Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Going back to school (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=42671)

Ironwave 09-22-2012 03:51 PM

Going back to school

Yup I made up my mind it's done not going back on my decision as I am returning to school, a lot of people make fun of my decision as I am 31 years old and I haven't finished my high school yet and I don't want to work for a Collection Agency and being a Collector, or flip burgers either all my life this is why I am going straight to college and then maybe University. I learned a lot working as a Waiter and as a Collector, hence education it never gets old.

Team Jetfire 09-22-2012 04:04 PM

Re: Going back to school

Good for you Ironwave, I'm sure it will be a great opportunity for you!

Nomad 09-22-2012 04:29 PM

Never too old really, and if anything, you're probably a LOT better suited & prepared for it now than when you were younger. Use that to your advantage if possible, and just laugh in the faces of people who try & hold you down. :)

Bruticus82 09-22-2012 11:07 PM

It takes a lot of courage to make a decision to go back to school like this. It's not the "easy road". Be very proud of your decision.

Work hard, and I'm sure you'll get what you want.

Knockout 09-23-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironwave (Post 457342)
Yup I made up my mind it's done not going back on my decision as I am returning to school, a lot of people make fun of my decision as I am 31 years old and I haven't finished my high school yet and I don't want to work for a Collection Agency and being a Collector, or flip burgers either all my life this is why I am going straight to college and then maybe University. I learned a lot working as a Waiter and as a Collector, hence education it never gets old.

I personally found college/university to be a waste of money and time. If you aren't going for a useful career like medical, it's wasteful. But that's just my opinion.

Nomad 09-23-2012 01:38 AM

Well, I think it'd be a waste of money & time for someone like me too, but at the same time, that's for me. In regards to other people, I'd never wanna hold them back because what applies to me doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, especially those who can handle school & who've got a path in mind that requires or benefits from it. In that case, its pretty much a must, and something like as I said earlier, really shouldn't be hindered by others.

jourdo 09-23-2012 12:33 PM

Good for you! I think as a "mature" student you will have a leg up on the young whipper snappers that are just killing time in class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockout (Post 457429)
I personally found college/university to be a waste of money and time. If you aren't going for a useful career like medical, it's wasteful. But that's just my opinion.

I'd honestly have to agree here. University/college is basically a stepping stone to something else. Alone, it will not get you anywhere.

I'm a fan of learning a trade/specific skill set.

Bruticus82 09-23-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockout (Post 457429)

Tell that to the people who refuse to hire you unless you have that piece of paper from the school.

brr-icy 09-23-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruticus82 (Post 457492)
Tell that to the people who refuse to hire you unless you have that piece of paper from the school.

this, good for you ironwave, i'll be going back sometime in the next couple years. without college, you're stuck in crap jobs, or factory work, a lot of factories are even starting to require it

juxtapose519 09-24-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruticus82 (Post 457492)

Agreed. In a job market as competitive as this one, the only way to be picky is to have that piece of paper that says that you know things that other people don't. It doesn't have to be 4 years of University, but you need SOMETHING. Otherwise you end up with the jobs that nobody else wanted.

Congrats Ironwave. It takes a lot of willpower to go back to school once you've already established yourself in another field.