Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Canadian Transformers News (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Walmart Exclusive Generation 1 Optimus Prime Vintage Reissue Out in Canada (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=75262)

Ultra Maverick 01-22-2019 03:27 PM

Walmart Exclusive Generation 1 Optimus Prime Vintage Reissue Out in Canada

1 Attachment(s)
Big thanks to board member Wh33ls for reporting the first official sighting of the Generation 1 Reissue Optimus Prime figure that is a Walmart exclusive.

The trailer-less Optimus Prime figure was spotted at a Walmart in the Calgary area and was priced at $69.99.

let us know if you spot this figure yourself in the Canadian Sightings Threads.

Happy Hunting All

Audetnelson1 01-22-2019 03:38 PM

Re: Walmart Exclusive G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Sighting

on facebook someone sight one in ottawa ! i'll go tonight at my local walmart for a veirifcation !

Matrix_Holder 01-22-2019 03:51 PM

Wow, what a ripoff. More scalper pricing from Hasbro again. This is getting to be enough to get me out of collecting.

cli1ck 01-22-2019 03:55 PM

$70 no trailer? What?

Matrix_Holder 01-22-2019 04:07 PM

Hasbro Canada is really putting the screw job to Canadians with their new prices.

JonoPrime 01-22-2019 04:15 PM

Daaaamn, that meatball’s too spicy for me!

FreakNasty 01-22-2019 04:19 PM

I rather buy the KO version that comes with his trailer for $10 less...

Tonestar 01-22-2019 04:22 PM

I am so glad I have the original with trailer so skipping this is all too easy.

79transam 01-22-2019 04:25 PM

Wow. Add gas to get there and taxes, we're looking at 85/90 bucks.
You can get a KO MP Megatron for that

Audetnelson1 01-22-2019 04:28 PM

i also think its high $

i bought the last wave 1 of cybertron war but disapointed and i will pass on the next wave with the new pricing.... 70$ for leader class... and now 70+ taxes in quebec 14.98% so that bring me at like 80$ for optimus. ...

Metrotitan 01-22-2019 04:46 PM

Re: Walmart Exclusive Generation 1 Optimus Prime Vintage Reissue Sighting

That price is totally outrageous. Glad I own like, 4 vintage Primes (with trailers, I might add...)

Sun Swipe Prime 01-22-2019 06:51 PM

I was on the fence when I thought this might be $50. Well, not on the fence any longer. They can fence this to someone else. *sigh*

steamwhistle 01-22-2019 07:17 PM

Wow.
I'll still bite. Once.
Then again at the first discount.
Then again at the second discount.
Being honest.
It is Prime.

Collectingtoys 01-22-2019 07:19 PM

Wowzers, that makes Siege Ultra Magnus & Shockwave at $70 seem like an awesome deal!

wervenom 01-22-2019 07:26 PM

Good thing I bought the 25th Ann one when it came out and for 1/2 this price. Good grief

JLvatron 01-22-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonoPrime (Post 780092)
Daaaamn, that meatball’s too spicy for me!

We have The Mask fan here! :)

But I agree, $70 is too steep for something that's essentially been released in:

-1984 original
-1992 G2
-2004 20th anniversary reissue
-20xx reissue

all with trailers, and 25 - 50 $.
So now $70 sans trailer???

ssjgoku22 01-22-2019 08:01 PM

Re: Walmart Exclusive Generation 1 Optimus Prime Vintage Reissue Out in Canada

Pass, that price kills the nostalgia. Just wait for the clearance sale...

imfallenangel 01-22-2019 08:42 PM

While I'm a bit Diaclone fan, and while the cab mode looks great, I never found it all that nice looking... I preferred the trailer to be honest...

And here we are, expensive, no trailer, so like many others, it's a pass for me...

(Considering that I have an original laying around (missing all accessories) that I use with my also "in bad shape" Ultra Magnus trailer/armour.)

I have enough cartoon "accurate" type versions of Prime... and I prefer "nice and fun and poseable and such" over nostalgia.

I'd rather have someone make a Siege version trailer that would be reflective of the G1 trailer but updated... Dang I really wish someone would. *sigh*

Soundwaves 01-22-2019 09:05 PM

This will be scooped up by scalpers on initial release, then it will shelf warm when there is no interest.

Rather have the g1 studio series than this.

positivelyken 01-22-2019 09:27 PM

LOL

Hound 01-22-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wervenom (Post 780123)
Good thing I bought the 25th Ann one when it came out and for 1/2 this price. Good grief

Same here. I wouldn't even consider buying this one at that price.

FreightTrain 01-22-2019 10:05 PM

NOPE!

Collectingtoys 01-22-2019 10:52 PM

We can’t complain Hasbro only started getting greedy these last few years. They were greedy bastards way back in 1986 when they killed everyone, traumatized us for the rest of eternity just to sell everyone new toys. So they have been consistent in their greed for the past 30+ years since we were all introduced to Optimus Prime.

Alexander Quinn 01-22-2019 11:21 PM

I really can’t get behind that price. It’s a complete ‘f-you’ to fans, and this coming from someone who is totally happy with his recent purchases of Siege Ultra Magnus and Studio Series Dropkick, even at the new price point and scale. I guess if you really neeeeeeeeed a unique bit of nostalgia this is your ticket, but personally I’m good with the reissue from a few years back that came with a trailer for less than this.

positivelyken 01-22-2019 11:31 PM

It could be worse. It could be a $600 Optimus Prime. :rolleyes:

Matrix_Holder 01-23-2019 12:10 AM

I hope no one in Canada is stupid enough pay that ridiculous Canadian $599 price (almost $700 with taxes) for that prime.

79transam 01-23-2019 12:33 AM

I hope Takara just folds and goes bankrupt. Conglomerate whores serve nobody but themself

Matrix_Holder 01-23-2019 12:53 AM

Takaras gone down since they merged with hasbro, I'm pretty much done with them now.

79transam 01-23-2019 01:35 AM

All my purchases since 2016 have been 3P and KO MP scale. I sure like a lot of the offerings HasTak makes. Kudos to the design guys. But the greed is what goes against my sensibility. I can't bring myself to support it. I truly believe in voting with your wallet. That's capatilism democracy

FreightTrain 01-23-2019 03:27 AM

Well, if Prime is 70 bucks, guaranteed Soundwave will be the same price point or more... as well as Astrotrain...
Hopefully they sit on the shelf and there's a market correction... just like Hot Rod (snagged him for 20$)
And as others have said I'm glad I acquired the 25th anniversary edition of Prime for a steal (25$).
You can also get a knock off Prime pretty easy for 50 bucks...

Way to support the hobby Hasbro!

FreakNasty 01-23-2019 10:37 AM

Pretty much spot on.
And since there has been so many revisions of G1 Prime, no one would ever know unless they were a hardcore collector.

Omegatron 01-23-2019 01:06 PM

I'm actually a bit worried about this. This price is simply too high for what it is. I'm worried that this will get fans to cut back on their buying and that this will negatively affect Hasbro's bottom line. We might also all wait for a sale (like many I don't need this, but might buy it on sale), but the message will be the same. From a sales point of view it will look like no-one wants to support the G1 reissues and they may get quietly dropped. The real message is different, we like the G1 reissues, just not at this price. Perhaps this is what they have to charge, but given that prime is about as big and complex as Starscream, yet costs more, I don't think that's true. It really does feel like a cash grab. I just hope it doesn't end up hurting Hasbro and the hobby, because someone gets the wrong message about why this didn't work.

Crobot91 01-23-2019 02:11 PM

I personally think Walmart would have sold these easily for $100 if the trailer was included. I would think the cost to produce the trailers with rollers is cheap since there isn't much assembly involved and no diecast. I may be wrong though.

$70 seems way too much for just Optimus when considering that there is almost the same amount of plastic and diecast in him as in Hot Rod and Starscream.

I really thought he would end up being the same price as Starscream at $50.

TRUCKvsGUN 01-23-2019 03:00 PM

Seeing as how Platinum Edition is no longer a thing, I just see this as a continuation of the years-long practice of exclusives being over-priced on market entry, rather than a new price hike.

Crobot91 01-23-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRUCKvsGUN (Post 780199)
Seeing as how Platinum Edition is no longer a thing, I just see this as a continuation of the years-long practice of exclusives being over-priced on market entry, rather than a new price hike.

Good point; I forgot how ridiculous those prices were at the time too.

Thankfully, the majority of the stuff that came through the Platinum line sucked and I didn't feel the need to purchase any of it.

Omegatron 01-23-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

That is a very good point. I don't recall those being particularly successful at Toys R us, especially in the states, but maybe Wal-Mart hasn't learned that yet.

Your comment also made me wonder, $70 is the current leader price rate for a Siege Toy. I'm just wondering if someone at Hasbro thought "Well Optimus Prime is a leader, we should align his price with the mainline leader price"

Mike 01-23-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omegatron (Post 780208)
That is a very good point. I don't recall those being particularly successful at Toys R us, especially in the states, but maybe Wal-Mart hasn't learned that yet.

Your comment also made me wonder, $70 is the current leader price rate for a Siege Toy. I'm just wondering if someone at Hasbro thought "Well Optimus Prime is a leader, we should align his price with the mainline leader price"

Makes sense if he came with the trailer..

I bought all the other re-issues, but won't be buying this one.

CobraCommander 01-23-2019 05:59 PM

$70 seems like a steal, heck he comes with two guns!

JLvatron 01-23-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder (Post 780160)
Takaras gone down since they merged with hasbro, I'm pretty much done with them now.

Wait, Takara merged with Hasbro??

Quote:

Very good point.
At least this Optimus Prime isn't colored Gold Plastic Syndrome, i mean, 'Platinum'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omegatron (Post 780208)

TeeHee-ous!! :D

DuG 01-23-2019 07:27 PM

Pass and waiting for the Soundwave... unless that’s $70 or higher.