Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Your Childhood "Holy Grail" Transformers? (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=38397)

Nomad 02-17-2012 09:58 AM

Your Childhood "Holy Grail" Transformers?

ITT: What were some of your childhood holy grails, and did you ever manage to get em?

For example, Soundwave was always my favorite as a kid, so naturally he's the one I wanted a toy of. However, Soundwave (along with most everything else) wasn't available where I lived, much of which had to do with stuff getting phased out by the early 90s. As a result, I basically wrote this off as something that didn't exist & moved onto wanting an Optimus Prime. I managed to get this from a place called Consumers Warehouse (or rather, picked it up there via a cataloge order), and he still holds this status for me today.

Then when I got a little older & Beast Wars came out, Dinobot was the one I wanted hella hard, and after countless trips to stores, I finally found him, and I'm actually surprised that none of his parts are missing/that he's not totally destroyed because of how much I played with it.

I didn't really care about anything else until the Transmetals came out, but then came TM Tarantulas. Even after getting Depth Charge who's still one of my favorites today & who I've managed to keep in near perfect shape, I still urned for the treacherous spider for years to come (even when I didn't so much care about Transformers).

Fast forward to a few months ago when I got back into things & realized that I could buy shit online other than Yugioh cards, and now he too is mine.

... so yeah, what were your holy grail transformers as kids?

juxtapose519 02-17-2012 10:06 AM

Re: Your Childhood "Holy Grail" Transformers?

I was just young enough that I only caught the tail end of the G1 toyline, so I had a bunch of Pretenders, Micromasters and Actionmasters. The rest was mostly G2 and BW. As you can imagine, that made just about every character from the show my holy grail. I guess I'm making up for it 25 years later.

But if I had to pick one grail from any series, it would have to be the Technodrome. I had pretty much every Ninja Turtle ever made because they were all I ever wanted. But sadly, the Technodrome was too expensive so I never got it. My asshole best friend got one and I was SOOO jealous.

tusko 02-17-2012 10:09 AM

Megatron
Optimus Prime
Skyfire
Bumbleebee
Grimlock
Soundwave
Skywarp
Cassette bots

... got them all 25 years later!!

Only grails left are Trypticon and Scorponok.

razin 02-17-2012 10:12 AM

As a kid, it would have been Blitzwing. When I was young I never got to choose my TF's, they were just given to me as gifts for xmas/bdays etc, I never even saw a G1 display :(. I do recall asking for Blitzwing though and being told it wasn't available. Luck was on my side though, some kid, dunno who, came to my house and had one with him. When they left, Blitzwing was forgotten. Never saw the kid again, so I considered it a parting gift.

Vain 02-17-2012 10:15 AM

G1 Sunstreaker, never got him as a Child and still don't own him as an adult. It's quite sad that I never owned the original figure of my favorite character who has been such as far as I remember.

Supernova 02-17-2012 10:17 AM

Honestly...the entire 1985 catalog. I would stare at both the Autobot and Decepticon sides and want them ALL! :D

Sureshot22 02-17-2012 10:25 AM

as a kid my most sought after was the aerialbot gift set.

in toronto it was pretty much non-existant or from what i took from my parents going crazy trying to find me one for what seemed like months.

then one day my day calling around said. "get your coat and get in the truck, fast"

i said ok? and we drove to consumers distributing (is what its called not warehouse) ;)

my dad had found the only one left in Toronto area he said and they were only holding it for like an hour.

i still remember everything about that day to this day. its probably my most memorable TF experience/memory.

Tekkamanraiden 02-17-2012 10:25 AM

Omega Supreme, I got many transformers as a kid but never him.

Nomad 02-17-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razin (Post 409649)
As a kid, it would have been Blitzwing. When I was young I never got to choose my TF's, they were just given to me as gifts for xmas/bdays etc, I never even saw a G1 display :(. I do recall asking for Blitzwing though and being told it wasn't available. Luck was on my side though, some kid, dunno who, came to my house and had one with him. When they left, Blitzwing was forgotten. Never saw the kid again, so I considered it a parting gift.

Ha!

I never had a "real" one, but I've still got one of those "Robot attack" KOs or whatever they were called. I got it from a dollar store for like 3 bucks, and it's an exact remold of the original. The only difference is that its got blue instead of purple & silver legs. I actually like it better than the licensed copies, and I remember my dad shitting on me for the entire ride back about how I shouldn't have bought a fake piece of crap. I still have the gun that it came with, too.

Also in regards to "parting gifts", that's basically how I got my Hero Megatron & G1 Rodimus. I met these two kids at school & we decided to trade shit for a weekend. It was those two guys for my Jazz, Sideswipe, Roller & some dollar store toy. As it turns out, these kids lost a bunch of my shit, gave me back Sideswipe missing its window panels, said they'd bring the rest on the next day... but never returned.

In other words, I ended up unintentionally trading G2 Jazz, Roller & the dollar store thing for Rodimus & Megs which I was cool with.

... oh & about the catalogue, I think it would've been a HUGE mistake for me parents to get one of those for me, as I'd have gone as crazy for this shit as I did for legos.

XII 02-17-2012 10:36 AM

Mine was Metroplex, I loved that toy! He was big and awesome with three modes. Still wish I had one, but sadly my sister stepped on him while she was learning how to walk and snapped him in two. Saddest event of my childhood.

Scrapper6 02-17-2012 10:52 AM

I have few recollections of what I wanted as a child, back then I was recieving many gifts and toylines from everybody and anybody.

I had Real Ghostbusters, He-Man, G.I.Joe, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, LEGO, who knows what else. Most of it is gone now and very few photographic evidence remains as to what I actually had as opposed to what I dreamed of having.

That being said I can safely say that I have always wanted...

G1 Optimus Prime
G1 Megatron
G1 Dinobots
G1 Soundwave
G1 Casseticons
G1 Metroplex
G1 Scorponok
G1 Trypticon

Surprisingly enough I think I want Fortress Maximus now more than I did as a kid, I don't really recall ever seeing him before or saying I want this guy.

Out of that list, I've only managed to get a few. I also always wanted Powermaster Optimus Prime and I did own him for a while, but sold him off recently because... Well to be quite honest the G1 figures I own are the first to go. There is no true sentimentality there for me. It's G2 and Beast Wars that really struck chords with me, while I've loved the G1 cartoon, the G1 toys don't mean much to me. With few exceptions. I'd love to have every Micromaster under the sun, the city/base bots and cons, the cassettes, and I wouldn't mind picking up a Pretender Starscream again because I had him when I was a kid. But for the most part, G1 toys don't hold as much sentimentality to me.

So I collect them, but I don't go out of my way to pick them up. I want them in a way, but that want is drowned out by the more modern figures who don't cost 100s of dollars after the fact.

So that's how it is.

I'm still going to get those Dinobots one of these days, I mean Hasbro has made tons of Dinobots after the fact, but nothing beats those G1 molds. They may be bricks, but at least they still look cool. Why the hell can't Classics Grimlock have taken more of his cues from the original model instead of his Pretender Classics version I'll never know.

Super_Megatron 02-17-2012 11:10 AM

For years as a child I would watch the shelves for a glimpse of Fortress Maximus but never once saw one. A few years back I won my first one on Ebay. I eventually upgraded to a MIB version a couple years later, one of the few G1 toys I bought in box being a loose collector.

Nomad 02-17-2012 11:11 AM

I didn't even know what that was until a little while ago haha.

razin 02-17-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad (Post 409671)
I didn't even know what that was until a little while ago haha.

Lol, don't worry, you're not alone. I stopped watching TF's after season 3, so I had no clue about anything after 86 until I started collecting 2.5 years ago. By 87 I had moved onto TMNT, which I have started recollecting now as well :)

juxtapose519 02-17-2012 11:29 AM

I put off watching The Rebirth for years because I figured it was going to suck. It ended up being not half bad. I still think the whole "Target/Headmasters are Nebulans" thing is kinda stupid, but overall it's a pretty enjoyable story arc.

Nomad 02-17-2012 11:36 AM

Hah well, I've got a few Headmasters comics, but I was just so oblivious to all of the toys that existed because not only did I live in a small city at the time that had shitty distribution to begin with, but I was also into the toys during a time where even G2 was in its decline stage.

It actually wasn't until a few months ago that I actually started knowing what's up, be it with new shit or old.

Autobot Meister 02-17-2012 01:21 PM

G1 Megatron and Starscream. Still do not own either. I bought a reissue Starscream but it's just not the same...can't explain it really. Reissues don't do it for me and loose G1's are a crapshoot...i really lucked out on a few Dinobots and failed miserably with others, so...

Jazz was my all time favorite character. I ended up getting him in grade 6. Ironically, he is the only toy from my childhood that I have lost, but I still have the original box....go figure. When i went off to highschool, i stored all my transformers in a box in the attic. Except Jazz. I left him in my night stand drawer. I wouild pick him up every so often. Then one day I just could not find him. I am sure that one of my nephews took him, but I can never prove it :(

If there is ONE MISB figure that i would spend the cash on, it would be Jazz...most definatley.

brr-icy 02-17-2012 01:26 PM

Ask questions, it'll save you the crapshoot. And avoid ebay.

As a kid, wheeljack and scorponok were the two I wanted most and never got

Pascal 02-17-2012 01:26 PM

Apeface and Snapdragon! Triplechanging Headmasters rawk! And Megatron. My best friend had one, I was so jealous. And Metroplex.

SHCKWAVE 02-17-2012 01:38 PM

I wanted a Sixshot for years after seeing the toy's commercial.(and not on Youtube either.I'm old.LOL) and finally got him off of Ebay a few years back.I then have slowly caught up on my wish list,especially at last year's TF con.Can't wait to go again this year to continue the hunt!Still want Venom,Trypticon,and Bugly.

Shepp 02-17-2012 02:49 PM

Fortress Maximus, Complete, MISB.

I have always wanted this since childhood and I saw it in the pack-in catalog. I hadn't seen him on the show until I bought the Rhino release of G1, season 3 part 2 and season 4.

He shall always be the giant fish that got away. :(

And since I saw all the extra goodies that came with the Takara release, now THAT one is my holy grail.

QuadESL63 02-17-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepp (Post 409735)
Fortress Maximus, Complete, MISB.

I have always wanted this since childhood and I saw it in the pack-in catalog. I hadn't seen him on the show until I bought the Rhino release of G1, season 3 part 2 and season 4.

He shall always be the giant fish that got away. :(

And since I saw all the extra goodies that came with the Takara release, now THAT one is my holy grail.

Me too! Fortress Maximus is my "holy grail".

I'm happy if I found a loose one in good condition. Now that I have a set of Master Swords all I need is a loose US Fort. Max.

Stapler 02-17-2012 03:07 PM

My childhood holy grails were the Seacons. I managed to get them via the BBTS reissue. :)

The other big one I always wanted was Trypticon. Never got one, but I did see one on my cousin's TF shelf (with other cityformers).

jjwankenobi 02-17-2012 03:24 PM

The (complete) G1 Constructicon Giftset - I had Hook, Scavenger and Mixmaster and was well on my way to completing the set when my prepubescent efforts got waylaid by multiple family dramas (i.e., injuries, death, divorce). I donated most of my G1's to my church in 1997 and I've been slowly replicating my collections through CHUGs, some G1 reissues and MPs ever since.

So needless to say I've got the Encore 20 release dead fixed in my sights, finger on the trigger (probably the XP-01 add-on set by XTransbots too).

Just waiting for a good enough reason to spend the cash. Maybe as an early Father's Day gift to myself for when child #3 comes along this September? Sounds good!!!

Commandoclone87 02-17-2012 04:13 PM

Having had G2 Bruticus, Superion and Optimus Prime when I was about 4 or 5 and being as naieve as I was to what was available, I found myself very envious of a classmate's Starscream figure.

That and a Shockwave. Never got them as a kid and now I'm just estatic that finally my dream will come true (in a manner of speaking) when a classics worthy Shockwave is released in the upcoming months as part of the Generations line.

Mumps 02-17-2012 04:29 PM

As a kid, Trypticon and Predaking were my grails! When we got the Internet, and I found out about Fortress Maximus, a new grail was added to the list. Still looking for a Fort Max today. Brave Max just won't cut it. :p

Ultra Maverick 02-17-2012 04:40 PM

Always wanted a Sky Lynx,
happy to say that I got him 2 years ago, but as a kid I'd always see him in the little fold out booklet you'd get and had no idea what/who it was... and of course it looked like a dinosaur so I had to have it.

Benzo 02-17-2012 05:16 PM

I aways wanted a G1 Optimus Prime as a kid but never got one.

Ozrein 02-17-2012 05:16 PM

One Christmas in the mid 80s, my parents order the 5 dinobots and the constructicons from the Sears catalogue for my brother and I. Unfortunately (according to them) Sears ran out of Sludge, Snarl and Slag. So while we were lucky enough to get Grimlock, Swoop and the Constructicons, we missed out on the other 3.

I always wanted to finish off the group and once I got back into collecting a number of years ago, they were at the top of my list. It took a while to find them in good condition for a reasonable price but I eventually ended up getting them and they are now some of my fav figs from G1.

And here they are:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...1-1-Top2sm.jpg

They do look oh so good as a group. Also in the pic is my other fav group of bots... er I should say 'cons.

Mighty_Galvatron 02-17-2012 05:21 PM

As a kid I had a lot of TFs.

My grail though, was G1 Megatron. I never had him. I saw him once in a store with my dad...all nice and shiny in gun mode. But I was denied him with a lie: "No, he doesn't transform." At the time, I believed it.

gagagalvatron 02-17-2012 05:28 PM

It's funny -- I had many of the grail figures mentioned here...and sold them because I didn't really care for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vain (Post 409651)
G1 Sunstreaker, never got him
as a Child and still don't own him as an adult. It's quite sad that I never owned the original figure of my favorite character who has been such as far as I remember.

This is the same for me. I got into Transformers later, but one of my friends was into them earlier. I got him Sunstreaker as a birthday present, though I secretly wanted it for me.

I never got one, then or later. I've gotten the Classics and Alternator versions but never the original.

wervenom 02-17-2012 06:28 PM

G1 Megatron. Consumers Distrubting catalog page 3 (I think) for 24.99. My mom said I couldn't have it cause it was a gun and didn't want it in the house. Got him about 4 years ago, after MP Megs

Nomad 02-17-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gagagalvatron (Post 409791)
It's funny -- I had many of the grail figures mentioned here...and sold them because I didn't really care for them.

Guess they're just different for different people. For example, the Transmetal Tarantulas isn't an expensive or very sought after figure for most people (although it was hella hard to find in my area when it came out), but it was literally something I wanted from day 1, and continued wanting even through the times when I wasn't collecting & had everything packed away. Well, I had Depthcharge sitting on top of some books in my closet & Quickstrike was often chilling in my junk drawer, but you get the idea.

However on the other hand, I've never had an affinity for the G1 Megatron or even many of these uber rare exclusives, so I guess it's just another personal thing for us.

Pax52 02-17-2012 07:45 PM

I wanted a Fortress Maximus the parents said I needed a bike. I lost

OMEGA 02-18-2012 02:20 AM

as a kid my parents couldnt afford to buy me much transformers although i did have the original G1 optimus prime and BW transmetal optimus primal, waspinator, and cheetor. thats pretty much it now i have many:)

Protoman 02-18-2012 03:23 AM

Hot Rod.

Didn't get him till more then 11 years after the fact (1986 to 1997). Fellow collector in Montreal; PlasticJunky tracked one down for me (Before the days of EBAY). Man did that make my day........ and look at me now.

sikkbones 02-18-2012 03:36 AM

Rodimus prime finally found him at a garage sale around 89.

Houndog22 02-25-2012 02:01 AM

I didn't have alot of transformers as a kid but my Holy Grail toy was Computron. When I was young I saw a kid playing with his Computron and I thought to myself "I want to steal that drill robot, but his mom is there".

Luckily a two years ago I managed to win Computron on ebay almost complete for a hundred bucks and took me a year later to find the rest of the pieces at decent prices to complete him. It was satisfying when I completed him.

But my true childhood Holy Grail toy was the original God Marz combiner. But I think I will just focus on my transformers collection or just buy a SOC God Marz whenever I have the money.

vohkuhl 02-25-2012 04:54 AM

I was a deprived child in Canada, so my parents never bought any toys (immigrated to Canada) but I thank my parents friend who had older kids willing to donate me their TFs. However, I did bring my kickass Voltron when I came to this great country.

I never frowned on the idea my parents couldn't get me toys cause all they cared about was keeping a roof over our heads and food on our table.

sikkbones 02-25-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vohkuhl (Post 411637)
I was a deprived child in Canada, so my parents never bought any toys (immigrated to Canada) but I thank my parents friend who had older kids willing to donate me their TFs. However, I did bring my kickass Voltron when I came to this great country.

I never frowned on the idea my parents couldn't get me toys cause all they cared about was keeping a roof over our heads and food on our table.

Single mom here growing up in public housing. Finding that ruddy is a cherished memory. Before that I had wingers hand me down seekers from neighbors.