Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Toys Prices Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=79236)

bqpetn 03-24-2020 08:00 PM

New Toys Prices Discussion

I feel the new TF toys are way too expensive for me to buy
Even with 10% or buy one 2nd one 50%, it costs me $100-$300 to buy just 2, 3 or 4 toys. I didn't open any of the new toys and thinking of returning them soon.

What do you guy think? How can you afford this?

That's why I can only take pictures of old classic lines, which was $10.99, $12.99, $14.99 ($7.99 when some were on sale)

All the characters from the year 1984 Autobots
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...39692309_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...016574d7_b.jpg

OptimusB38 03-24-2020 08:29 PM

Re: New Toys Prices Discussion

My wife is very understanding of this hobby. I don’t think she loves the prices either but she knows I love it. As for returning , if you’re trying to force yourself to like it then yes. Otherwise open em up! They’re mo fun out of the box

Goaliebot 03-24-2020 08:36 PM

Whenever I find myself complaining about toy prices these days and food prices these days, etc I realize how much I sound like my parents when I was begging for the latest TF or GI Joe back in the ‘80’s. My Dad back then: $4 for some cheap plastic toy? That’s insane! :D

There are 2 primary reasons for the huge price increase the last ~8 yrs (give or take), and 2 secondary reasons that I often hear misunderstood as primary reasons.

Main Reason 1: technology. Specifically tablets, phones, game systems, YouTube, etc. Kids are “graduating” from toys to these as entertainment at younger and younger ages. So toy sales to kids, the big volume of sales, is shrinking fast. The growth of adult collecting can’t hold a candle to the mass unit sales Hasbro used to see through WalMarts and the like. WalMart orders a LOT fewer toys these days than they used to, because they sell a LOT fewer. So the days of small margins on huge volume are gone and never coming back. The options at this point are:

Option A) get higher margins per toy

or

Option B) accept the smaller market means smaller profits and that’s just the new reality - accept that increasing profits quarter after quarter forever just isn’t possible with toys anymore.

Cause #2: the US Stock Market. It will not allow any company to accept B above. Any CEO that tries will be replaced. It *will* be option A above or heads will roll. Period.

Minor Reasons:

1) Labor costs continue to rise year over year. I think this is a good thing personally.

2) Materials cost more year after year. This is actually a very small impact on individual toys.

So how do I deal with the hikes?

Being more choosy, buying fewer “meh” figures.

Waiting for sales.

Not much else I can do.

Lioconvoy81 03-24-2020 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:rofl:

UsernamePrime 03-24-2020 08:43 PM

You're correct on the pricing, it's a little much. Looking at pre-order totals to come makes me cringe.

The psychology of collecting is akin to an addiction for some. And I'm sure there are many who buy too much, even if they say they will hold off they might break if opportunity presents itself. Fear of missing out and all, plus the chance of not seeing that figure for retail again.

I imagine MP and third party collectors have a frustrating time as well with $400-$500 Optimus Prime and such.

I'm also sure that Hasbro knows that they are selling these to collectors with jobs who will buy the product. CHUG is a collectors line, there's no 8 year old kid crying because they don't have a Selects Seacon set.

I own commercial income property, money is decent for me although Ive been handing out a 50% off on rent for the next two months to help out my tenants.

The 12th Prime 03-24-2020 09:50 PM

So.... how about them Netflix figures? Ouch! Funny there is 3 different versions of the Siege Megatron mold at my local Walmart right now and none of them are on sale or clearance, yet!

It is getting pricey but so is food and other items.

neevnav 03-24-2020 10:47 PM

I have a pretty good idea at the beginning of the year how much I'm going to spend on figures based on what's been announced and what rumours are about, so I budget accordingly, putting away a certain amount each pay for just that. It's a hobby, and if it hits the point where I have to stop collecting I will.

Xtreme987 03-24-2020 11:24 PM

I myself have definitely cut back on buying TF's. Now I collect mostly other things that are a little cheaper (hockey cards, hot wheels, other action figures.) This way if prices skyrocket after this global mess is over at least I can stay with the more affordable hobby if I should have to. I'll still probably collect TF's here & there just a lot less than in the past. Prices are kinda getting nuts like you said.

imfallenangel 03-25-2020 01:03 AM

The last few years have hit hard simply because they finally nailed a lot of the original toys with modern engineering.

The combiners were finally decent, the Dinobots are the ones that started me on the path of building a G1 crew for the very first time in my life... they sparked the desired to get TFs for the sake of the original series. Before I'd get the ad-hoc that would catch my eye.

That said, Siege was the first time that I almost went and got the complete series, but the recolours and cheapness of some put the brakes on that (that I'm thankful for in a way).

The pricing thing, I've stated my opinion and conclusion a few times, and because of the way Hasbro is doing things, Earthrise will not be, isn't the same story...

I have the 4 main characters of the 1st wave (Hoist, Wheeljack, Cliffjumber and OP (and OP is simply because of it being quite a well executed figure and the trailer, though that is very disappoiting, but exactly what I mean about Hasbro's way of doing things now) and that's all I'm getting, and I'd now waiting for wave 2 already.

For the prices, as they jumped 100% from the size/category, I feel cheated quite a bit. I really do enjoy the figures, but the gaps, the very cheap weapons/accessories is a slap in the face, and I've had to get the 3rd party kits for a few to fix the slacking that Hasbro voluntarily did.

Out of the 30 ER figures that are announced, I'm counting 9 that I want to get in total. I've also got the deluxes from EBgames with my platinum, so I did get a reduced price.

I am planning to try to buy as many that I plan to get with rebates and sales as I do not believe that any are worth the full prices...

I admit that exceptions for the figures that are difficult to get are possible, but I hate to make such, but it's either that or end up possibly missing on that figure.

After I do have the characters I want, I will return to ad-hoc that will have to really be amazing to catch my eye...

So if Hasbro is listening, that 5-10$ increase you've done, will result only in losing a LOT of sales in the end.

ssjgoku22 03-25-2020 01:06 AM

I've probably cut back quite a bit as well. The price of the main line stuff is ridiculous and if there is another increase in their prices, I'm officially finished with main line. I've also found myself slowly getting rid of my CHUG transformers to the point where the majority of what I have are the new WFC figures. My collection is also veering towards more Masterpiece and 3P.

protoform_ironhide 03-25-2020 01:41 AM

On one hand, I agree that the price hike is quite outrages... but on the other hand.. the engineering is just too good to pass up on the Siege/Earthrise if you compare to the older Classics. I have all the Classic figures that you showed in your photo +more... and I was up to a point I quit buying the main line but Masterpiece only. However Masterpiece right now is just too much for what you get.. so I am very selective on that. I have been telling myself to stay away on updating my Classics, however I gave in at wave 3/4 on Siege, and ended up paying double for Ironhide/Ratchet. These new TFs are significantly better in comparison. The main point is, I have limited space, hence I rather display something better/advance.

Here is my new display for this year. I also have another shelf for other TFs and big figures like Metroplex, Trypticon, Omega, etc. I recently installed LED on this new display and I am slowly working on it whenever I have time, I have been enjoying doing it all these years of collecting.

https://i.imgur.com/fPV68uI.jpg

SleeplessKnight 03-25-2020 04:11 AM

I spend the same amount. I just buy less. Or wait for sales. Sometimes that means I might miss out on a figure. Oh well. I feel that Chug/Combiner Wars/Titans return/etc already fill out all the characters I want in my collection. The new figs are nice and I'll replace my old ones where I can. But it's not a priority.

bqpetn 03-25-2020 09:33 AM

Awesome display!!! I wish I have a display like this.

Yes I agree the new line design is "better" (basically more G1). Classic line was trying to create a new look.

However, the quality and the plastic material does not improve in anyway compare with old lines. to justify the huge price increase.

With new design software programs and better mold technology, it is actually faster, easier and cheaper to create a new toy.

To be honest, Is it really worth $29.99 for a delux size, $39.99 for a voyager size and $69.99 for a leader size? O, also plus tax.

Same as MP series. toys r us MP OP was like $100, now the new MP OP is $550+. I don't know how many people can really afford that. Yes, I understand that the design is improved (new design cost), however, the molding, assembly line, the packaging and etc should probably cost roughly the same from the manufacturer point of view.

Just my thought

Quote:

Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide (Post 808159)
On one hand, I agree that the price hike is quite outrages... but on the other hand.. the engineering is just too good to pass up on the Siege/Earthrise if you compare to the older Classics. I have all the Classic figures that you showed in your photo +more... and I was up to a point I quit buying the main line but Masterpiece only. However Masterpiece right now is just too much for what you get.. so I am very selective on that. I have been telling myself to stay away on updating my Classics, however I gave in at wave 3/4 on Siege, and ended up paying double for Ironhide/Ratchet. These new TFs are significantly better in comparison. The main point is, I have limited space, hence I rather display something better/advance.

Here is my new display for this year. I also have another shelf for other TFs and big figures like Metroplex, Trypticon, Omega, etc. I recently installed LED on this new display and I am slowly working on it whenever I have time, I have been enjoying doing it all these years of collecting.

https://i.imgur.com/fPV68uI.jpg

evenstaves 03-25-2020 11:51 AM

Buy, don't buy, it's all the same in the end

I have far too many expenses for collecting, and shouldn't be doing it at all if I was serious about improving my station in life, but I'm here with the rest of youse because I watched the old cartoon as a kid, and the toys were the best

By & large I enjoy these lines, so I'm trying to eke it out

General Tekno 03-25-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide (Post 808159)

\

That display is Bestas with doors, yes? Where'd you rig the lights exactly? Curious given that's rather similar to what I'm thinking of for my own shelving revamp.

protoform_ironhide 03-25-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Tekno (Post 808177)
That display is Bestas with doors, yes? Where'd you rig the lights exactly? Curious given that's rather similar to what I'm thinking of for my own shelving revamp.

No, it isn’t. It’s Billy. BESTA would be more ideal if u have the room for it, which I don’t. The light is quite easy to install. I just test fit it before I put it in , and then all u need is a electric drill to drill some holes, that’s about it.

seancuthbertca 03-25-2020 04:08 PM

These new toys aren't very interesting to me in the first place. I just bought the ones of my faves, Soundwave and his cassette-bots and the Seekers. I have many of the Walmart G1 reissues but I don't see myself buying many of them this year, the ones they're releasing hold no interest for me. Mostly I'm putting my money toward original G1s. There's 3 different collectibles stores within a 40 minute drive of my house. So when I have the money and get the itch off I go. Mortgage, bills, savings and kids need paying first. So it doesn't leave much lately.

General Tekno 03-25-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide (Post 808190)
No, it isn’t. It’s Billy. BESTA would be more ideal if u have the room for it, which I don’t. The light is quite easy to install. I just test fit it before I put it in , and then all u need is a electric drill to drill some holes, that’s about it.

Yeah, I don't know why I said Besta when I meant Billy.

I'm more curious about what the placement of the light strips was and if they interfered with shelf placement clearancewise.

protoform_ironhide 03-25-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Tekno (Post 808202)
Yeah, I don't know why I said Besta when I meant Billy.

I'm more curious about what the placement of the light strips was and if they interfered with shelf placement clearancewise.

BESTA is actually good if you have the room. PM'ed. Don't want to go off topic.

RNSrobot 03-25-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

the engineering is just too good to pass up on the Siege/Earthrise if you compare to the older Classics
I disagree with this. Some of the engineering is tops. Some is garbage. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER LINE SINCE CLASSICS STARTED.

Just because something is more "complicated" doesn't make it "better." Movie leader Prime, step up! Now, does Earthrise Prime look pretty great? Yeah, although, the trailer, not so much.

I think the current datsun is mediocre. Those feet are terrible. The CHUG datsuns are fucking great toys. Voyager Jetfire remains a great toy even if Siege is an amazing size we never had before. Not so impressed with a lot of the Siege toys. It is what it IS. The engineering/paint is not suddenly ten dollars more toy. Not a chance. There are still widespread QC or design issues. FOr ten bucks more a small deluxe, come on. For forty dollar voyager, why are Grapple and Apeface entirely prone to snapping pegs?

Because it is "more G1" I get why that appeals to fans. I'm not necessarily super into G1 toon accuracy. T30 Springer remains the superior toy to me, both engineering and aesthetics. That's also subjective, but siege Springer does little for me, and almost every friend who kept theirs has had something break or go loose immediately, or is terrified during transformation.

Meh.

The price increase is stupid and dumb.

protoform_ironhide 03-25-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNSrobot (Post 808205)
I disagree with this. Some of the engineering is tops. Some is garbage. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER LINE SINCE CLASSICS STARTED.

Just because something is more "complicated" doesn't make it "better." Movie leader Prime, step up! Now, does Earthrise Prime look pretty great? Yeah, although, the trailer, not so much.

I think the current datsun is mediocre. Those feet are terrible. The CHUG datsuns are fucking great toys. Voyager Jetfire remains a great toy even if Siege is an amazing size we never had before. Not so impressed with a lot of the Siege toys. It is what it IS. The engineering/paint is not suddenly ten dollars more toy. Not a chance. There are still widespread QC or design issues. FOr ten bucks more a small deluxe, come on. For forty dollar voyager, why are Grapple and Apeface entirely prone to snapping pegs?

Because it is "more G1" I get why that appeals to fans. I'm not necessarily super into G1 toon accuracy. T30 Springer remains the superior toy to me, both engineering and aesthetics. That's also subjective, but siege Springer does little for me, and almost every friend who kept theirs has had something break or go loose immediately, or is terrified during transformation.

Meh.

The price increase is stupid and dumb.

Yes, there is always good and bad figures in every line, but overall Siege is a lot better than classic in my opinion, especially how they look. The Classic Datsun that I have falls apart a lot and I don’t like the proportions, plus they also have more empty space in between in robot mode, so there is pros/cons on both versions. It really depends on which ones you prefer. There are some that I rather keep the original classic, Hound for example... but most will be replace by Siege with obvious reasons. If price is a concern to the collector, they can just keep the original classic and avoid buying the new ones like how I react when the line just came out in the beginning.

bqpetn 03-25-2020 09:40 PM

Good design or bad design does not matter.

Because it does not effect the cost of the production much.
It cost the same to make the mold, similar amount of plastic, same assembly line, same printing and packaging.
Actually the new toy lines, you can tell that they try to simplify the parts and joints. It is actually cost less to produce.
But they selling much much higher than before. It doesn't make any sense.

protoform_ironhide 03-25-2020 09:51 PM

^Only Hasbro can answer those questions. I feel that Hasbro isn’t here to ripe us off. Who knows how much it costs them behind the scene right? Don’t think anyone want to lose customers looking at how hard it is to run a business nowadays, plus there are competitions now from lots of 3rd party out there. Perhaps they don’t produce that much anymore due to many reasons, hence drive up the price? That could be one of the main factor and why the figures are so much harder to find in these couple years. They may not make the toys themselves instead find factories to make the toys for them, so making less could cost them more.

imfallenangel 03-26-2020 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide (Post 808208)
^Only Hasbro can answer those questions. I feel that Hasbro isn’t here to ripe us off. Who knows how much it costs them behind the scene right? Don’t think anyone want to lose customers looking at how hard it is to run a business nowadays, plus there are competitions now from lots of 3rd party out there. Perhaps they don’t produce that much anymore due to many reasons, hence drive up the price? That could be one of the main factor and why the figures are so much harder to find in these couple years. They may not make the toys themselves instead find factories to make the toys for them, so making less could cost them more.

Like all capitalist company it's about maximizing profit.

They do not care to lose 100 customer, if they get to produce 1/3 of products and still have 30 customers that are paying multiple times the actual value and still making more money than if they sold at lower prices to more customers.

Their target audience are the ones that has the most money and to take as much as these peoples will accept to give them, it's as simple as that.

Look at the fundme for Unicron.. people lines up to bend over and were shouting how great it was to overpay... I don't aim to offend, but to be honest about the fact that this was a social experiment to see if they would have the numbers to justify such a price, and those that threw themselves on the pile, did just that.

How much does it cost? Plastic prices are at a very low point at this time. Technology has made mold production a LOT cheaper than ever before with much better precision than how they were done just 10 years ago (so less testing and redos of molds due to defects). If anything, prices should be the same, of even lower at this point... but supply and demand has made them to simply pull more money in but doing less.

When you see a lot of figures being produced dirt cheap that ends up as "KOs" that are just as good but at 1/2 or even as much as 1/4 of the "original" price and still making a decent profit, when you see 3rd parties able to make excellent original figures (or other toys) at still a much lower price, and many times, much better quality than Hasbro does, when you see that Hasbro is making huge profits on their quarterly/yearly reports, then at some point, you have to realize that Hasbro is absolutely in it for the money and it overpricing these figures by a lot, simply because they know that they will sell enough, even in smaller numbers but larger prices, to make money by the truckload.

To think otherwise is to not understand these points that are quite a reality.

At this point, if the Siege and ER figures hadn't been done with better plastic and improved engineering, if they didn't go with the characters that would appeal the most (and they keep measuring responses and activity about what people are still asking for), only to ensure interest, there would have been a huge decline in their sales as for the kids, most that's out there now, it expensive and not that great to be honest, but they do manage to do figures that has just enough appeal to draw people in.

Siege and ER has a few amazing figures, but as I've repeatedly stated, they do act with the "this is good enough, it'll sell" for almost all figures.

The gaps, the lack of decent accessories, being my main pet peeve for just about every of these figures.

I've never had to buy as many 3rd party add-on kits, never had to paint or customize as much as I have with my figures as I've done in the last year... all because they are all missing that little extra that would make the figures "too good" I guess, for Hasbro.

Every figure that I find amazing but lacks that little "extra" push that should be there, pushes me further and further from future purchases... and that's on Hasbro.

RNSrobot 03-26-2020 01:00 AM

Quote:

. Look at the fundme for Unicron.. people lines up to bend over and were shouting how great it was to overpay... I don't aim to offend, but to be honest about the fact that this was a social experiment to see if they would have the numbers to justify such a price, and those that threw themselves on the pile, did just that.
This x1000.

protoform_ironhide 03-26-2020 01:57 AM

That Unicron...it's just a big chunk of plastic. I have to agree with you on that one... Not worth the money and shelf space at all... LOL

alternatorfan 03-26-2020 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide (Post 808227)
That Unicron...it's just a big chunk of plastic. I have to agree with you on that one... Not worth the money and shelf space at all... LOL

Although it would be nice to have.

Zenith27 03-26-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imfallenangel (Post 808223)
How much does it cost? Plastic prices are at a very low point at this time. Technology has made mold production a LOT cheaper than ever before with much better precision than how they were done just 10 years ago (so less testing and redos of molds due to defects). If anything, prices should be the same, of even lower at this point... but supply and demand has made them to simply pull more money in but doing less.

I work in manufacturing and deal with plastic parts somewhat similar to what are in Transformers and I can tell you there are some extra costs involved that you are perhaps not considering.

While the amount of plastic in the newer releases remains similar, the increased articulation adds a lot more cost. Each mold needed has a fixed cost to produce/use/store.

You may be able to machine a mold in half the time now, but you need to machine 3-4 different molds for an arm for example, where you used to use 1-2. Also, all those molds now take up more setup time and cost more to store (storage/shipping of molds can be a considerable cost).

Each arm now takes double the assembly time, add increased paint apps like the most recent bots and the cost can increase significantly.

Not saying they're not making more money off us rich collectors rather than dumb kids but I don't think they're COMPLETELY evil. They certainty need to amortize the setup/design costs over fewer unit sales to collectors. Maybe the Vietnamese workers are demanding better wages these days as well.

bqpetn 03-26-2020 10:57 PM

agree 100%

Quote:

Originally Posted by imfallenangel (Post 808223)
Like all capitalist company it's about maximizing profit.

They do not care to lose 100 customer, if they get to produce 1/3 of products and still have 30 customers that are paying multiple times the actual value and still making more money than if they sold at lower prices to more customers.

Their target audience are the ones that has the most money and to take as much as these peoples will accept to give them, it's as simple as that.

Look at the fundme for Unicron.. people lines up to bend over and were shouting how great it was to overpay... I don't aim to offend, but to be honest about the fact that this was a social experiment to see if they would have the numbers to justify such a price, and those that threw themselves on the pile, did just that.

When you see a lot of figures being produced dirt cheap that ends up as "KOs" that are just as good but at 1/2 or even as much as 1/4 of the "original" price and still making a decent profit, when you see 3rd parties able to make excellent original figures (or other toys) at still a much lower price, and many times, much better quality than Hasbro does, when you see that Hasbro is making huge profits on their quarterly/yearly reports, then at some point, you have to realize that Hasbro is absolutely in it for the money and it overpricing these figures by a lot, simply because they know that they will sell enough, even in smaller numbers but larger prices, to make money by the truckload.

To think otherwise is to not understand these points that are quite a reality.

At this point, if the Siege and ER figures hadn't been done with better plastic and improved engineering, if they didn't go with the characters that would appeal the most (and they keep measuring responses and activity about what people are still asking for), only to ensure interest, there would have been a huge decline in their sales as for the kids, most that's out there now, it expensive and not that great to be honest, but they do manage to do figures that has just enough appeal to draw people in.

Siege and ER has a few amazing figures, but as I've repeatedly stated, they do act with the "this is good enough, it'll sell" for almost all figures.

The gaps, the lack of decent accessories, being my main pet peeve for just about every of these figures.

I've never had to buy as many 3rd party add-on kits, never had to paint or customize as much as I have with my figures as I've done in the last year... all because they are all missing that little extra that would make the figures "too good" I guess, for Hasbro.

Every figure that I find amazing but lacks that little "extra" push that should be there, pushes me further and further from future purchases... and that's on Hasbro.

Mumps 03-27-2020 02:54 AM

All prices are high. Just look at 3P. Yeah, I know, smaller production runs and all that, but... we pay $30 for a deluxe, a toy that is quite good. Now let's look at NewAge, who BTW are producing masterpieces. Their products are damn near unaffordable. If you were to scale up their incredible engineering talent to MP sized figures, they would cost damn near as much as Unicron!

Not exactly sure where I was going with this... I want to be able to afford NewAge toys...Right now, I can only afford Hasbro.

OptimusB38 03-27-2020 06:10 AM

They cut the size of the figures down and made a bigger box. Bs IMO , my kids play with these often and I often have to fix or return. They play withClassics HFTD etc no issues. They need to stop wasting their time and money on packaging. That should knock the price and garbage down. The new figures need work, good enough is not good enough when u double prices

bqpetn 03-27-2020 06:05 PM

totally agree.

look many other products, electronics, cars, appliances and other. The products get better and better but not with huge price jumps. Many are even cheaper and better than previous ones.
Transformers toys are basically on the low tech level of products. But the new lines are just same quality or sometimes worse quality than before and the price is increased so much.

I also make gundams. Yes, the new ones are a little more expensive. But I can tell the improvements on the design details, the mold quality and etc, which is reasonable for the price increase.

The new line of transformers toys, you can feel the cheapness when you are playing with it.

Just my thoughts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OptimusB38 (Post 808263)
They cut the size of the figures down and made a bigger box. Bs IMO , my kids play with these often and I often have to fix or return. They play withClassics HFTD etc no issues. They need to stop wasting their time and money on packaging. That should knock the price and garbage down. The new figures need work, good enough is not good enough when u double prices

UsernamePrime 03-27-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bqpetn (Post 808302)
totally agree.

look many other products, electronics, cars, appliances and other. The products get better and better but not with huge price jumps. Many are even cheaper and better than previous ones.
Transformers toys are basically on the low tech level of products. But the new lines are just same quality or sometimes worse quality than before and the price is increased so much.

Reason for that is because for every Samsung product there is an Apple, RCA, Vizio, LG, Sony... If you want an official Transformer then you're knocking on one door and one door only.

imfallenangel 03-27-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith27 (Post 808248)
I work in manufacturing and deal with plastic parts somewhat similar to what are in Transformers and I can tell you there are some extra costs involved that you are perhaps not considering.

While the amount of plastic in the newer releases remains similar, the increased articulation adds a lot more cost. Each mold needed has a fixed cost to produce/use/store.

You may be able to machine a mold in half the time now, but you need to machine 3-4 different molds for an arm for example, where you used to use 1-2. Also, all those molds now take up more setup time and cost more to store (storage/shipping of molds can be a considerable cost).

Each arm now takes double the assembly time, add increased paint apps like the most recent bots and the cost can increase significantly.

Not saying they're not making more money off us rich collectors rather than dumb kids but I don't think they're COMPLETELY evil. They certainty need to amortize the setup/design costs over fewer unit sales to collectors. Maybe the Vietnamese workers are demanding better wages these days as well.

When I could simply look around my office and name probably 20 to 50 figures from barely 5 to 10 years ago that have a huge number of parts and such, have almost no gaps, have great weapons that are full and shoot missiles or such, add to the fact that the molds most certainly were more difficult to produce and if any mistakes had to be redone would have driven the prices higher, and yet we didn't see it then.

When we see that prices (for deluxes as example) jumped from around 12$ to 15$, and then again to 20$, from one series to another in the last few years, but then jumped at 30$ instantly with Siege, there is absolutely no justification.

The only possibility would be that they had been loosing a huge amount of money due to under-pricing, but they have always been making huge profits, so that kills that "possibility".

And again, the 3rd parties (those that aren't selling at insane prices), are selling at easily 1/2 the prices and still making enough profit, to warrant making them.. They have the same expenses as Hasbro, molds, plastics, development/design teams, etc.

Everything has "extra costs", I've rarely seen a single project that manages to avoid such.

That kinda kills any argument or justification.

I'm not trying to yell "evil Hasbro" but that they are simply over-pricing, and being cheap as hell...

I would be happy with these prices IF the figures were gap-less and had better weapons/accessories.

predahank 03-27-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumps (Post 808260)
All prices are high. Just look at 3P. Yeah, I know, smaller production runs and all that, but... we pay $30 for a deluxe, a toy that is quite good. Now let's look at NewAge, who BTW are producing masterpieces. Their products are damn near unaffordable. If you were to scale up their incredible engineering talent to MP sized figures, they would cost damn near as much as Unicron!

Not exactly sure where I was going with this... I want to be able to afford NewAge toys...Right now, I can only afford Hasbro.

3p actually seems to be the ones that haven't increased prices exponentially. Mainline has increased but mp has gone lunatic.

$200 mp-10 optimus with trailer
$550 mp-44 optimus with trailer

$70 mp-12 sideswipe
$145 mp-39 sunstreaker

To be fair the later releases have more parts/articulation (much like mainline) compared to the predecessors, but more than double the price?

Lets compare some 3p offerings by magic square and transform element which are comparable to the toon aesthetics of mp-44. They cost about $150 albeit without trailer. That's nearly a $400 difference!

I've always been a supporter of takara but they give me mp-hound which mostly come broken or crack from just being displayed and I happily buy a 3p offering which is pretty flat in pricing over the years.

Nocturn 03-27-2020 07:46 PM

Buy less
Buy only with a discount
Only free shipping
No Gods
No Masters

OptimusB38 03-27-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bqpetn (Post 808302)
totally agree.

I also make gundams. Yes, the new ones are a little more expensive. But I can tell the improvements on the design details, the mold quality and etc, which is reasonable for the price increase.

The new line of transformers toys, you can feel the cheapness when you are playing with it.

Just my thoughts

We have no problem paying for quality product , we just want it to last! Clearly there’s enough of us to keep it going! Keep us interested HasTak!

bqpetn 03-28-2020 06:40 PM

The recent jetfire release is $129.99. Then it was on sale at toys r us for $48.99.
Also for Trypitcon, Fortress Max, retail price at $239.99, but you can get it under $100 when these were on sale.
So you know how big the profit margin is.