Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   International Transformers News (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Takara Tomy bans third party custom Transformers Products in Japan? (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=30667)

Hound 04-11-2011 04:04 PM

Re: Takara Tomy is going after "our" boys !!!!

I've actually wondered when this would happen. Not surprised at all really and I'm sure it isn't a surprise to the third-party producers either.

Hobbyist Prime 04-11-2011 04:06 PM

Takara, You are making it very difficult to love you anymore!

Metroplex79 04-11-2011 04:07 PM

Wow...that's sad. I don't buy as many 3rd party product as some collectors, but I feel this is an odd play by TakTomy.

Are they targetting those companies because of the add-ons? Which would be weird as to have any use for said items, you need to buy the legit product to them on.

Now watch some scalper buy up every single 3rd party product to sell online at inflated prices....

bedtime 04-11-2011 04:11 PM

this was posted in the news section much earlier today.

TheLogicalProwl 04-11-2011 04:13 PM

Not surprising and this was in some time coming. I wish FansProject and the rest the best of luck in the lawsuits - should it get that far. I wish I had a law degree to defend them, but this one is really tough.

Scrapper6 04-11-2011 04:20 PM

Just so long it doesn't affect my chances of getting Protector and the other FP items I guess it really isn't that big a deal. Most third party items were never that big of an interest to me outside of the few choice items from FP and perhaps a few others.

That being said, considering that FP just helped a good number of people in Japan by encouraging TF fans to donate to recieve a special Sidearm repaint I find it very distressing that instead of commending these fans or trying to hire them onto their staff they are simply trying to destroy them utterly and irrevocably.

Some companies I could understand really, as they are no better than modern day pirates in the figures they choose to market. But when a few dedicated and talented fans attempt to give back to the franchise they love so much by creating add-ons and attachments for existing toys, how is that remotely a bad thing?

I find myself upset at such a development mostly because it may say something about legality and integrity for certain companies to go after such things, but it doesn't bode well for creativity... If that makes sense, I find myself lacking articulation at the moment, perhaps I just fell back into 1985 or something.

Ultra Maverick 04-11-2011 04:30 PM

Re: Takara Tomy bans third party custom Transformers Products in Japan?

All I will say is that there a number of hasbro/takara figures I have bought solely based on the prinicple that they would be getting third-party add on sets.

bedtime 04-11-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Maverick (Post 330071)
All I will say is that there a number of hasbro/takara figures I have bought solely based on the prinicple that they would be getting third-party add on sets.

this.

theres NO WAY in hell i'd buy rotf bruticus based on its own merits, as an example.

Nullray 04-11-2011 04:45 PM

So are they going to go on the assault to all KO companies producing exact replicas? It is to bad they are targeting these accessories companies becaue they enhance through fandom the toys people love. Making artistic representations a reality. A sad day indeed.

Hellboy 04-11-2011 05:07 PM

Based on the quality of a lot of the 3rd party items I'm surprised none of them have approached getting an actual license from Hasbro/Takara. Obviously the full-out TF figures would get a resounding "no" but the add-ons are nothing but beautiful accessories that enhance and increase sales of the original toys. "We don't make Transformers. We make Transformers better."
Granted, the licensing would more than likely be a ridiculous fee but it would allow them to go into production on a larger scale and potentially get the items on retail shelves.