Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Silver Snail has been sold and will move from is Queen Street location (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=30632)

pud333 04-09-2011 12:00 PM

Re: Silver Snail has been sold and will move from is Queen Street location

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLogicalProwl (Post 329417)
Yeah, their TFs were overpriced, but for me its still news.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...n-sold-to-move

That's a cool Bob Dylan story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Rage (Post 329453)
Ouch. Can't say I'm not surprised. A lot of the indie stores on Queen Street West have been sold/replaced by the landlords into corporate big chain clothing stores like H&M, American Apparel.

Alas, it is what it is. Rent in major city centers is becoming ridiculous. Here in Vancouver, you're seeing the same thing, with bigger chain stores attempting to move into the main street / Mt. Pleasant area. It sucks, cause it completely changes the complexion and feel of these great neighborhoods. Only the big chain stores can afford the rent being charged these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheers Ian (Post 329517)
They aren't moving until at least February 2012. Over a year at the current location left.

Excellent. I might try to swing by when I go to Toronto this September.

TMIIWonkoNemises 04-09-2011 01:58 PM

My best friend introduced me to the place back in 07 when I was finally get into the Nerdom.Since then when I get the chance,I always go there to buy a few Spawn/TF merchandise.I also got to hang out there with all of my girlfriends,one of my former boyfriends,and even one of my writer friends.

Sad news though,but at least it's not getting closed down.

Cheers Ian 04-09-2011 03:50 PM

I can't say I blame the owner if he's retiring from the Business. The building (which he owns) is worth millions just based on location alone, I'm sure the potential profit based on the sale of the building alone is the major contributor for the store moving locations.

Dark Rage 04-10-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheers Ian (Post 329623)
I can't say I blame the owner if he's retiring from the Business. The building (which he owns) is worth millions just based on location alone, I'm sure the potential profit based on the sale of the building alone is the major contributor for the store moving locations.

Millions? Dunno about that. Maybe A million. It's still a pretty small building compared to the ones beside it. It's amazing how much they manage to squeeze in there though. There's also that alleyway beside it, which gives it some awesome breathing space for customers and staff (and sometimes street vendors selling art/knicknacks).

I'd be happy if it moves to the Annex. Just need to predict a possibly failing business for it to move into (sorry to be mean, but that's just how it is).

Quantum 04-10-2011 01:36 AM

It's definitely in the millions. I'm buddies with the new owner, and yeah, the guy who's retiring did quite well.

-KG- 04-10-2011 01:03 PM

I love this store, but this isn't a big deal to me, since it's just moving. If anything a new location gives them the opportunity to make the store more epic.

Aernaroth 04-10-2011 03:14 PM

Really? That's a shame, but understandable. I hope they're able to take some of the magic with them wherever they end up.

Darkspeed 04-10-2011 05:50 PM

A shame they're leaving Queen St, the old store has such a great feel to it. But like they said, gotta move where the business is and Queen Street just isn't it. At least they've got about another year there.

MaP_Prime 04-10-2011 11:07 PM

At first I was all sad and thought the store was closing down, but I'm happy to see they're just moving. I was there only a few times, but I loved it each time, hell the comic book store I worked in for a year was actually modeled after the SS because it was such a great store.

I hope they do well in they're new location, and if I can get to TFcon this year I might try and get there for a visit.

Prowl_2009 04-11-2011 09:57 AM

This really is the end of an era.