Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Canadian Transformers News (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Toys R Us Canada Announces all Collector Items Products as FINAL SALE (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=86783)

Wheelwave 10-12-2022 01:06 AM

Re: Toys R Us Canada Announces all Collector Items Products as FINAL SALE

I think it's understandable. I heard once someone bought an MP Thundercracker from Toysrus. But a year or 2 later, Toysrus recycled that sku to MP Soundwave. So that person returned his Thundercracker and got the Soundwave price back.

Fretburn 10-12-2022 01:56 AM

Now what exactly is driving this? Severe issues with figure swapping/parts theft?

The nature of collectors refusing to buy product that has been opened?
Basic greed?

Regardless of why, it's an exceptionally rare event to piss money away at TRU and now that money will simply be nonexistent to them.

Transbot90210 10-12-2022 09:35 AM

One more nail in the coffin.

I don't see TRU making it past 2023. We are witnessing the slow death of a toy empire.

RansakWORK 10-12-2022 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretburn (Post 867760)
Now what exactly is driving this? Severe issues with figure swapping/parts theft?

The nature of collectors refusing to buy product that has been opened?
Basic greed?

Regardless of why, it's an exceptionally rare event to piss money away at TRU and now that money will simply be nonexistent to them.

Its mostly to do with scalpers and problems with returns. Scalpers would go into TRU (ive seen this first hand) and take all of the new legends, transformers, gijoes and pops.. especially exclusives. They would try and sell them for inflated prices on ebay and facebook then whatever they couldnt sell.. return for full refund. 0% risk sales.

MapleMegatron 10-12-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RansakWORK (Post 867769)
Its mostly to do with scalpers and problems with returns. Scalpers would go into TRU (ive seen this first hand) and take all of the new legends, transformers, gijoes and pops.. especially exclusives. They would try and sell them for inflated prices on ebay and facebook then whatever they couldnt sell.. return for full refund. 0% risk sales.

But TRU isn't good with stock anymore and get nothing first anyways. Sure, could work for exclusives but for anything else, we are already shopping elsewhere online.
No one is scalping non exclusives from TRU

RansakWORK 10-12-2022 10:53 AM

A whole gijoe classified line was TRU exclusive.. cobra island? Numerous funko pop exdclusives with every con and event. It effects our world less but this was rampant in other toys. TRU also used to be much more competitive with their distribution.

evenstaves 10-12-2022 10:55 AM

Man, I remember the good ol days, my peak TRU experience HAD to be, getting all four CW limbs from the StLaurent TRU during a sale, all four were 8 bucks each (pre-tax)

*sighs wistfully*

MapleMegatron 10-12-2022 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RansakWORK (Post 867774)
TRU also used to be much more competitive with their distribution.

yeah, but they arent now, so I don't really get the point of this discussion. Scalping is no longer a thing for non exclusives at TRU. And I am starting to doubt it even being a thing with exclusives now too. Don't see anyone selling Buzzworthy terrorsaur or cybertron Bumblebee on local marketplaces at twice the TRU markup.

MapleMegatron 10-12-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evenstaves (Post 867775)
Man, I remember the good ol days, my peak TRU experience HAD to be, getting all four CW limbs from the StLaurent TRU during a sale, all four were 8 bucks each (pre-tax)

*sighs wistfully*

Yup, I remember that day, got a set of combaticons at TRU Anjou.

RansakWORK 10-12-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MapleMegatron (Post 867776)
yeah, but they arent now, so I don't really get the point of this discussion. Scalping is no longer a thing for non exclusives at TRU. And I am starting to doubt it even being a thing with exclusives now too. Don't see anyone selling Buzzworthy terrorsaur or cybertron Bumblebee on local marketplaces at twice the TRU markup.

Well you are arguing scalping does not exist anymore. If you look at the Canada wide transformers facebook forum you will see a few 80$ cosmos on there if you need to know more. Also like to point out TRU takes forever to do anything.. this policy change is a result of the last few years not just the current climate.