Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Gamestop/EB puts profits over people (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=79200)

UsernamePrime 03-20-2020 10:26 PM

Gamestop/EB puts profits over people

CobraCommander 03-20-2020 11:09 PM

Re: Gamestop/EB puts profits over people

Yup, pretty bad on EB part, only the Executives to blame, making greedy decisions while in the safety of their homes. Feel sorry for the front line workers, a lot of them are very cool.

But can't think of a more fitting game to lineup for during a Pandemic than DOOM.

Zenith27 03-21-2020 07:18 AM

EB shoudn't be a whipping boy for this.

Best Buy was open here in BC today albeit with a max number of people in store.

Walmart was selling AC and DOOM.

The Source was open in the mall near me.

I'm not corporate shill but blame the dumbasses in such a rush to get those games they HAD to lineup. They were open all day. I got mine at 2pm and no one was around yet there was still a line of 10 people at the BestBuy (one guy was returning an Atari console!).

There was also the option of cancelling the preorder and buying online or digitally. They weren't accepting trades or cash and had wipes on hand if you needed to use the pin pad. Also, they announced they were closing for the foreseeable future as of the end of the day Friday.

UsernamePrime 03-21-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith27 (Post 807941)

I'm not corporate shill but blame the dumbasses in such a rush to get those games they HAD to lineup. They were open all day. I got mine at 2pm and no one was around yet there was still a line of 10 people at the BestBuy (one guy was returning an Atari console!).

There was also the option of cancelling the preorder and buying online or digitally. They weren't accepting trades or cash and had wipes on hand if you needed to use the pin pad. Also, they announced they were closing for the foreseeable future as of the end of the day Friday.

The fact that EB is closing stores today is not a sign of responsibility so much as it's a sign that they were caught on record for being corporate ass hats that wanted profit.

The fact that they outright stated that they do not have proper cleaning supplies or sanitizers in their store during all is a testament to where their priorities are.

EB being a whipping boy is also what prompted BestBuy to close doors and do curbside pick up only. The Source has also closed corporate owned stores, the ones you see opened are privately owned to which you can blame the ass hat owner for staying open without precaution.

steamwhistle 03-21-2020 08:04 AM

IMO... BestBuy is considerably more "essential" than EB Games.

I have heard a positive number of stories along the lines of employers buying equipment (laptops, computers, tablets, peripherals, etc.) from Best Buy for their employees to be able to work from home.

QuadESL63 03-21-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith27 (Post 807941)

EB is bad, so is BB.

Walmart needs to stay open for essentials (like foods) and for the pharmacy. May be they should make all other departments off limit while they have to stay open for people that needs their prescriptions, etc.

And people put their entertainment & preorder deposits over health, not to mention potentially putting their family members at risk. Everyone can live w/o Animal Crossing and DOOM Eternal. Yes, EB wasn’t flexible in letting customers choose another delivery methods (may be not doable in some manners?) but it is not like EB is canceling their preorders.

They closed probably because of the public backslash. They most likely just wanted to dump all their Animal Crossing and DOOM before the lockdown to minimize loss.

Robimus 03-21-2020 01:48 PM

In Manitoba EB followed the rules laid out by the local health authority/government. Retail businesses have not been ordered to close as of yesterday in MB.

If a jurisdiction ordered them to close and they remained open, as in certain states, thats definitely a problem.

I can give them a break for following regulations set up in different areas where closing is not mandatory.

If we are to follow the advise of our leaders who are being informed by medical experts, then lets do that. If it doesn’t agree with an individuals personal feelings on the subject, fair enough, but then your issue is with your Premier, not businesses following the instructions laid out by the government.

905soundwave 03-21-2020 05:56 PM

EB should expand into household goods so then it won’t be so bad. Just like Canadian Tires did once upon a time. Then you’ve got your basis covered for all emergencies and crisis. Power outage? Batteries and camping gear. Ice storm? Shovels salt and blankets. Pandemic? Cleaning supplies. More than just tires. Future of game purchases is online so they will have to change their model quick or become an HMV.

Zenith27 03-22-2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernamePrime (Post 807942)
The fact that EB is closing stores today is not a sign of responsibility so much as it's a sign that they were caught on record for being corporate ass hats that wanted profit.

The fact that they outright stated that they do not have proper cleaning supplies or sanitizers in their store during all is a testament to where their priorities are.

EB being a whipping boy is also what prompted BestBuy to close doors and do curbside pick up only. The Source has also closed corporate owned stores, the ones you see opened are privately owned to which you can blame the ass hat owner for staying open without precaution.

So you're saying you don't blame the people that lined up to pick up their games at all? The company should have closed it's doors to save people from their own stupid selves?

UsernamePrime 03-23-2020 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith27 (Post 808001)
So you're saying you don't blame the people that lined up to pick up their games at all? The company should have closed it's doors to save people from their own stupid selves?

What I said is that Gamestop/EB puts profits over people. You're branching off into a whole new point by putting words into my mouth. If you want to talk about customers then create a new customer thread and talk away.

Zenith27 03-23-2020 09:07 PM

Interestingly enough EB makes most of it's profit from sales of used games. I wonder if their push to stay open was to get rid of all those copies of DOOM that will only be worth $40 by the time they can reopen. Less about making profits and more about mitigating losses. I bet the next big release won't have too many non-preordered copies lying around in stores.

Scrapper6 03-26-2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernamePrime (Post 808062)
What I said is that Gamestop/EB puts profits over people. You're branching off into a whole new point by putting words into my mouth. If you want to talk about customers then create a new customer thread and talk away.

That would be counterproductive. Why make a new thread to discuss the many facets behind what happened? It was not just the single selfish act of EB/Gamestop keeping their stores open which led to the situation, the customers and their gross ignorance of proper social distancing is also a key factor in the issue.

A message board is built on frank and open discussion, if we all created the exact same thread to discuss the exact same thing we'd have a big headache inducing mess.

Moderators merge similar sounding threads for a reason. Once you start a discussion, short of having it locked by a moderator you can't really dictate what others will bring to the table to actively debate or otherwise comment on the situation brought forward by the original creator of the thread.

Nocturn 03-27-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith27 (Post 808001)

Didn't you say you went out and picked up a copy? Is this self-loathing or?

I picked up two copies of AC, one for the wife. They were preordered months before anyone was worried about COVID. Wasn't going to shell out another $160 to get two copies elsewise. Had to go to the mall for groceries, anyway. Was there as the store was opening. The line was about 5 people. I was more at risk on the bus home.

I was required to sanitize my hands upon entering the store and was not permitted to peruse their new Earthrise stock. They had lines of tape on the floor to keep people from standing too close. Clearly, on the ground level, people are trying to make things safe.

While I acknowledge Gamestop/EB could have and maybe should have already been closed down, they're sitting on millions of these preorders. Knowing the company's financial hardships, you can't expect they'll jump at the chance to lose those sales. Hell, they're close enough to the edge of bankruptcy this could've been a finishing blow.

Now I'm not saying Gamestop has a moral leg to stand on here, nor am I trying to downplay the severity of the current pandemic, but they're a business. Capitalism rules their decisions.

I also find this kind of scapegoating is particularly unproductive. Sure, they should have been closed for public safety, but if beer and weed stores are staying open, I don't think it's fair to stamp on video game stores. People need something to do with all this quarantine time, and video games are far less destructive to your body than other "essential" retailers. People need to be allowed to have hobbies, things to do during this time. For one person that's a 6-pack every night, for another, it's a new game a week.

Attacking EB for wanting to remain open for one of it's biggest sales days of the year seems petty, especially when MOST of the stores in the mall the day I went were still open. Shoes, knives, nail salons... and unlike EB, they weren't doing anything extra to promote cleanliness and distancing.

Zenith27 03-27-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturn (Post 808313)
Didn't you say you went out and picked up a copy? Is this self-loathing or?

Nope. I went later in the day when there was no line. I only self-love. You can read into that what you will. :D