably wiped out the other 4.5 gigs.

This is the family computer, it is the only computer we have access to. It is the only computer we can operate because my parents just DO NOT have the funds to pay for anything new. I don't care if you can get a cheap computer for under 500$ there is no way we can afford something like that on our familial budget.

So we're stuck using the ageing Dinosaur. And I won't be able to use ShelfLife. As for the sites I go to, I visit many of them, not just the same three sites or whatever. And those sites are not STATE OF THE ART or some slag like that. But even if they were, I'm certain that most of them would still operate at least marginally alright when just browsing.

Now obviously I could use my Wii to check out ShelfLife, but I do not want to risk getting virus infections on it so I prefer to avoid using it as a dedicated internet browser.

Hey Scrapper,

I hear your frustration but I think we can get you up to date really easily and without taking up any room your hard drive at all. The difference in the file size for the new browser is highly unlikely to be noticeable for you. If you go here and just follow the steps all will be well in less than 10min:

http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/#/intro/xp_win_other

Take care,

James & Team ShelfLife

Bruticus82 02-23-2012 09:28 PM

Just to share an anecdote, I fired up my old windows 98 machine recently, running IE 5 or 6 maybe? Anyways I couldn't browse anything properly, not even yahoo. I upgraded to the most recent version of netscape - which was the best thing I could install on that machine, and it was marginally better, although youtube and some other sites still wouldn't work.

Those types of problems might still be a few years away for you, but eventually it will start to happen.

Shepp 02-24-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper6 (Post 410984)

How much free space do you have on that hard drive? Running with anything less than 10% free space will make the computer run badly.

To help, remove some of the stress, go in and reduce the maximum hard drive size for your system restore. Also, limit the number of megs for your online cache. Something like 20 megs should be enough. Defragging can really help too, but you can't do that properly without at least 10% of your drive free.

You might be able to get away with setting your page file to a lower fixed amount, as long as its at the very least the same size as your ram.

Good luck.

edit: Considering the age of your computer (then again, EVERY computer should have this), it might be wise to get some sort of backup for really critical stuff like tax files and irreplaceable family photos.

A portable hard drive costs much less than a new computer, but the piece of mind it'll give you and your family in case the computer's drive craps out is immeasurable. I don't mean this to be added storage on your computer, that's not what a backup is for. I should really have my wedding photos backed up, but luckily I also have the original hard copies still on DVDs. I partly have my music backed up, and the rest is out of date.

Anyways, I should try ShelfLife on the Wii, and my wife's work IPad, just to see what its like and report back here.

Scrapper6 02-24-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepp (Post 411284)
How much free space do you have on that hard drive? Running with anything less than 10% free space will make the computer run badly.

To help, remove some of the stress, go in and reduce the maximum hard drive size for your system restore. Also, limit the number of megs for your online cache. Something like 20 megs should be enough. Defragging can really help too, but you can't do that properly without at least 10% of your drive free.

You might be able to get away with setting your page file to a lower fixed amount, as long as its at the very least the same size as your ram.

Good luck.

edit: Considering the age of your computer (then again, EVERY computer should have this), it might be wise to get some sort of backup for really critical stuff like tax files and irreplaceable family photos.

A portable hard drive costs much less than a new computer, but the piece of mind it'll give you and your family in case the computer's drive craps out is immeasurable. I don't mean this to be added storage on your computer, that's not what a backup is for. I should really have my wedding photos backed up, but luckily I also have the original hard copies still on DVDs. I partly have my music backed up, and the rest is out of date.

Anyways, I should try ShelfLife on the Wii, and my wife's work IPad, just to see what its like and report back here.

Rest assured Shepp my family isn't that hopelessly outclassed, a few years ago the parents bought a 2 Tetrabyte Or was it Terrabyte? hard drive for backing up our computers important documents and files.

I should really plug that thing back in, turn it back on and make sure it is working right still.

I also personally have two 2 Gigabyte memory sticks for my personal use on all of my pictures (Toys and things mostly) plus my fanfiction documents and other documents of that type.

There's also a slew of CDs, DVDs and even some old hard disks that can be used for storage. So there's really nothing wrong with the backup stuff.

Also, we have an accountant handling all of our taxes, so there's nothing on our home computer that sensitive.

So we're perfectly safe. And with a bit of luck, this time next year I'll be using an up to date, state of the art system. Or failing that, then by 2015 if we can just avoid any more damn bitches back-ending the car to the point where we need to borrow more money to afford a new one due to the write off. (Stupid woman, she could have killed my brother and his friend ramming into them like that, and thanks to her damn incompetence in not noticing the signal light turned on to turn into our back lane we are where we are right now.)

faustx 02-24-2012 01:02 PM

So back on topic, the ShelfLife mega menu has been updated and we now track what you had loaded in catalogue/results pages when you go to a product page so that your back buttons work magically well!

James

faustx 02-24-2012 11:07 PM

Here's a question for everyone here:

Would you rather have the default photo of all Transformers in ShelfLife catalogues be:

a) In Package
b) Mint Loose Complete

???

James