Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lead times & insurence claims for Canada Post (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=38428)

Nomad 02-18-2012 05:31 PM

Lead times & insurence claims for Canada Post

So basically, I've got a couple of things in transit right now that're taking longer than most (at least in my experience when it comes to sending shit to the States), and in case they end up not being delivered & I end up having to refund people their money, I'm curious to hear if any of you have gone through filing claims with CP, how they went, and ultimately what I should do to avoid being screwed into not receiving a service that I paid for (aka, my shit going to the people I'm sending it to).

Also, before this topic turns into yet another an obligatory frenzy of "Canada Post lost my childhood!!!" comments, please understand that it's not my intention at all (part of why I didn't just bump another), and that I'd really like to avoid that type of shit in here because it doesn't help anyone.

With that outa the way, here's what's going on. One of them that's only going 6 hours away to WA hasn't arrived in almost 12 business days (the long ETA end), another that's being tracked hasn't moved from Vancouver in over a week (which is funny because it also says that it's entered a foreign country without any mention of customs or even being in the US yet), and the others haven't been in the pipeline long enough to raise an eyebrow yet.

... now, I understand that surface shipping is gonna fluctuate quite a bit & I'm used to waiting well over 2 weeks for things to get to me, but I'm curious to know if this is normal for you guys (stuff's usually been within the low end of the ETA but maybe I've just been lucky), and if it's not, what have you done in terms of getting your coverage to apply/get a refund on postage + declared values.

Like, I know there's a phone number that I'm supposed to call, but any information from people who're not part of the system will be appreciated, especially since I doubt I'm the only one who's contemplating have to go through this.

bedtime 02-20-2012 01:47 PM

Re: Lead times & insurence claims for Canada Post

they're not going to be that helpful... i had to call as i sent something IMPORTANT from toronto to brampton and it got lost somewhere in hte system for like 3 months... just ludicrous. they did say over the phone that you can somehow get refunded some money but i didnt really look into that.

Nomad 02-20-2012 03:37 PM

Re: Lead times & insurence claims for Canada Post

Thanks for the reply, and hopefully I won't have to look into that either. It's just that if stuff ends up taking too long, I'll have to refund people their money (namely the one person who's been waiting the longest), meaning that cutting my losses by way of a claim will be the next logical step. I'll let you know what ends up happening with this (if nothing else, to help the next person who's in the same position if things escalate), and yeah.

Here's to my toys not being sent to Nicaragua by mistake hah.

Edit - Here's an update for anyone who cares. I spent some time on the phone & was basically told that CP doesn't look for packages or direct customers to facility reps, and that I'd need to wait 75 days before filing a claim. Makes sense, given that 75 days is usually enough time for people to give up or for the package to be delivered somewhere that's 4 hours away (lol). Then about a month later (maybe a bit longer, but roughly that long anyway), I get a notice saying that I have a package for me at the postal depo. Thinking this is the thing I bought from Flywheels on TFW, I go there in the evening expecting to have a new toy... only to find a package of mine that I'd sent (the one that I'd assumed was lost) returned to me.

Considering that I wasn't charged a pickup fee & that none of the things I'd sent were damaged I was pretty happy, as I'd have otherwise lost a lot more than just the 13 bucks I spent on shipping & the headaches involved. Plus, the guy I'd sold this to was really cool about it, even before I refunded his money which I did long before getting the shit returned to me. The funny part is that whoever opened the package (I'm assuming it was customs, even though there wasn't a notice on it) only went deep enough to steal one of the figures instructions before taping it back up very badly, as none of my gigging was moved & none of the wrapping on the loose figure was disturbed. Well, what probably happened is someone opened the box & simply forgot to put those instructions back in, but it still made me laugh to think that some klepto decided to nab that instead of the transformers right under it.

No idea why it wasn't delivered because the error codes stamped into the paper were marked as "unknown" or something (although I suspect it had to do with the postal rep checking off the airmail box when I'd only paid for surface & nobody down the pipeline having the power or common sense to realize that 12.88 was a small packet surface charge & just move it that way instead of spending time/money to return it with delivery confirmation), but I think this was a sign for me to triple check everything before it leaves me hands & to never send shit from outlets other than my local one unless absolutely necessary.