Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old hilarious thread about TFTM1 (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9238)

Pascal 07-22-2008 05:36 PM

Old hilarious thread about TFTM1

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...ncept-pic.html

It's funny to see so many people convinced that it wasn't possible. :)

Whisky Tango Foxtrot 07-22-2008 06:23 PM

Re: Old hilarious thread about TFTM1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 66326)
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...ncept-pic.html

It's funny to see so many people convinced that it wasn't possible. :)

It shouldn't have been possible, and if there was any justice in the world it wouldn't have been.

The horror... the horror...

GMfan 07-22-2008 06:26 PM

I thought "THE HORROR" as well when I saw that pic but once I saw him fly under a bridge, transform and flip on top my mind was friggan blown and they convinced me they could pull this movie off with these "trans-tech" designs.

brr-icy 07-22-2008 07:04 PM

funny thread

pud333 07-22-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMfan101 (Post 66338)
I thought "THE HORROR" as well when I saw that pic but once I saw him fly under a bridge, transform and flip on top my mind was friggan blown and they convinced me they could pull this movie off with these "trans-tech" designs.

I thought the exact same thing. Seeing them in motion was all the convincing I needed.

Team Jetfire 07-22-2008 07:41 PM

Wow, that is funny. Sure the final product was not exactly the same as the art, but pretty darn close to see that most of us jumped the gun on that one...

SPLIT LIP 07-22-2008 07:58 PM

And now more than half the people there think that Starscream is badass.

Well, he is badass, afterall.

Nightscrabbler 07-22-2008 08:00 PM

I think I would've preferred that head design to the one they went with, that one looks more regal. But it's hard to pick out the facial features from the sketch.

Nocturn 07-22-2008 09:23 PM

That thread is lol.

Incepticon 07-22-2008 10:18 PM

The best parts about reading old 'initial reaction' threads like that is to see how many of the key forum personalities who absolutely loathed the design direction ended up becoming the most l33t cheerleaders for it once the movie came out, and more than anything, provides more concrete proof that everyone with self professed engineering & back-end Hasbro marketing knowledge are no more aware of anything than Joe Nobody down the street. The same thing happened when the Animated designs showed up, with all the "that could NEVER work as a toy" strings of assertions.

Still, it's funny how everyone who said "that could never work!" in reference to almost each & every leaked Movie design changed their tune once the first trailer showed up and then started saying the exact same thing about why updated G1 design styles couldn't have been used instead... coincidentially, only after Michael Bay said so and essentially told them what to think. But as CGI has proven time & time again, *anything* can work and look believable if you do it right. Starscream's movie design in particular is proof of this since the whole thing on screen is one giant cheat compared to the three dimensional figure we were given, which was essentially nothing more than a jet backpak on top of a folded up robot with excessive arm/wing kibble that has nowhere to hide.

But, in some cases, I'm as guilty as everybody else when it comes to eventually warming up to something once it becomes clear it won't be changing, so I'm not taking any holier than thou stand here, haha. It never really happened with the Movie stuff since I still think the designs are horrid and don't look like much of anything in bot modes, but it definitely did happen with Animated. And that's the one paramount thing Hasbro can always rely on when it comes to fandoms of any kind - they might bitch & whine at first, but most of them will eventually do an aboutface and embrace it, become cynical to what they were given in the past, and then proceed to repeat ad nauseum with each new series as they're unveiled. It's a pretty fascinating process to observe, actually. From a collective psychological vs. consumer standpoint that is. :)