Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Canadian Transformers News (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Toys R Us Exclusive Masterpiece Optimus Prime Released At Canadian Retail (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=69345)

down_shift 07-13-2017 12:48 PM

Toys R Us Exclusive Masterpiece Optimus Prime Released At Canadian Retail

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to board member MULTIPLEX for letting us know he found the TRU exclusive MP10 Optimus Prime at a Toys R Us in Kitchener Ontario.

The figure retails for $229.95 + tax.

Have you found this yet? Do you want to?

Let us know in the Sightings Forum!

Scrapper6 07-13-2017 12:50 PM

Re: Toys R Us Exclusive Masterpiece Optimus Prime Released At Retail

Jesus, wasn't year of the horse 150$ or something?

Flanker 07-13-2017 12:56 PM

Man, I remember when HLJ was selling the Takara reissue for ¥13,200 or CDN$157 last year.

Malwave 07-13-2017 12:58 PM

HAHA NOPE :argh:

Mercutio 07-13-2017 12:59 PM

And the original release was $100 (and many of us got it on sale for $70).

I hope this thing shelfwarms like crazy. TRU's price-gouging needs to backfire until they learn to stop it.

DuG 07-13-2017 01:11 PM

I imagine most of the people that use these boards already have one or like me are just not interested. I am curious to see how long these will stay on the shelves. Will scalpers buy them up and try to charge even more on the after market? Will people wait for a sale before buying them? Reg price sales vs sales price sales? Hmm

AV Prime 07-13-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercutio (Post 735616)
And the original release was $100 (and many of us got it on sale for $70).

I hope this thing shelfwarms like crazy. TRU's price-gouging needs to backfire until they learn to stop it.

Agreed.

I want to get another one since I had Mr Cullen sign my 2012 one but I simply cannot pay that over inflated price. 1st the new movie toys got stupid but this is INSANE!

Maximus Prime 07-13-2017 01:29 PM

That's painful.
And because TRU thinks I am rural they charge almost $100 for shipping. I have the YOTH and want the original, but not for those prices.

nuropa 07-13-2017 02:14 PM

Buy 2 get 1 free coupon is a deal if you can use it

freakx2001 07-13-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuropa (Post 735635)
Buy 2 get 1 free coupon is a deal if you can use it

not a bad idea, still comes out to be $172 each. Which still hurts when you think it was $100 last time it was out....but I guess it beats 229

TRUCKvsGUN 07-13-2017 02:49 PM

Y'all can thank yourselves for this price-jump, going around charging each other 220-250 for the original Hasbro release. Hasbro's just catching up to the boardies and kijijis.

Medic 07-13-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapmaker (Post 735641)
Y'all can thank yourselves for this price-jump, going around charging each other 220-250 for the original Hasbro release. Hasbro's just catching up to the boardies and kijijis.

I agree.

Darth Cylon 07-13-2017 03:56 PM

How I wish my salary went up by 130% from 2012 to 2017.

Darth Cylon 07-13-2017 05:36 PM

Is this packaged in truck mode? The box looks smaller than Takara MP-10 which is packaged in bot mode.

TFanPage101 07-13-2017 08:41 PM

Awesome, I will NOT be paying for that.

Soundwaves 07-13-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapmaker (Post 735641)

More like third party companies.

You don't think hastak noticed how much 3p companies charge for their unofficial figures?

Any self respecting business would see that and hike prices...

They don't care that being more limited in production, costs are higher for 3p...they just see collectors forking out 150-300 for a single figure and lick their lips.

TRUCKvsGUN 07-13-2017 09:27 PM

How can you imply greed (you mention licking their lips) on Hasbro's part when you're actively trying to trade a TRU MP10 (originally $100, less on sale) for a Takara MP22, a $220+ figure? LOL they're applying the same markup on this toy that you are.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=58319
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=58521

This has nothing to do with 3P companies; it's clear from the asking prices for this figure on this very board that they way undercharged for the initial TRU release and have since adjusted. They sold out online day 1, so the new price can't be far off what collectors value it at.

predahank 07-13-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapmaker (Post 735714)
How can you imply greed (you mention licking their lips) on Hasbro's part when you're actively trying to trade a TRU MP10 (originally $100, less on sale) for a Takara MP22, a $220+ figure? LOL they're applying the same markup on this toy that you are.

This has nothing to do with 3P companies; it's clear from the asking prices for this figure on this very board that they way undercharged for the initial TRU release and have since adjusted. They sold out online day 1, so the new price can't be far off what collectors value it at.

I see you had a fun time dealing with Soundwaves as well lol

I do agree that 3p isn't to blame, rather then supply/demand economics. They charged too little the first time now they are erring on the side of overcharging. They can reduce the price if sales are slow but they can't increase the price if they fly off the shelves. The proper price point is probably inbetween the original $100 and the current $230 imo

Scrapper6 07-13-2017 10:22 PM

Year of the Horse version was 150$ if memory serves, I'd say 170$ would be the perfect price for this mold which I believe this time actually includes Roller and possibly the little Spike figure that was meant to come with it, unlike YotH which omitted those particular figures.

The only reason it sold out online once being released is because of the damn scalpers, even with a limit of 2 or 3 there are plenty of ways to circumvent this issue with friends addresses and the like.

bishop 07-13-2017 10:47 PM

For 100$-150$, I'll buy. It will get eventually clearanced, at one point.

TRUCKvsGUN 07-13-2017 10:57 PM

I doubt it'll ever get close to that low, but I hope it does, for the sake of those who don't already have this toy or are low on cash.

Soundwaves 07-14-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapmaker (Post 735714)

I never dictated the market, nor did I ever imply that with all the money spent on this hobby, I wouldn't maximize the value when by happenstance, I wind up with multiples of a figure that actually appreciates.

Predahank, you know full well you've sold toys for more than you've paid too...sorry.

Also, I'm just one guy, looking to trade up...TRADE up. Some people get good deals on other figures and it can work out for both parties. That's what I generally look for.

I buy a lot, sell very rarely, as you should know from taking the time to peruse my sales history.

I'm not a multi national corporation making large margins on mass production and stealing market share from hastak...

lol.

This made me laugh this am. Thanks for that.

So does the idea that hastak pays more attention to the aftermarket (where prices are posted but sales are harder to track) and not their direct competitors ripping off their trademarks.

I'm flattered but I don't think I had more to do with it than say make toys and 600$ devastators.

That notion is probably more a reflection of your own dissatisfaction with apparently, boardies like me.

Ultra Macnus 07-14-2017 10:56 AM

Ottawa Merivale TRU has 1 MP-OP

MapleMegatron 07-17-2017 09:51 AM

Soundwaves, if you dont think MP 10 is worth more than the Original $100 he was purchased at (which is the entire argument at hand), could you sell it to me for $100 please?

caffodian 07-17-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper6 (Post 735609)
Jesus, wasn't year of the horse 150$ or something?

It was eventually clearanced down to $99 and beyond, as well :/

wervenom 07-17-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caffodian (Post 736209)
It was eventually clearanced down to $99 and beyond, as well :/

Buy one get one 50% off at one point so $75 plus tax I would imagine

wervenom 07-17-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper6 (Post 735729)
Year of the Horse version was 150$ if memory serves, I'd say 170$ would be the perfect price for this mold which I believe this time actually includes Roller and possibly the little Spike figure that was meant to come with it, unlike YotH which omitted those particular figures.

The only reason it sold out online once being released is because of the damn scalpers, even with a limit of 2 or 3 there are plenty of ways to circumvent this issue with friends addresses and the like.

I agree and disagree. The only thing I would maybe add to that was he genuinely had very crappy distribution (in Canada especially) just like Starscream and Soundwave and for any main stay character they should have made more. When he was released I happened to be in the States about 4 weeks later and he was fully stocked at the TRU's where as here it may have been 10 per store max

ninjha 07-17-2017 04:25 PM

Wow $250!! Who has bought any? Do these ever go on clearance? I remember seeing tons of Fortress Maximus at TRU, high on top shelves. I figured they would eventually go on sale. After a couple of months there were none left? I wonder if liquidators bought them up? Did Hasbro take them back?

MapleMegatron 07-17-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjha (Post 736215)
Wow $250!! Who has bought any? Do these ever go on clearance? I remember seeing tons of Fortress Maximus at TRU, high on top shelves. I figured they would eventually go on sale. After a couple of months there were none left? I wonder if liquidators bought them up? Did Hasbro take them back?

Nope, all those had to have been bought for that price. Hasbro never takes back unsold stock. And the fact that fort max has been found on clearance at certain TRUs still for 150$ means he was not sold to liquidators. So if you saw none at your store it means they were all sold out.

mrluthor 07-18-2017 11:15 AM

My friend bought the new reissue yesterday since he needed another for his huge Prime collection. It is the animated color like the original TRU release. It also suffers from the closing chest issue where there is too much plastic on the windows and the matrix chamber won't close. You would think Hasbro would have fixed that issue for the rerelease of MP Prime.

The7thParallel 07-18-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrluthor (Post 736305)
My friend bought the new reissue yesterday since he needed another for his huge Prime collection. It is the animated color like the original TRU release. It also suffers from the closing chest issue where there is too much plastic on the windows and the matrix chamber won't close. You would think Hasbro would have fixed that issue for the rerelease of MP Prime.

Tell him to flip the matrix over in the chest. The windows close just fine so long as the matrix is facing the right way. It sounds odd, but I did it on mine and then the windows closed. The other way creates just a bit too much plastic.

Seriously, try it.

Ultra Macnus 07-18-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The7thParallel (Post 736309)
Tell him to flip the matrix over in the chest. The windows close just fine so long as the matrix is facing the right way. It sounds odd, but I did it on mine and then the windows closed. The other way creates just a bit too much plastic.

Seriously, try it.

I bought the new release as well and I have the same issue with the chest not closing flush in robot and in vehicle mode.

Flipping the matrix around helps somewhat, but still leaves a gap between the windows in the middle of his chest.

The right side window/chest stays flopped out a few centimetres in vehicle mode -- more pronounced than in robot mode. Since there's no issue with the matrix or matrix chamber in vehicle mode, it must be something with the plastic, pins or screws in the window assembly.

Anybody have suggestions for a fix? I was considering returning, but if it's a common QC issue a fix would be preferred.

OptimusB38 07-22-2017 11:16 AM

That price is pure greed, Hasbro is putting themselves out of business with shite like this. Way overpriced with nothing new like maybe a jet pack? New Colors or more paint would b nice. I'll pay the price if u give me a reason. I'd support the tf franchise if they'd try.

Mercutio 07-22-2017 02:10 PM

"Buy the same thing you bought before at two and a half times the price!"

Bloodstriker 07-23-2017 03:26 AM

I'm actually looking for one of these. I haven't seen any in the Vancouver area and the TRU website just lists it as coming soon. I know these are much more expensive than they used to be but my only option is to buy the previous release from a private seller or new from TRU, both of which will cost around the same. Does anyone have any info when these will be available on the website?

TRUCKvsGUN 07-23-2017 03:28 AM

^They were already available on the website but sold out within a day. They'll probably be back up there. Best of luck in getting one.

Bloodstriker 07-23-2017 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapmaker (Post 736886)
^They were already available on the website but sold out within a day. They'll probably be back up there. Best of luck in getting one.

Oh snap! I'm very new at collecting these (a week in), so thanks for the info!

Impreza35 07-24-2017 07:46 PM

They're current available right now on the website. Just ordered one. I've been checking everyday for a while now.

pandaprime 07-24-2017 08:42 PM

Out of stock now :(

Impreza35 07-24-2017 08:49 PM

That was quick! Any idea why it still says coming soon?