Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Living in BC? (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=78191)

Setsuna 11-18-2019 11:48 PM

Living in BC?

Hi everyone, im looking to move to BC for work and was wondering what everyones opinions are?

Im looking at these areas and would love to hear from people who live in the province of what areas good and whats not for a fellow tf nerd

Should i avoid this area and why?

Burnaby
Surrey
Coquitlam
Vancouver
Lulu Island

Is there a recommended area to live that is close to the areas above?

Sun Swipe Prime 11-19-2019 08:25 PM

Re: Living in BC?

It all depends on what you can afford. It's not cheap living around here. Generally, the closer you are to downtown, the more expensive it is.

Surrey doesn't have the best rep. But each area has good and bad parts. Don't know anything about Lulu Island. But if you live close to the Skytrain, the local rapid transit train system, you can make your way around to the key parts of the city pretty well.

For me, the top choices would be Vancouver and Burnaby. But like I said, there are good and bad parts. For example, the Hastings and Main street area, is super close to downtown, but it's one of the most impoverished areas in Canada, where all the homeless, drug addicted, and the disenfranchised, live.

SleeplessKnight 11-20-2019 06:20 AM

Lulu Island is Richmond.
It's flat.
The airport is there so there's a lot of low flying planes taking off/landing.
Bad Drivers.
Good variety of Asian food.

Slayback 11-20-2019 07:49 AM

I just moved here last november. I live in New Westminster -near the bottom. It borders on Surrey; 10 min drive from Burnaby and Coquitlam (because Burnaby and Coquitlam is separated by a road) That being said ... pretty boring. It's like living in the suburbs where i am. Cheaper rent - usually means a downgrade in living conditions. New condo/apts will run you on average 1800 for a single. Ya - avoid Hastings and Main. it's sad - and i'm honestly much more on alert when i am driving through the area.

RocketGTR 12-04-2019 06:24 PM

May be a bit late, but I'd say live closer to where you work.

I live in Coquitlam and commute to downtown via transit for work. It's about an hour door to door. For me, it makes sense since I was able to get a house for my family in Coquitlam and the money I make downtown lets me keep that house.

If you plan to take transit mostly for your daily commute, then second choice would be near one of the Skytrain stations to make it easier to get around.

Otherwise, I'd suggest South Burnaby in the Metrotown area. I find it's the most central location to everything.

Pascal 12-05-2019 10:56 AM

Lived in PoCo from 2004-2006. Fun place to live if you like the outdoors, but ultimately way too expensive. Here I got a brand new 2-floor house with a finished basement (and a 8900 sq.ft lot) for 240K. The same money would get you an old tiny shithole of a bungalow in BC (on a very small lot).

Slayback 12-06-2019 02:23 AM

mm... no it wont. i think the most it will get you now is a mobile home. A nice one but it's still ridiculous.

Pascal 12-06-2019 11:56 AM

You're right. I was being optimistic.

Darth Cylon 12-09-2019 11:20 PM

Pascal 12-10-2019 10:19 AM

Cranberries and dead bodies... LOL