Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Combiner Wars Devastator: Q/C Issues Lookout/Thread (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=62729)

CyberDragon10K 01-29-2016 03:56 AM

Combiner Wars Devastator: Q/C Issues Lookout/Thread

So yeah, here's a thread listing general problem spots on Combiner Wars Devastator (that I've either seen from others or on mine). The big guy does a fair number of things right and wrong as it turns out.

Priority Q/C Spots:

- Peg holding Hook's vehicle front together prone to breaking (common occurrence)
- Locking tab for Scrapper's foot mode may snap, rendering Devy unable to stand (!)(demonstrated by baltmatrix)

Miscellaneous:

- Shoulder locking tabs on Long Haul stressing
- Round peg on Scavenger side of chest shield that pegs into Hook stressing
- Mushroom peg for Scavenger's Devastator mode bicep swivel loose (YMMV)
- Flimsy locking of Bonecrusher in arm mode (YMMV)(demonstrated by emgo316)
- Devastator's hands may not be able to grip his big gun (YMMV)
- Scratching of Long Haul's front grill Decepticon emblem (probably from removing the Devy chest shield improperly, YMMV)
- Bonecrusher's crotch doesn't stay together securely
- Devastator's right hip cannot support the weight of the full leg/ratchet isn't strong enough (YMMV)
- Knee locks on Long Haul don't work (YMMV, from BL9)

I just want to get a thread going for now, I'll probably double back and add to the list as things crop up. Feel free to confirm any of the above or contribute.

chroma23 01-29-2016 10:48 AM

Re: Combiner Wars Devastator: Q/C Issues Lookout/Thread

this may be a single incident, but i got an extra useless gear hiding and rattling inside long haul's torso lol

JohnathanKong 01-29-2016 02:57 PM

for mine, Devastators right elbow joint is loose. He can't hold up his gun without it drooping down. I was hoping to exchange mine. Is that a common?

Pgianos 01-29-2016 03:00 PM

Same here...it's not a qc issue it's a design issue joints that bear heavy loafs need to be ratcheted like knee hip elbow shoulder

JohnathanKong 01-29-2016 03:18 PM

I looked at the elbow though. It's weir because it looks like they were going to ratchet it but they just didn't put it in. It sort of moves, but doesn't. That's unfortunate if it's a design flaw. I got the PE kit and it's awesome, so I want him. But if they're all the same, I won't bother with an exchange.

BL9 01-29-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pgianos (Post 677405)
Same here...it's not a qc issue it's a design issue joints that bear heavy loafs need to be ratcheted like knee hip elbow shoulder

And when a big boy like Devastator demands only the heartiest of bread, this becomes a real issue.

My Devastator's right bicep swivel is loose, bonecrusher's crotch doesn't lock too great, my boy broke the peg on Hook and the locks on Long Haul that are supposed to keep his knees from moving in combined mode don't seem to work.

In conclusion, however, I don't even care, he's awesome and huge and stupid and janky and I love it.

Akroyer 01-29-2016 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chroma23 (Post 677366)
this may be a single incident, but i got an extra useless gear hiding and rattling inside long haul's torso lol

Seems to be my problem too. And an annoyance bone crushers crotch doesn't want to stay together in bot mode.

timcrook 01-29-2016 06:12 PM

UW Bonecrusher's crotch tabs together fine for those wondering.

protoform_ironhide 01-29-2016 07:14 PM

Don't see any issue on my UW Devastators. Do these issues only occur on CW Devy? Oh, one pin was loose on one of the individual bot, I tabbed it back in with an hammer and the whole thing was fine.. Don't notice any issues.

justprime 01-29-2016 07:31 PM

Same no issues with my takara dev must just be the cheap hasbro crap

Mike 01-29-2016 08:08 PM

My CW Dev has zero issues, now I don't wanna touch him ever again after reading this thread lol

Tekkamanraiden 01-29-2016 08:22 PM

Haven't had any issues with my CW Devastator either.

protoform_ironhide 01-29-2016 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justprime (Post 677446)

Really??? And I have been regretting that I tot the UW version......cuz they look the same and some youtube reviewer says they are almost identical... I guess it's worth to pay more money if UW doesn't have those issues...

Goaliebot 01-29-2016 10:45 PM

I haven't had any issues with the figures in the 2 of the Hasbro/CW sets I've opened so far.

BludChylde 01-30-2016 10:54 AM

Only issue I have with mine is on Long Haul. His left arm won't stay pegged in when he in his lower torso form. So far I haven't seen it affect Devistator's combined form in anyway.

Pgianos 01-30-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 677454)
My CW Dev has zero issues, now I don't wanna touch him ever again after reading this thread lol

Mine is perfect too...a right elbow tjat can't hold up a giant gun is the same as superior. Just can't handle a heavy load.

justprime 01-30-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide (Post 677465)
Really??? And I have been regretting that I tot the UW version......cuz they look the same and some youtube reviewer says they are almost identical... I guess it's worth to pay more money if UW doesn't have those issues...

It is if you want better paint movable elbows and knees and the seperate small guns for the independent bots oh and no qc issues plus great art work and instructions.too each his own opinion"lol"

Sun Swipe Prime 01-30-2016 02:31 PM

No QC issues with CW Devy

wervenom 01-30-2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime (Post 677533)
No QC issues with CW Devy

Same here

CyberDragon10K 01-30-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justprime (Post 677446)

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcrook (Post 677440)
UW Bonecrusher's crotch tabs together fine for those wondering.

Dem Japanese and dere superior plastics!

No one really says anything much to neg UW Devy. Can't say for sure why that is, but it's something I've noticed (or rather, the lack of).

Quote:

Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide (Post 677445)
Don't see any issue on my UW Devastators. Do these issues only occur on CW Devy? Oh, one pin was loose on one of the individual bot, I tabbed it back in with an hammer and the whole thing was fine.. Don't notice any issues.

I can only speak for what I've seen on mine, and what I've heard and read about online. This is a mass production toy, and there will always be lemons/issues with particular pieces out of a batch. Some get away scott free, others fall apart out of the box.

CanBot 01-31-2016 06:03 PM

Don't be so quick to judge Takara's UW Devy as superior in QC. I've had two CW Hasbro Devy's and each were flawless in terms of QC. My UW, while still very good, has some things like blotchy coloured paint on Bonecrusher, and overall each robot in alt mode is not quite a 'tight' as the CW bots. Scrapper's loader and Bonecrusher's scoop are also looser than their CW counterparts.

It really is luck of the draw. I love Takara too, but this isn't a case where one is 'better' than the other, at least not in QC terms.

OldOfflineMan 10-18-2018 11:50 PM

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is interested and stumbles on this thread, I managed to figure out a way to replace a broken locking tab on Scrapper with a paper clip.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...804#post773804

Collectingtoys 07-27-2019 02:54 PM

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just revive this old one.

I just got the new CBB KO downsized Combiner Wars Devastator, it arrived almost perfect except there is a warped tab on Scavenger as shown in the photos. It's not broken, yet.

Just wanted to know if anyone in the community has a suggestion on how to shape it back to normal? I was thinking about using heated pliers, but I have never ever modified any Transformers figure ever, so afraid I just melt it right off.

It's not detrimental to the play or transformation of the figure, but would be nice if it is possible to fix. Plus at the price point I got this set at, I didn't expect it to be perfect. Any suggestions/input would be appreciated.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S1...8=w838-h667-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/G4...k=w788-h667-no

GotBot 07-27-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collectingtoys (Post 791987)
I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just revive this old one.

I just got the new CBB KO downsized Combiner Wars Devastator, it arrived almost perfect except there is a warped tab on Scavenger as shown in the photos. It's not broken, yet.

Just wanted to know if anyone in the community has a suggestion on how to shape it back to normal? I was thinking about using heated pliers, but I have never ever modified any Transformers figure ever, so afraid I just melt it right off.

It's not detrimental to the play or transformation of the figure, but would be nice if it is possible to fix. Plus at the price point I got this set at, I didn't expect it to be perfect. Any suggestions/input would be appreciated.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S1...8=w838-h667-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/G4...k=w788-h667-no

My concern would be melting the tab that way. It is a delicate tab. Hairdryer may be and just Needlenose while the plastic is warm? Maybe?

OldOfflineMan 07-27-2019 06:14 PM

I would try both. Hair dryer to soften the general area and the heated pliers for more targeted softening and deforming. I advise lots of patience. Steadily increase the heat through repeated attempts as the melting point of this plastic is quite low and it'ss actually quite easy to burn.

I don't believe heated pliers alone is sufficient as these plastics are poor conductors of heat. You may end up melting one part of the tab while the other part stays cold.

JonoPrime 07-27-2019 06:18 PM

If it doesnt affect the transformation my best suggestion would be to leave it as is.

Those tabs can be quite fragile, given how small they are. And it looks like any modification runs the risk of it snapping off.

However, if youre feeling lucky, Gobot’s suggestion above could help improve it. But Id tread with caution and go slowly.

Try heating it either with warm water or the blow dryer method (no more than 30 seconds at a time) then pinching it delicately with some pliers while running cooler water over top or using the cool setting on the blow dryer. Repeat as necessary and hopefully that tab will look a little better!

Cover with some Future Floor polish, instant glue or clear nail polish to add an extra layer of protection from further stressing.

All the best with the bot :)

*** oops, posted just after OldOfflineMan ... His method is a little more succinct than mine ;)

Collectingtoys 07-29-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotBot (Post 792000)
My concern would be melting the tab that way. It is a delicate tab. Hairdryer may be and just Needlenose while the plastic is warm? Maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldOfflineMan (Post 792002)
I would try both. Hair dryer to soften the general area and the heated pliers for more targeted softening and deforming. I advise lots of patience. Steadily increase the heat through repeated attempts as the melting point of this plastic is quite low and it'ss actually quite easy to burn.

I don't believe heated pliers alone is sufficient as these plastics are poor conductors of heat. You may end up melting one part of the tab while the other part stays cold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonoPrime (Post 792004)
If it doesnt affect the transformation my best suggestion would be to leave it as is.

Those tabs can be quite fragile, given how small they are. And it looks like any modification runs the risk of it snapping off.

However, if youre feeling lucky, Gobot’s suggestion above could help improve it. But Id tread with caution and go slowly.

Try heating it either with warm water or the blow dryer method (no more than 30 seconds at a time) then pinching it delicately with some pliers while running cooler water over top or using the cool setting on the blow dryer. Repeat as necessary and hopefully that tab will look a little better!

Cover with some Future Floor polish, instant glue or clear nail polish to add an extra layer of protection from further stressing.

All the best with the bot :)

*** oops, posted just after OldOfflineMan ... His method is a little more succinct than mine ;)

Gentlemen, thank you kindly.

Surprisingly, I couldn't find a YouTube video on this subject.

Will give you an update on what happens, might be something to do this upcoming long weekend.