Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Silver Snail has been sold and will move from is Queen Street location (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=30632)

TheLogicalProwl 04-08-2011 09:20 PM

Silver Snail has been sold and will move from is Queen Street location

Yeah, their TFs were overpriced, but for me its still news.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...n-sold-to-move

Protoman 04-08-2011 09:53 PM

Re: Silver Snail has been sold and will move from is Queen Street location

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! End of an era.

During one of my first trips to Toronto when I was in grade school, I remember going to Silver Snail and being floored by it. Going back year after year was always a nice trip....... hope the new location is even more OMG.

UltraPrimal 04-08-2011 10:42 PM

:( I've never been to Silver Snail, but always wanted to go there. Guess I won't get the chance now.

Witterquick 04-08-2011 10:59 PM

This cannot be!! I visited the SS when I visited Toronto back in 1998. I was floored, having never seen such a store. I'm glad i'm going back this summer for one more visit, so I can show my best friend one of my best memories from Toronto.

Dark Rage 04-08-2011 11:06 PM

Ouch. Can't say I'm not surprised. A lot of the indie stores on Queen Street West have been sold/replaced by the landlords into corporate big chain clothing stores like H&M, American Apparel.

I always thought Silversnail made lots of bucks by being in that high-traffic area where lots of students and working professionals work.

But yet, The Annex is probably the place to go; the rent's probably cheaper than anywhere on Yonge Street and it's where lots of book/comic/video media stores are now (near 2 high schools and not too far from the UofT campus/residents. Yonge has it's share of comic stores, but the rent is very high and they wouldn't get as much space.

My bets? Somewhere in Mirvish village or some side street near Bloor at the Annex or Korean town. Lots of space there.

The Queen St. building will probably become some clothing/shoe store, sigh.

Metroplex79 04-09-2011 12:04 AM

Woah...I remember my first few trips there in the early 90s (bought some of the old Marvel cards), and bi-weekly trips when I was working a few blocks from there in the early 2000s.

Good to know that they are not closing up but actually moving to another location. My childhood is still somewhat maintained. Still sad though.

I hope they maintain the big killer awesome front window display in their new location.

bedtime 04-09-2011 12:16 AM

^^agreed, they HAVE to have the window displays or it just wont be the same place.

PyjamaPrime 04-09-2011 08:07 AM

some of these comments are misplaced... the Snail isn't closing, but moving. some of you guys seem sad that there will never be a Silver Snail, but it's just a case of finding a different route to it (though i'm gonna personally miss the Sulver Snail/Sushi Time combination trips i've had)

the thing that I wanna know is WHEN?!?! the article said nothing about a moving date or if they were having a moving sale or anything (the website also says nothing, I checked).

if I knew how long i had, i'd grab as many tf's as i could before they moved.

Cheers Ian 04-09-2011 08:21 AM

They aren't moving until at least February 2012. Over a year at the current location left.

It's sad to see the current iconic location go, but I'm glad the business isn't closing. Plus the new owner wants to EXPAND the store and maybe add a cafe. Hopefully the new location won't be too far from the Downtown core.

Queen Street isn't what it used to be. All the interesting shops are west of Bathurst now or are on Ossington.

CobraCommander 04-09-2011 10:41 AM

Man that sucks, but it's good that it will be elsewhere in spirit. Yeah, too bad about Queen St. I miss stuff like speakers corner, the old CityTV, Active Surplus and now SS :(

I'm going to have to go down sometime during FanExpo and see if they will allow me to take some video/pics of the current place.

Here's hoping they relocate to Mississauga... :p