Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers Customs and Artwork (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anyone know how to remove Stress Marks? (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31626)

Autovolt 127 05-22-2011 03:53 PM

Anyone know how to remove Stress Marks?

I want to get rid of RTS Track's stress mark he developed in his right hand, Or should i do something to the gun which is causing the stress marks?

Please help a noob when it comes to modifying/fixing toys?

wheeljaxx 05-22-2011 05:22 PM

Re: Anyone know how to remove Stress Marks?

stress marks are a physical change in the plastic, it's not cosmetic, so you can't really fix it without paint to cover it up.

i'd sand down the handle of the gun so it does not stretch out the hand anymore.

Autovolt 127 05-22-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheeljaxx (Post 340238)
stress marks are a physical change in the plastic, it's not cosmetic, so you can't really fix it without paint to cover it up.

i'd sand down the handle of the gun so it does not stretch out the hand anymore.

I herd about putting his hands in warm and cold water to make the plastic expand, can that fix the stress mark.

also how much should be sanded off Track's gun?

wheeljaxx 05-22-2011 06:09 PM

think of it this way. take a piece of paper and fold it. now, flatten it back out. your never going to get all evidence of that fold away. hot water will work to bend it back, but the mark it leaves will never go away, unless you cover it with paint.

you can prevent it from bending more atleast

Autovolt 127 05-22-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheeljaxx (Post 340251)
think of it this way. take a piece of paper and fold it. now, flatten it back out. your never going to get all evidence of that fold away. hot water will work to bend it back, but the mark it leaves will never go away, unless you cover it with paint.

Okay so what kind of sandpaper should i use to sand down Track's gun?

Echotransformer 05-22-2011 06:53 PM

I wouldn't recommend sanding!

Indeed, heat is the cure.

I would recommend boiling a kettle of water and once it's ready, pour it over the right hand with the gun in there because it is what caused the stressmark in the first place. Try not to get water on the decals or the metal...if you do, just dab it dry with a paper towel. After you've poured 1 cup of water, you will see the strees mark return to normal color...if not, do it again. By 2-3 cups it should be totally fixed. Make sure you let it cool for 10 mins or so...

In more extreme cases, you could try a hair dryer, and even worse cases you could use a heat gun--but as you can imagine the risk is pretty high compared to just pouring water over the affected part. I've fixed several TFs with a heat gun but I've destroyed a couple too...

Echotransformer 05-22-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheeljaxx (Post 340251)

Sorry to contradict Wheeljaxx, but I've reduced and in some cases totally eliminated stress marks using heat.

I should post a how-to in the custom section....

Autovolt 127 05-23-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echotransformer (Post 340260)
Sorry to contradict Wheeljaxx, but I've reduced and in some cases totally eliminated stress marks using heat.

I should post a how-to in the custom section....

Oh Please do Echo.

Wheelie 05-23-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autovolt 127 (Post 340325)
Oh Please do Echo.

Seconded!

I've got stress marks I need to get rid of... Like wreck gars hands. :doh: