Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   TFcon Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Good spending limit for TFCON? (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=85797)

Solauren 06-06-2022 10:05 PM

Good spending limit for TFCON?

Simply put, this is going to be my first time at a TFCON, and I'm wondering what my spending limit should be.

MahtimusPrime09 06-06-2022 10:58 PM

Re: Good spending limit for TFCON?

I know this will be a good thread for me to follow. I myself have been to 3 and this year will be my 4th. If I remember correctly I spent in the ballpark of 400-600$ the last two times but it always depends on different factors.

evenstaves 06-07-2022 07:00 AM

TFCon in July is important (timing) for me cause I get my quarterly bonus right around then

*sigh* I could dump a grand easy, every time

Darkroar 06-07-2022 08:20 AM

One thing is make sure you bring money with you. There is an ATM in the hotel, but I think it runs low on cash and at least one time there was a limit of like $60 during the convention.

There are banks in the area, but it's inconvenient to leave to get cash. I know some vendors will take paypal as well.

How much you spend will depend on you and your collection.

Before going to a show I usually have in mind what I plan on checking out and possibly getting and that drives what I think I will spend. Right now there isn't much I want so my budget would be low.

When I was younger and would actually get there my plan could go out the window. Sometimes I would find nothing of interest to me and other times I will get caught up in the excitement and pick up more than I planned on getting.

I think if you can, it's wisest to think ahead of time of things you are interested in and budget for an amount based on that. Those few times I got caught up and bought more than I planned on, I later sold a lot of the extra figures I didn't plan on because deep down I didn't really want them.

evenstaves 06-07-2022 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkroar (Post 860851)
One thing is make sure you bring money with you. There is an ATM in the hotel, but I think it runs low on cash and at least one time there was a limit of like $60 during the convention.

There are banks in the area, but it's inconvenient to leave to get cash. I know some vendors will take paypal as well

There used to be an ATM across the street to the east in that office building complex, but as of some-time 2021 they put up signs sayin it's permanently closed (COVID???)

xueyue2 06-07-2022 10:02 AM

I think nearby is a CIBC, so u can get the money from there as well if you are a CIBC customer.

JLvatron 06-07-2022 10:20 AM

Lots of good tips here, like bring your cash in advance cause you can't count on the close ATM's and you'll lose too much time going to far ATMs.

Also, will you have a trustable pal/family with you? They can hold your money and give it in installments, if you don't trust yourself for impulse buying.
I could trust myself and bring $600, and I'd usually spend half that or less.

Also, make a list of your most-wanted toys to buy. Some of these may be available pre-TFcon in the Buy/Sell threads; so you make the deal, then meet at the event for the actual purchase. That can save you alot of time serarching, and leave you with valuable time for other buying/events.
But still be ready for nice surprises you see in the dealer room that you may want on the spot.

And definitely don't limit yourself to just buying toys. TFcon has ALOT of fun social events like panels, hangouts, games, voice actor autographs, and constumes.
Be sure to ask for Guber, he's always the life of the party! :)

Marcotron 06-07-2022 10:29 AM

My budget is usually under $200.
I tend to look for older bots, so they tend to be less expensive. And then, I tend to get my kids some junker bots, whatever I can find. So, at the end of the day, I've got a whole bunch of stuff to add to the ever growing collection.
If you are buying Masterpieces or Third Party stuff, then $200 will cover maybe 1 figure.
So, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Have fun, try not to go broke. Everything is going up in price, and even older figures are hard to find for the prices they were not long ago.
Is there a "our money is worthless" emoji?

Also, sadly, I can't go this year, as I'm out of town...

The 12th Prime 06-07-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xueyue2 (Post 860859)
I think nearby is a CIBC, so u can get the money from there as well if you are a CIBC customer.

The CIBC is gone 😢
As for a budget I like to swing for the fences, $600 I find is a good median these days plus or minus $200. Back in ?09 $200 to $250 would get me 8 to 10 Henkei figures except the in demand ones of the time. So $400 would be my minimum now days which gives me the option of playing small ball if the deals are there or get a 3P or a Titan.

Dynamo.Dave 06-07-2022 05:40 PM

I would say, instead of setting a spending limit, make a list of things you actually want to buy.
The dealer room is insane and very overwhelming for me. So much available (G1 right through Unicron trilogy, movie stuff, import/domestic, 3P, everything) that I often forget what I'm actually interested in buying.
See what's on the list, and set a spending limit from there.
I'm usually up for $500 and I'm a 3P collector, so that's about 3-4 bots, and then a couple of older Hasbro mainline CHUGs, and maybe an art print.