Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Suddenly in love (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=34996)

Nomad 09-26-2011 03:09 AM

Suddenly in love

Simply put, what're some figures that we've suddenly or even randomly found ourselves wanting/appreciating, and how did this come to be?

I mean, sometimes it has to do with a movie or episode (advertising ftw!), sometimes we come across a great set of pics, vids or discussion (tfw ftw!), and other time it can seem to come outa nowhere, at least for me. For example, I had this urge to look into HFTD Banzaitron maybe 3 hours ago, and now I'm shitting myself for not picking him up when Toys R Us had those Voyagers for half price... even though I had next to no interest when I first looked into him or even when I kept seeing it a lot.

... so yeah, +rep (or -rep, depending on how you look at it) for sudden urges. :canada:

PyjamaPrime 09-26-2011 04:16 AM

Re: Suddenly in love

i for one got that kind of love/appreciation when i finally got a Classics Bumblebee in mid July of this year.

the reason is that I had been collecting lots of little bits that can be added onto the figure (FP gun from G3 trailer, reprolabels, etc.) without actually having it. now that it is in my possession, the full experience of my Bumblebee is heightened, even if it's not the greatest of figures

bedtime 09-26-2011 09:04 AM

i think universe darkwind fits this for me. i told myself i hated the mold and avoided a silverbolt in the zellers clearance section for MONTHS, but when i got darkwind i just fell in love! he's rad, and then when i got the renderform kit for it, he got even radder.

TMIIWonkoNemises 09-26-2011 09:15 AM

It had to be Animated Lugnut,ROTF Ravage,and DOTM Hatchet.Since the moment I picked up those guys,I just instantly loved them and didn't realize how fun they were (They're usually the type of toys I get for the sake of completing a line of characters).I still play with them from time to time,just remembering how adorable they truly are :)

Dynamo.Dave 09-26-2011 09:53 AM

RID Scourge.
I had no knowledge of him for years, but I ebayed him a few years ago.
Definitely a premiere piece in my collection. Ahead of his time.

sarmick01 09-26-2011 12:16 PM

I wasn't too keen on the leader Starscream, but when I got him in a trade I thought hey he is awesome.

Commandoclone87 09-26-2011 12:45 PM

For me, it was the Power-Core Combiners. Was really iffy on them at first, but then Heavytread changed my mind. Definitely one of the better figures of that line.

anotheran 09-26-2011 01:09 PM

Animated skywarp. Got me to watch TFA and the buy the whole line up of toys. It was evil!

Alexander Quinn 09-26-2011 01:38 PM

Energon Landmine. I saw it on the shelf in the store and eyed it casually. My wife saw me look at it and popped it in the cart without me even knowing until we were at the checkout. He was a nice surprise and ended up being one of my favourite Transformer in my collection even to this day.

I also have a warm fuzzy burning appreciation for the original TFTM Leader Prime. Every time someone would start gushing about the ROTF Leader mould, I would look over at my movie one figure and smile. I just think he's more fun to actually play with.

UltraMarknus 09-26-2011 02:06 PM

TFTM1 Longarm...instant love that I did not expect!

G1 Broadside...I still don't know what it is but I absolutely love that toy. Theres no reasoning behind it. I only bought it because I wanted all of Season 1 - 4 bots.

Sun Swipe Prime 09-26-2011 02:46 PM

Damn Onslaught mold. Owned two, one a VV find, before Headrobots. After a favorable youtube viewing, I now own six. One for each of the Headrobots releases, and my original two. I was totally scoffing at the mold when it was new. :p

alexsaurus_rex 09-26-2011 03:10 PM

I am experiencing this with Leader Ironhide. He is still at the store but I can't stop thinking about him.

WHY WON"T HE ANSWER MY CALLS?!?

Malwave 09-26-2011 03:13 PM

Beast Wars II Lio Convoy; I was so in love I bought another :p :clapping:

racerguy76 09-26-2011 03:22 PM

Generations G2 Prime. The only mold I didn't preorder, I was lucky enough to find one at retail. One I got him open I was blown away. One of the best molds from that line.

Shockwave 75 09-26-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynamo.Dave (Post 375822)
RID Scourge..... Ahead of his time.

Maybe in 1995 when he originally came out as Laser Optimus Prime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 (Post 375841)
For me, it was the Power-Core Combiners. Was really iffy on them at first, but then Heavytread changed my mind. Definitely one of the better figures of that line.

This.

I've really gotten into the PCC's lately. I've been buying all the 2 packs I can find. I started with getting Huffer because I wanted to add him to my CHUG shelf, and he hooked me.
Mind you I still only have the Combatacon and Dinobot 5 packs, mostly because I just can't bring myself to buy some of them since I've heard that they're mostly drek.

Nomad 09-27-2011 05:15 AM

I fell for Bombshock too, and it happened quite fast. I remember looking into the line itself because I thought the concept was neat, and of course because I've always wanted a TF combiner... regardless of their drek following. :)

As it turned out, I didn't much care for the rest of em, but I really liked Bombshock (especially since his torso mode actually looks like a new bot), so I bought him on sight when I was in Zellers because nobody else in the city still had it. Haters aside, I don't regret doing so one bit, and the fact that he falls apart easily doesn't bother me either because he's displayed in my bookcase anyway.

Dynamo.Dave 09-27-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 (Post 375872)

True, but I don't have that deco.

So, WAY ahead of his time.

tusko 09-27-2011 08:43 AM

G1 Jetfire.

Why .... its articulation! And 2 cool modes!! and Accessories!!!

Megatronimus 09-27-2011 10:42 AM

Im not a fan of Transformers Animated, so when I so the Reveal The Shield Lugnut, I didnt even give him a second glance. But recently Ive seen some amazing shots and videos and him, and Im now head over heels. What an awesome figure with such great detail and a great transformation. I need to buy one NOW!

Alexander Quinn 09-27-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatronimus (Post 375996)
Im not a fan of Transformers Animated, so when I so the Reveal The Shield Lugnut, I didnt even give him a second glance. But recently Ive seen some amazing shots and videos and him, and Im now head over heels. What an awesome figure with such great detail and a great transformation. I need to buy one NOW!

Always nice when someone new discovers the beauty of RTS Lugnut. :)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...nn/Toys018.jpg

Nomad 10-19-2011 04:25 AM

Speaking of shots & videos, I seem to be falling for MP Rodimus, which considering that he's 70 bucks before taxes, isn't really a good thing. :(

Also, has anyone seen it listed on toysrus.ca? I swear I saw it there last week but now it's gone, so I'm like wtfing to myself.

CyberMnky 10-19-2011 11:22 AM

I see plenty at stores here - its an alright figure for sure

Commandoclone87 10-19-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 (Post 375872)

This.

I've really gotten into the PCC's lately. I've been buying all the 2 packs I can find. I started with getting Huffer because I wanted to add him to my CHUG shelf, and he hooked me.
Mind you I still only have the Combatacon and Dinobot 5 packs, mostly because I just can't bring myself to buy some of them since I've heard that they're mostly drek.

Crankcase w/ Destrons (Huffer repaint), Over-run w/ Stunticons and Steamhammer w/ Constructicons are all good sets for the five packs. The better ones came in the later waves.

Lucky you got the Dino-bots, I found them once at the Wal-mart here and was caught between them and the Destrons and could only get one. My love of angry Decepticons won out that day and I haven't seen the Dinos since.

Did happen upon the Skyhammer 2-packs (first time seeing them at retail) and am really impressed with this guy (now if only I had a bunch of Deception fighter jet drones.)

Have you got a favourite Commander/Drone combo?

Mine is Heavytread with the combaticons (repro-labelled into Autobots)

joshimus 10-19-2011 12:26 PM

RTS Lugnut along with HA Jazz for me. Two figs I just think are perfect. Nice design on both fronts along with fun and not overly complicated transformations.
Also I really dig Cyberverse Leader Prime and Ironhide. Though not perfect they both are pretty full of awesome on a small scale.
I'm sure I can add more to this list but HA Jazz and RTS Lugnut stand out a lot for me.

Commandoclone87 10-19-2011 12:37 PM

Both figs are awesome. It was actually HA Jazz that made me hunt down an HA Barricade.

gagagalvatron 10-19-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 (Post 380233)
Crankcase w/ Destrons (Huffer repaint), Over-run w/ Stunticons and Steamhammer w/ Constructicons are all good sets for the five packs. The better ones came in the later waves.

I totally agree with this, and would add that the Dinos are also very good. I don't have the Stunticons.

I used to hate PCC. Bombshock is the only transformer I've ever brought back to the store just because I absolutely hated it. I still don't like it -- it ejects drones for fun and falls over with the slightest breeze.

But the Destrons and the Constructicons are really great and got me to like PCC. They're both solid sets and they engineered out the problems from the earlier ones. They're also just great from a design perspective -- a combiner Scourge and a different but nifty take on the Constructicons.

Big Filipino 10-19-2011 05:30 PM

I fell in love with the Ultra Class Optimus Primal mold. I got it for the first time during TFcon and was really impressed with it's articulation and weapons storage. I've since picked up 3 more versions of the mold. Great toy.

nukedproducts 10-19-2011 05:33 PM

the original jumpstarters. dont judge me :p

Shockwave 75 10-19-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nukedproducts (Post 380308)
the original jumpstarters. dont judge me :p

No judgement here dude, the Jumstarters are awesome!
How can you beat a TF that runs on it's own and flips through the friggin' air to transform?!

jackwacko 10-19-2011 07:11 PM

Galaxy Force Megalo Convoy.
It doesn't really transform into anything, I don't even take it out of the box that often. But when I do.. I remember how epic the guy looks.

+ he comes with a tiny Optimus the size of a Minicon O_o

Nomad 10-20-2011 09:09 AM

Haha, the Bombshock hate grows strong. :clapping:

Galvatron's got a point though, as the combined mode really isn't something that works well as a toy. It's pretty much a display piece, while the play value relies on Bombshock & the drones being toyed with separately.

From what I've seen, the quality issues seem to be rooted in the drones themselves, which considering the 25 dollar price point (which is almost a voyager) is really unfortunate. Like, I get that they wanted an automorph feature that would withstand decent wearing (aka, something that ball joints wouldn't do when being popped in & out so much) & that combiners in general won't be the most solid figures, but damn.

Vain 10-20-2011 09:34 AM

Beast Wars Neo Longrack, it's a bloody girrafe.

I absolutly fell for the figure and had to have it!