Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Initial thoughts on MP BW Megatron from HK... (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=75946)

QuadESL63 03-29-2019 12:35 PM

Initial thoughts on MP BW Megatron from HK...

Mine have not been shipped, but I have just gone through some initial reports on the new MP BW Megatron from fellow collectors in Hong Kong:
  • Bot mode looks spot on. Articulations are very good.
  • Transformation is a pita, esp. around the waist where the body/chest/whatever needs to be locked down. Some spots are extremely tight. The official instructions manual doesn’t help.
  • The plastic TakaraTomy picked is subpar at best for the price. Very easy to leave stress marks.

Take it as a grain of salt if you wanted. From what I have gathered TakaraTomy has not delivered the goods w.r.t. the price point. I am seriously thinking about a last minute cancellation and wait for more conclusive and thorough reviews.

Pascal 03-29-2019 12:47 PM

Re: Initial thoughts on MP BW Megatron from HK...

I bet the concerns regarding materials = someone confusing thin panels (by design) with cheap plastics.

xueyue2 03-29-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 784212)
I bet the concerns regarding materials = someone confusing thin panels (by design) with cheap plastics.

Check this thread, Pascal.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/6084269160
From the pic you can see maybe the plastic is kind of cheap, or too thin.

Pascal 03-29-2019 01:42 PM

Or maybe it was thin and forced...

joelones 03-29-2019 02:14 PM

Takara seems to be faltering now as I feel as though the added complexity of designs and engineering could simply be a justification for the recent price increase. I mean, you need to convince the market that they're still getting their money's worth, no? I'm not saying this is entirely the case but at these higher prices there's zero reason for the typical QC or sub-par plastic issues.

TRUCKvsGUN 03-29-2019 02:23 PM

Personally, I prefer to get my toy reviews from someone who has handled one in person.

ssjgoku22 03-29-2019 04:08 PM

What's surprising is that no one has reviewed it yet and it's so close to the release. Usually Bens Collectables is one of the first reviewers to review Transformers, but nothing yet. Probably Takara being cautious about KO company stealing the mold (which is probably going to happen anyways as we are currently seeing with Dinobot).

wervenom 03-29-2019 04:19 PM

QuadESL63 03-29-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRUCKvsGUN (Post 784219)
Personally, I prefer to get my toy reviews from someone who has handled one in person.

Well, I didn’t say I have first hand experience with it as says in my title and what not, just referenced others’ thoughts online. Like I said you can take it as a grain of salt. But...

Quote:

Originally Posted by wervenom (Post 784230)

... this is what I have been read online earlier today, hot off the press from Hong Kong. Just a heads up for peeps like me who has preordered.

OptimusB38 03-29-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRUCKvsGUN (Post 784219)

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelones (Post 784217)
Takara seems to be faltering now as I feel as though the added complexity of designs and engineering could simply be a justification for the recent price increase. I mean, you need to convince the market that they're still getting their money's worth, no? I'm not saying this is entirely the case but at these higher prices there's zero reason for the typical QC or sub-par plastic issues.

Spot on

JonoPrime 03-29-2019 04:55 PM

Saw this on another board, and I think it pretty much sums it up;

“The masterpieces are pretty, but I don't want to transform a Faberge egg.”

positivelyken 03-29-2019 06:15 PM

Man, I hope this isn't a QC issue across the board. I already have two MPs I'm reticent about transforming because of the possibilty of damaging them (Megatron V2 and Dinobot). And BW Megatron is the most expensive and fragile-looking one yet.

Pascal 03-29-2019 09:22 PM

It's only one report, yet MM titles "Reports of Breakage and Easy Stressing for Masterpiece MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron". It's misleading.

wervenom 03-29-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 784255)
It's only one report, yet MM titles "Reports of Breakage and Easy Stressing for Masterpiece MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron". It's misleading.

Fair enough. Based on what I saw I thought it was more wide spread. Guess time will tell when ppl get him in hand. Hopefully it's a one off so to speak

QuadESL63 03-30-2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

I don’t care about that guy you mentioned but there are others. I don’t share them because they are in Chinese...

Like I said take these as grain of salt. It might be a non-issue, or it is a concern. I will be super careful with mine when I got it (too late to cancel for me).

positivelyken 03-30-2019 08:42 AM

Welp, mine is on its way from Amazon Japan. I guess I'll find out in a week and a half if it's a solid product or a Faberge egg, lol.

xueyue2 03-30-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Yesterday on Baidu I read another post. This rich collector actually bought 2, as he was afraid of breakage. He said some parts are too strong, or too stiff. So during transformation, he just un-screw the figure in several places, basically took it apart then transform.

Kind of funny since this shouldn't be a parts-former. :D

wervenom 03-30-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuadESL63 (Post 784278)
I don’t care about that guy you mentioned but there are others. I don’t share them because they are in Chinese...

Like I said take these as grain of salt. It might be a non-issue, or it is a concern. I will be super careful with mine when I got it (too late to cancel for me).

So then it is a little more wide spread then. That is most unfortunate.

canprime 03-30-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wervenom (Post 784287)
So then it is a little more wide spread then. That is mosr unfortunate.

Most definitely werevenom. The price for Megs should be more than enough justification for people to expect a high level of quality control.

If this turns into a widespread complaint, it would further my opinion, biased though it may be, that Takara is not taking the MP line seriously enough anymore to prevent these kinds of problems.

There is no way these types of issues should ever make it out of the factory in this day and age, especially on "premium" priced items.

predahank 03-30-2019 11:25 AM

Dinobot had similar reports during this early stage and it turned out to be an issue with scary levels of tolerances. I don’t like the idea of having to worry about transforming my uber expensive transformer

positivelyken 03-30-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predahank (Post 784295)
Dinobot had similar reports during this early stage and it turned out to be an issue with scary levels of tolerances. I don’t like the idea of having to worry about transforming my uber expensive transformer

It does suggest that we're reaching a breaking point (pun intended) in the quest to make a transformable figure as screen-accurate as possible in both modes, where the ability to achieve that result leads to more extensive and intricate panel-forming, smaller and thinner parts, tighter tolerances, and more areas that are prone to breakage.

joshimus 03-30-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predahank (Post 784295)

I transformed Dinobot several times since I got him without issues. I am REALLY hoping Megatron turns out the same way.

Pascal 04-01-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wervenom (Post 784287)
So then it is a little more wide spread then. That is most unfortunate.

One guy unscrewing parts as a safety measure without really knowing if NOT doing so would damage the figure is hardly what I would call a QC issue report... Tons of buyers already have the figure by now. People with a positive experience often don't bother posting.

ssjgoku22 04-01-2019 11:10 AM

I've already watched a review from Japan, seems fine to me.
https://youtu.be/WhNukGOgtgI

Here's another positive one:
https://youtu.be/OuseLxppLOA

wervenom 04-01-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 784400)
One guy unscrewing parts as a safety measure without really knowing if NOT doing so would damage the figure is hardly what I would call a QC issue report... Tons of buyers already have the figure by now. People with a positive experience often don't bother posting.

Generally yes but anyone, you included, should be grateful of the fact of potential warnings of breakage. Even if this serves as a warning to say "Hey, watch out for this part of the transformation" wouldn't everyone appreciate the heads up? Especially given the price tag?

evenstaves 04-01-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wervenom (Post 784404)
Even if this serves as a warning to say "Hey, watch out for this part of the transformation" wouldn't everyone appreciate the heads up? Especially given the price tag?

I will say that even though I bought a TR Trypticon from one of the "good batches", I did the hip/tail fixes anyways (didn't clip the springs, just got them out and worked the hell out of them so they weren't so ball-bustingly strong on the candy-*ss plastic they used)

I also am super careful when adjusting the hip ratchets, and treat the tail joint tenderly

I wouldn't have done these things if people hadn't issued the widespread warnings of the QA issues that plagued Trypticon's release, and so far I've had no issues

So yes, I can appreciate fair notice of potential issues, better to have more warning than none

JonoPrime 04-01-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wervenom (Post 784404)
Generally yes but anyone, you included, should be grateful of the fact of potential warnings if breakage. Even if this serves as a warning to say "Hey, watch out for this part of the transformation" wouldn't everyone appreciate the heads up? Especially given the price tag?

I compeletely agree!

For me, it doesnt matter if an issue is on a mass scale per say. Just a friendly reminder from another collector to be careful or mindful or a certain aspect of a figure I find to be immensely helpful :)

Its the help from these forums I enjoy most.

QuadESL63 04-01-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonoPrime (Post 784407)
I compeletely agree!

For me, it doesnt matter if an issue is on a mass scale per say. Just a friendly reminder from another collector to be careful or mindful or a certain aspect of a figure I find to be immensely helpful :)

Its the help from these forums I enjoy most.

I just passed on the info as a warning, nothing more. I have nothing against MP BW Megatron or TakaraTomy - I preordered two (was going to cancel one to see how it goes but was too late for that) anyway. May be there are issues or may be there isn’t. If some perceived this as a smear campaign or something may be I will just keep quiet next time... I supposed it is not my business.

JonoPrime 04-01-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuadESL63 (Post 784421)
I just passed on the info as a warning, nothing more. I have nothing against MP BW Megatron or TakaraTomy - I preordered two (was going to cancel one to see how it goes but was too late for that) anyway. May be there are issues or may be there isn’t. If some perceived this as a smear campaign or something may be I will just keep quiet next time... I supposed it is not my business.

Nah man, dont be quiet :) ... Passing along this info was helpful for me and I appreciate it.

wervenom 04-01-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuadESL63 (Post 784421)

I wouldn't take it that way. I'm sure ppl appreciate the fact that you pointed it out and in this community especially here on this board help is and should always be appreciated. Don't let the perceived negativity ever stop you or anyone else from helping. Now I'm done preaching :D

positivelyken 04-01-2019 03:00 PM

Well, my MP-43 was just delivered from Amazon Japan... fastest shipping I've ever gotten for a Japanese preorder! I'm looking forward to shattering poor Megs to pieces tonight. :)

alternatorfan 04-01-2019 03:40 PM

Now 2 are good
Seems this thread is pointless other than some people having issues.
Be careful is all.

predahank 04-01-2019 03:55 PM

Nothing wrong with sharing info.
I definitely would like to know if I need to pay more attention to a sensitive part and/or transformation step

Darkroar 04-01-2019 08:41 PM

Mine came this evening (amazon japan). I have transformed him and everything seems OK. The outer shell does feel cheap/thin, but the main parts like the legs feel pretty solid. This gives a duality to the figure - some parts you don't want to pull too hard where as some parts (near the waist) required a lot of force to get moving. I took things slow and it was OK.

Anyway, I'm happy with the figure overall. The credit card charge was $350 CDN pre-ordered on amazon.jp with shipping & import fees. It's still a lot, but it's a lot less than it would have been buying off an importer.

Anyway, I'm a Beast Wars fan and a fan of BW Megatron in particular so this was a must have figure.

xueyue2 04-01-2019 09:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
2nd and 3rd guy reported issue of breakage in the crotch area in this post: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/6087231570

(if you check this post, the 1st guy also have breakage in the same area. http://tieba.baidu.com/p/6084269160 )

I wonder why it's all in crotch area, some design issue?

ssjgoku22 04-01-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xueyue2 (Post 784460)
2nd and 3rd guy reported issue of breakage in the crotch area in this post: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/6087231570

(if you check this post, the 1st guy also have breakage in the same area. http://tieba.baidu.com/p/6084269160 )

I wonder why it's all in crotch area, some design issue?

Oh boy, that doesn't look good. That's a fairly important area to have breakage too (the legs could loosen up as a result). My figure just got delivered to a DHL pickup location, so I'll go get it tomorrow. I guess we'll just have to see. Amazon has a really good return policy if something like this happens.

Darkroar 04-02-2019 08:32 AM

The crotch has a bit of a swirl pattern to it. I wonder if this is a new form of gps (gold plastic syndrome) where the plastic will eventually randomly break because of how they mixed the plastic and colour together.

I was messing around with mine a bit more and I've found the default face slides on and off easily, but the two additional faces are very hard to get on all the way. I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

MapleMegatron 04-02-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wervenom (Post 784247)
No to be honest I wouldn't. It popped up in my facebook feed and thought it worthy of sharing. I don't know MapleMegatron but fair warning seems like fair warning given how much this particular figure is going for.

There is more than one report. Here is another from Goldimus Prime over at TFW:

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attac...-jpg.28243286/

Plus, the stress marks are a confirmed common issue on some joints. I have no clue why anyone would rather not share warnings of a 300$ figure.

Pascal 04-02-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xueyue2 (Post 784460)
2nd and 3rd guy reported issue of breakage in the crotch area in this post

3 reports out of how many units sold? :)

You guys are awesome at blowing things out of proportions. Maybe I should have reported that my MP-10 originally came with a rear light missing and made a news of out it. "WARNING!!!! REPORTS OF MISSING PIECES ON MP-10!!"

;)

ssjgoku22 04-02-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 784483)
3 reports out of how many units sold? :)

You guys are awesome at blowing things out of proportions. Maybe I should have reported that my MP-10 originally came with a rear light missing and made a news of out it. "WARNING!!!! REPORTS OF MISSING PIECES ON MP-10!!"

;)

I really don't think it's been blown out of proportion. If we're careful when handling our copy of the figure, we can hopefully prevent a similar issue from happening. The figure has only really been released for about 2 days now, so if it's a widespread issue, we'll know in the next couple weeks.