Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   TFcon Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   TFcon 2014 Panel Suggestions (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=52266)

zackmak 03-24-2014 07:30 PM

TFcon 2014 Panel Suggestions

Would love to see a 'credited expert' of some sort, or if anything, a VERY knowledgeable, unbiased individual who can discuss the topic of appraising Transformers from all angles (price, condition, historical values, future trends, etc.). Keeping it to Transformers (and not all action figure toys), would allow them to get very specific with old and present toylines. Maybe even have a handout to be given out to the attendees with recent values of the TF figures (loose and complete; MIB; MISB categories), similar to what Toyfare magazine used to do.

Is there a current, unbiased value guide for TF? I know there are a couple books from the past focusing on G1, but they are waaay old and probably would not be very accurate. And the only thing I see on the internet is 'selling' prices, all over the map.

In addition (or maybe even a different panel), have someone talk about

- protecting toys (types of cases, how to store, etc.)

- repairing common problems (i.e. yellowing plastic, loose joints, glue from stickers, etc)

- and even neat displaying methods

Bruticus82 03-24-2014 08:24 PM

Re: TFcon 2014 Panel Suggestions

Not sure if a credited expert who is unbiased exists.

Your best guide for value, pretty honestly, is recently completed auctions on ebay.

I think there are one or two people on these boards who work at museums and have posted before regarding protecting transformers from light, etc.

Common repairs sounds like it could be some kind of specialty customizing type class.

Nullray 03-24-2014 09:00 PM

Mark Bellomo is a great guy and very knowledgeable of things. He wrote a few collectors guides for different toy lines including TFs.

Knockout 03-24-2014 10:17 PM

Fan debate topic panels
(Like... who would make a better leader Megatron or Starscream, or is having Bee the leader of the new show a good idea or not. If people be adult about it)

Universe/show Panels
(G1 panel, Prime panel, Bayverse panel, Bayverse vs. G1, what you wish was touched, what you wished remained untouched, comic specific panels like a More then Meets the Eye/Robots in Disguise panel)

Guest Panels
(Just like in the past. If you have Barber and Roberts this year, I would love a panel just for them alone but together, debating and talking about MTMTE and RID).

Artist Panels
(Like give the artists that attend a panel. Either on their own or together, talk about the process, working together, things they disagree on, how they got into the business, some tutorials)

Cosplay Panels
(Rigging, adding light elements, best materials to use, etc, best way to post, best way to do helms and optics, using high tech elements)

Masterpiece discussion panel
(Just between the attendees, who do you wish and didn't wish to be made, basic talk stuff)

If Hasbro is there, a Hasbro panel

(Attendees can give their feedback on products and suggest what they are really looking for in Hasbro product for one. Good time to see some new stuff in person)

Voice Acting guest panels
(just like what we have every year.)

Purchasing Third Parties panel

(this might just go with the regular third party panel)

Bootleg/knock off panel
(one thing I am noticing at AN's facebook is the amount of people not able to tell the difference between what is real and what is face. I don't know how it is in this comm. but it might help people. Also something about scauplers.

Things you want to rant about panel

(The brand, the shows, the characters, comics, keep it adult, it could be fun)

Create your own character panel
(A panel about creating a unique character, drawing, creating profiles, setting them up in the universe, not being a Mary, etc)

game related panels
(Name that tune, quiz games with prizes)

Just to name off the top of my head really.

TFcon needs more activities to lighten up the con. It currently is a place with limited events that have 1 costume contest, few panels, some guest meet and greet, charity event, karaoke and shopping. It doesn't even have enough to keep the event going for Sunday. It just dies off.

zackmak 03-24-2014 10:34 PM

Mark Bellomo sounds like a good fit. I have his books, too. I think he was at a toy show in New Jersey a couple years ago promoting his 80's toy book that was just coming out. So, if he does shows, maybe TFcon can attract him.

The knock-off vs. authentic figure panel is a great suggestion too. List off all the G1 fakes that exist and show slide shows of the differences. Obviously, the dollar store/flea market knock-offs don't need to be shown, since they don't even come close to looking like the originals. Just keep it to the really good fakes.

blackdraon113 03-24-2014 10:43 PM

hehe they have an expert he's name is protoman lol

Protoman 03-24-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockout (Post 565898)
Fan debate topic panels
(Like... who would make a better leader Megatron or Starscream, or is having Bee the leader of the new show a good idea or not. If people be adult about it)

Universe/show Panels
(G1 panel, Prime panel, Bayverse panel, Bayverse vs. G1, what you wish was touched, what you wished remained untouched, comic specific panels like a More then Meets the Eye/Robots in Disguise panel)

Guest Panels
(Just like in the past. If you have Barber and Roberts this year, I would love a panel just for them alone but together, debating and talking about MTMTE and RID).

Artist Panels
(Like give the artists that attend a panel. Either on their own or together, talk about the process, working together, things they disagree on, how they got into the business, some tutorials)

Cosplay Panels
(Rigging, adding light elements, best materials to use, etc, best way to post, best way to do helms and optics, using high tech elements)

Masterpiece discussion panel
(Just between the attendees, who do you wish and didn't wish to be made, basic talk stuff)

If Hasbro is there, a Hasbro panel

(Attendees can give their feedback on products and suggest what they are really looking for in Hasbro product for one. Good time to see some new stuff in person)

Voice Acting guest panels
(just like what we have every year.)

Purchasing Third Parties panel

(this might just go with the regular third party panel)

Bootleg/knock off panel
(one thing I am noticing at AN's facebook is the amount of people not able to tell the difference between what is real and what is face. I don't know how it is in this comm. but it might help people. Also something about scauplers.

Things you want to rant about panel

(The brand, the shows, the characters, comics, keep it adult, it could be fun)

Create your own character panel
(A panel about creating a unique character, drawing, creating profiles, setting them up in the universe, not being a Mary, etc)

game related panels
(Name that tune, quiz games with prizes)

Just to name off the top of my head really.

TFcon needs more activities to lighten up the con. It currently is a place with limited events that have 1 costume contest, few panels, some guest meet and greet, charity event, karaoke and shopping. It doesn't even have enough to keep the event going for Sunday. It just dies off.

The problem is the Hazel room used for our panels is already filled up with events and stuff.

Unless you want to get rid of the voice actor panels.

Knockout 03-25-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoman (Post 565918)
The problem is the Hazel room used for our panels is already filled up with events and stuff.

Unless you want to get rid of the voice actor panels.

Well, no. Since I listed those in the suggestions. Is there a reason nothing but reg is done on Fridays? And what about Sunday? And that room by the elevators, is that used all day? It seems TFcon ends when the con closes on Saturday. I only go for the TFcon portion, I could careless about the 80's toy show honestly. Besides, they are just suggestions, I'm sure you guys have juicy plans for us in store being the 30th anniversary and all mmmmm?

Robimus 03-25-2014 01:50 AM

Last year Friday night had a few things - Opening Ceremony, Gobots Movie, Video Gaming participation/panel and something else I'm forgetting. Was the TFW Podcast recording that night? Can't remember, I hadn't really slept in 48 hours leading into the Con :p

Maybe something else could be squeezed in there but there were a few things going on.

Super_Megatron 03-25-2014 08:03 AM

TFcon does not end on the Saturday, there is a full day of programming on the Sunday and hours of programming on the Friday: http://www.tfcon.ca/tfcon-2013-event-schedule

FRIDAY (dealer room is not open to public)
9:00 am: Toy Customizing Class – South Studio 3
5 pm – 8 pm: Registration – Graydon Foyer
6:50 pm: GoBots: Battle of the Rock Lords Screening – Hazel McCallion
8:00 pm: Opening Ceremony – Hazel McCallion
8:15 pm: Fan Media Panel hosted by Peaugh and Vangelus – Hazel McCallion
9:00 pm: Customizing Tutorial Panel – Hazel McCallion
9:45 pm: Transformers Video Game Challenge – Hazel McCallion
10:00 pm: Karaoke Night 19+ – Quest Bar

SATURDAY
8:00 am: Registration – Graydon Foyer
9:00 am: Dealer Room opens to Early Admission and Weekend Pass holders – Graydon Hall
9:05 am: Art contest registration – Graydon Foyer
10:00 am: Dealer Room opens to General Admission – Graydon Hall
11:00 am: James Roberts Q&A Panel – Hazel McCallion
12:00 pm: Jack Angel and Dick Gautier Q&A Panel – Hazel McCallion
1:00 pm: Charity Auction – Hazel McCallion
1:00 pm: Jack Angel, Dick Gautier and James Roberts Autographs for Weekend Pass holders – Britannia
2:00 pm: Venus Terzo and Marilyn Lightstone Q&A Panel – Hazel McCallion
2:00 pm: Jack Angel, Dick Gautier and James Roberts Autographs for General Admission – Britannia
3:00 pm: 3rd Party Product Preview – Hazel McCallion
3:00 pm: Venus Terzo and Marilyn Lightstone Autographs for Weekend Pass holders – Britannia
4:00 pm: Transformers Costume contest – Hazel McCallion
4:00 pm: Venus Terzo and Marilyn Lightstone Autographs for General Admission – Britannia
4:45 pm: TFcon Awards – Hazel McCallion
5:00 pm: Dealer Room closes – Graydon Hall
5:00 pm: Live Script Reading Auditions – Hazel McCallion
6:00 pm: Live Script Reading – Hazel McCallion
6:25 pm: Canadian Transformers Fans Group Photo – Outside hotel entrance
6:35 pm: Transformers The Movie (1986) Screening – Hazel McCallion
8:00 pm: Faction Feud – Hazel McCallion
10:00 pm: Official TFcon after party 19+ – Quest Bar

SUNDAY
9:00 am: Registration – Graydon Foyer
9:00 am: Toy Customizing Class – South Studio 3
10:00 am: Dealer Room opens to Early Admission and Weekend Pass holders – Graydon Hall
10:00 am: Cosplay Panel – Hazel McCallion
11:00 am: Dealer Room opens to General Admission – Graydon Hall
12:00 pm: Creation of Comic Books w/ James Roberts and others TBA – Hazel McCallion
1:00 pm: James Roberts Autographs – Britannia
1:00 pm: How to get into Voice Acting with Jack Angel, Dick Gautier, Venus Terzo – Hazel McCallion
2:00 pm: Voice Actors Autographs for Weekend Pass holders – Britannia
2:00 pm: 80s Costume contest – Hazel McCallion
2:30 pm: Voice Actors Autographs for General Admission – Britannia
3:00 pm: Panel: Prototypes, Lucky Draws and other rare toys – Hazel McCallion
4:00 pm: Dealer Room closes – Graydon Hall
4:00 pm: Q&A with Convention Organizers – Hazel McCallion
5:00 pm: Live recording of WTF @ TFW Podcast – Hazel McCallion
9:00 pm: TFcon post-convention wind-down party 19+ – Quest Bar