Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BC Community Thread For Non-Sightings Chat (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=44203)

kirbenvost 12-03-2012 07:05 PM

BC Community Thread For Non-Sightings Chat

Since we've been asked to keep the British Columbia Sightings Thead on-topic and I saw that Quebec members have their own successful banter thread, I figured I'd start one up for us BC members. Post away, fellow West Coasters (and our few Interior friends)! Now we can rant about Hasbro's meager distribution to our hearts' content. :D

pandaprime 12-03-2012 07:21 PM

Re: BC Community Thread For Non-Sightings Chat

We still haven't seen much of wave 2 of TFP deluxes eh! Hopefully the next 5 waves all appear at Winners en masse! :primelaugh:

kirbenvost 12-03-2012 07:27 PM

Yeah, but it won't be for another year or so, right? :D

I still need some FoC Combaticons. I'm seriously starting to wonder if TRU will ever stock anything past Wave 1 of every series ever again...

Darth Cylon 12-03-2012 07:58 PM

I won't bother feeding the scalping troll.

Any way the other day I dug up my MP Prime receipt and it has one of those "tell us how we did and you could win $xxx gift card" I did and in the "how can we do better" section I wrote "Return all the Bumblebee to Hasbro and carry other Transformers toys"

One more thing. I thought KB wrote "and our few Inferior friends" Lol!

kirbenvost 12-03-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Cylon (Post 475025)
Any way the other day I dug up my MP Prime receipt and it has one those "tell us how we did and you could win $xxx gift card" I did and in the "how can we do better" section I wrote "Return all the Bumblebee to Hasbro and carry other Transformers toys"

Haha, nice one. If only they would listen.

Quote:

One more thing. I though KB wrote "and our few Inferior friends" Lol!
LOL, what? No way! As a former Armstrong resident I gotta represent for the Interior! Inferior...lol.

Tech Spec 12-03-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Cylon (Post 475025)
I won't bother feeding the scalping troll.

Any way the other day I dug up my MP Prime receipt and it has one those "tell us how we did and you could win $xxx gift card" I did and in the "how can we do better" section I wrote "Return all the Bumblebee to Hasbro and carry other Transformers toys"

One more thing. I though KB wrote "and our few Inferior friends" Lol!

Nice! I wonder if the scalpers account got deleted?

SleeplessKnight 12-04-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech Spec (Post 475039)
Nice! I wonder if the scalpers account got deleted?

I hope so. His single post was only intended to troll us.

Nomad 12-04-2012 01:17 AM

I thought it was mildly entertaining though haha

Tech Spec 12-04-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad (Post 475072)
I thought it was mildly entertaining though haha

Indeed it was :p

jackwacko 12-04-2012 03:40 AM

Oh, they erased that guy... : ( that kept me mildly entertained for the evening.

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 01:36 PM

I guess he was sort of trolling. I missed most of the stuff that happened before they deleted a bunch of posts.

shabooya 12-04-2012 01:45 PM

Anyone else feel like we should be able to dictate our own use of the local forum?

Seems to me the only people who benefit from us not being aloud to banter on the sightings thread is Scalpers who just jump on the site to quickly peruse before swooping in and buying everything of worth we mention...

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 01:53 PM

I also think we should be able to chat in the Sightings thread, but there are a few regular members who would like to keep it sightings only. I suppose it avoids unnecessary email notifications if we have a separate topic. Some people don't want to wade through off-topic posts to read the sightings info.

shabooya 12-04-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirbenvost (Post 475145)
I also think we should be able to chat in the Sightings thread, but there are a few regular members who would like to keep it sightings only. I suppose it avoids unnecessary email notifications if we have a separate topic. Some people don't want to wade through off-topic posts to read the sightings info.

Right.
Predominantly scalpers IMO.

It's a stupid rule here to serve the few if you ask me.
I'd love some insight into this though, as there may be some logic to it that I'm just not seeing...

This site is dead without the chatting, and having the chat mixed in with sightings is pretty much motivation to be checking this site on and off all day...separate the two and I'll just check on the weekends.

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 02:27 PM

I hear ya. The sightings thread is going to be pretty dead without the chat because there's hardly ever anything worthwhile sighted. I'll keep checking both threads though, but I don't do a lot of hunting (waste of time with no new toys) so I'll mostly be posting here.

Sun Swipe Prime 12-04-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabooya (Post 475139)
Anyone else feel like we should be able to dictate our own use of the local forum?

Seems to me the only people who benefit from us not being aloud to banter on the sightings thread is Scalpers who just jump on the site to quickly peruse before swooping in and buying everything of worth we mention...

Personally, I like the banter. It makes that thread more inviting and gives it more of a community feel, and less of sterile one where every post is like

Bowmac

1K Bumblebee.
2K Crap all

If I'm hunting for a specific figure I just do a forum search on that thread and it filters out most of the banter, at least enough for me to do a quick scan of sightings.

I've said this before. The banter makes it harder for the scalpers because sightings get camouflaged in with the banter, which is fine with me.

My two cents

Tech Spec 12-04-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime (Post 475164)

I've said this before. The banter makes it harder for the scalpers because sightings get camouflaged in with the banter, which is fine with me.

My two cents

Yup this works for me as well and here is why:

On the sightings thread, when a few boardies posts their frustration trying to find a figure (ie: MP TC & OP) all these lurkers come out of parts unknown posting. This has happened several times when sought after figures are released. Not sure if anyone else noticed the pattern...

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 03:48 PM

Yep, I've noticed that. People I've never heard of all of a sudden start posting sightings, and once in awhile they actually become regular contributors.

But the mods don't like things off-topic and a few members don't want to read idle banter so they complain to the mods (or maybe it was that scalper) so what can we do...

AeroShake 12-04-2012 04:49 PM

I would like to be more helpful but I'm from Surrey and I'm limited to transit. I try and post sightings when I can but when there are people that are more able than I am, it sorta defeats the purpose y'know? Why take a packed bus or an hour long train ride to Vancouver or Lansdowne just to see if *maybe* something new is there right?

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 04:54 PM

Same for me, I transit everywhere, so unless I'm already in the area or I know something is in stock, I don't have the time to go looking.

shabooya 12-04-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirbenvost (Post 475179)
Yep, I've noticed that. People I've never heard of all of a sudden start posting sightings, and once in awhile they actually become regular contributors.

But the mods don't like things off-topic and a few members don't want to read idle banter so they complain to the mods (or maybe it was that scalper) so what can we do...

Do any of the mods even live in BC?
It seems like the majority of those of use who actually use the thread would prefer if we could banter some...

Maybe Cybertron and it's mods should put it to a vote and go with the majority.

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 05:27 PM

That would be great, but it's probably against a forum rule to post off-topic. I don't specifically see anything other than this:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=3355

Quote:

8. No Public Discussion On Staff Actions
Do not mouth off or publicly question staff decisions. If you have a problem, comment or question, contact a member of the Cybertron.ca Staff or use the contact us link.
So basically, Mods say Sightings Threads must be sightings only, so what they say goes. Even if we were to vote on it, the ones who disagree would complain so I'd rather just avoid confrontation and have a separate thread if we are allowed to do so. And we are, so it's a good enough solution, I guess.

Darth Cylon 12-04-2012 05:44 PM

Ontario: Centre of the Universe (So they think)

West Coast: Centre of care free hippies.

vohkuhl 12-04-2012 05:48 PM

It sucks having to check both threads for the banter and the sightings. Lots of great points that you guys have pointed out that I agree with too.

Just a quick thought, couldn't we still just post sightings here since the people that post in banter and sightings thread are (correct me if I'm wrong) the most active users? It really could go either way, yeah no?

As for a BC Mod, I always thought Blurrz was one?

AeroShake 12-04-2012 05:56 PM

How about making like a "General Transformers BC Thread". Everything Transformers related from sightings to new toys to regular banter? That way all the BC boardies can congregate in one thread for everything?

KoreanInferno 12-04-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vohkuhl (Post 475198)
It sucks having to check both threads for the banter and the sightings. Lots of great points that you guys have pointed out that I agree with too.

Just a quick thought, couldn't we still just post sightings here since the people that post in banter and sightings thread are (correct me if I'm wrong) the most active users? It really could go either way, yeah no?

As for a BC Mod, I always thought Blurrz was one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroShake (Post 475203)
How about making like a "General Transformers BC Thread". Everything Transformers related from sightings to new toys to regular banter? That way all the BC boardies can congregate in one thread for everything?

Loopholes! Find all the loopholes!

KoreanInferno 12-04-2012 06:01 PM

Also would be good to put the sightings in a thread not labelled "sightings" that way the scalpers won't have any idea where all the sightings have gone. lol.

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 06:12 PM

^lol, it would be hilarious until they figure it out.

Is Blurrz a mod here? I never see him post in the thread. Maybe he moved or something.

Yeah, there are lots of solutions I guess. But I bet if we start posting sightings here they'll complain about that too.

Darth Cylon 12-04-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoreanInferno (Post 475205)
Also would be good to put the sightings in a thread not labelled "sightings" that way the scalpers won't have any idea where all the sightings have gone. lol.

That won't work. Scalpers are lurkers. I am sure have seen this thread already.

AeroShake 12-04-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Cylon (Post 475209)
That's won't work. Scalpers are lurkers. I am sure have seen this thread already.

We should go find what THEY like and go scalp THEIR shit.

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 06:19 PM

Money. They like money. And pissing people off. :p

i'm in ur base, investing all ur capital! lolololollllzzzzzzz!!!1111one

AeroShake 12-04-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirbenvost (Post 475214)

Those fappy bastards.

thebobkat 12-04-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirbenvost (Post 475214)

Like this? :D
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg...n1ofo1_500.jpg

AeroShake 12-04-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebobkat (Post 475222)

I REFUSE TO FALL PREY TO THEir- OOOOH, KITTY!

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 07:01 PM

Hahaha, yeah, something like that.

victory_saber 12-04-2012 07:37 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think the sightings boards should stick to what we find at the stores. Like a few you have mentioned, it saves me from checking on notifications that has nothing to do with the thread especially with my limited toy hunting routes these days. If we want to discuss the hot topic of the day lets use this thread instead.

Regarding new members (scalper or collector), I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that they're collectors (new or old).

I've been recollecting my childhood back when Car Robots 2000 came on Fox TV and haven't looked back. But as a board member, I can admit I'm not very active on any of the TF boards like so many of you are since I use it for more information/guide to what's the next cool TF item to collect. There's probably more new and old members that are in my boat. I say just give everyone a chance and know that if it wasn't for Michael Bay we wouldn't have this issue with popular items being bought up so quickly ;-)

...Wow, come to think of it, that's probably more sentences that I've written in however many years I've been on this board!

Cheers Ian 12-04-2012 07:44 PM

Hi Guys,

You can use this thread to chat about anything you want.

However - the Sightings threads are for sightings only and any off topic posts will be deleted. When there are pages and pages of off topic banter in the sightings threads it makes it hard for people who are actually trying to navigate the thread in hopes of finding where the figure he/she is looking for may have been spotted.

Not trying to come down on anyone - but the sightings thread should be used as a tool, not a discussion place.

Thank you.

kirbenvost 12-04-2012 07:48 PM

Thanks, victory saber, it's good to hear from someone on the other side of things. I know there are many who don't post who aren't just in it for profit, and there are probably some people who see it more as a resource than a social community. So I can understand both points of view, which is why I started the thread. Sure, many of us wish we could just discuss whatever in the sightings thread and not have it be a big deal, but there are others who would rather not have it there. So we can all basically have what we want by just moving the discussions here.

And that's pretty much what Cheers Ian said. :)

Coralle 12-04-2012 08:16 PM

Props to kirbenvost (and this thread)! c: I think it fosters a sense of community, especially for those with nothing to post in the sightings thread. (You guys look like you have so much fun in there! ♥)

AeroShake 12-04-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirbenvost (Post 475239)
Thanks, victory saber, it's good to hear from someone on the other side of things. I know there are many who don't post who aren't just in it for profit, and there are probably some people who see it more as a resource than a social community. So I can understand both points of view, which is why I started the thread. Sure, many of us wish we could just discuss whatever in the sightings thread and not have it be a big deal, but there are others who would rather not have it there. So we can all basically have what we want by just moving the discussions here.

And that's pretty much what Cheers Ian said. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coralle (Post 475246)
Props to kirbenvost (and this thread)! c: I think it fosters a sense of community, especially for those with nothing to post in the sightings thread. (You guys look like you have so much fun in there! ♥)

I agree with you guys. I don't have many friends that share the same hobbies as me so getting together and just chattin' it up with people like me is pretty cool. Who knows? Maybe this thread will catch up in terms of total posts as the sightings thread. Thanks to it now being reduced to nothing but sightings. Lol