Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers Customs and Artwork (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Repaints & Minor Mods G1 JETFIRE nose cone repaint (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=68092)

metacooler 04-23-2017 12:19 AM

G1 JETFIRE nose cone repaint

Hi, recently I bought a G1 JETFIRE complete with box, sticker sheet and unused accessories. Jetfire is in amazing condition, it is super white and the joints are so tight that I doubt it was transformed more than once. The issue it has is the nose cone has rubbed and some of the red is gone. I am wondering if it is possible to repaint the nose cone or should I look for another bot to complete the set. Does anyone on this forum do this kind of work and how much do you think it would cost. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

GotBot 04-23-2017 07:30 AM

Re: G1 JETFIRE nose cone repaint

If it js scuffed off then you should just be able to touch it up. The trick is finding a red to match. and making sure it matches the paint on it as matte or gloss or whatever.

Bruticus82 04-23-2017 09:26 AM

The nose is metal right? How badly is it? Just a bit? Or does the whole nose have to be repainted? Is the nose easily removable if you do some disassembly? I ask because my jetfire is not close at hand.

I agree that matching the paint is the tough part, particularly on a toy where the paint may be somewhat faded (although that does not seem to be the case here).

We do have a lot of customizers on here, hopefully you will get some good tips, or find someone nearby willing to do it.

If you have to go it alone maybe some Tamiya brand paints would be a good match. You can get those in Toronto at various hobby stores, and AnimeXtreme on Spadina carries Tamiya paints for sure.

metacooler 04-23-2017 08:58 PM

thanks for the info. the nose cone is metal but I don't see a way of disassembling it, I may be wrong. it is about 1\4 rubbed off and the rest of the paint remaining is pretty good.

metacooler 04-28-2017 10:22 PM

Do any other board members have any suggestions?

elburrito 04-28-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metacooler (Post 729080)
Do any other board members have any suggestions?

Jetfire can be disassembled. He's tricky and the nose cone is one of the last steps.

matching the colour is beyond my skill. if i were to paint jetfire, i would likely disassemble and do all the red.

if you plan on selling, leave it alone. repaint is worse than rubbed point imo. otherwise, i recommend "Tamiya" acrylic spray and modelling/masking tape.

you could do just the nose without disassembling by putting jetfire in a garbage bag and taping the bag closed with just the nosecone exposed.

tamiya dries fast, but you can also mix it by spraying on a piece of cardboard and using a brush. also self leveling so it looks alright with a paint brush.

metacooler 04-30-2017 12:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to resell but was hoping to fix it because overall jetfire is in such good condition. But you have a point, the original condition would be best for it's value. I'm going to get some Tamiya paint and practice on another bot.

Pgianos 04-30-2017 09:35 AM

Can you let us know how it goes I've been thinking of doing the same thing but I have no skill set.. :/

metacooler 05-01-2017 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pgianos (Post 729183)
Can you let us know how it goes I've been thinking of doing the same thing but I have no skill set.. :/

I don't have the skills either. I do have another junk jetfire I will try it on and let you know if it works/matches