Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers Customs and Artwork (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Repaints & Minor Mods 2012 TFCon Charity Project (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=37318)

CyberMnky 12-31-2011 08:14 PM

2012 TFCon Charity Project

Hello everyone, its getting to be that time again when our esteemed group of customizers put their hard work to a good use and help a good cause.

Cliffjumper69 who has helped organized the last two years has stepped down due to a busy life and I have elected to step up to manage things this year.

The charity for this years project is SABIS, an organization here in Alberta that helps individuals with Brain Damage.
http://www.sabis.ab.ca/html/sabis.htm

The reason I picked this organization is because they're very small, and receive very little funding from anywhere. I've met some of the people who have benefited from this services and really believe in the work they do to help these people live better lives.

---------------------------------------------------

However, on to the part many people are looking forward to - the theme for this years project:

A small group of Heroes chase a renegade group of evil Transformers through a transwarp portal to the distant past.
Battling in orbit of the planet the two ships fall to Earth - however an abundance of energy on the planet cause both groups to enter stasis lock where they lay dormant for hundreds of thousands of year.

Now in the present day, current activity has caused both groups to reactivate. Taking on the forms of local machines and vehicles, Optimus Primal leads his group of Maximals against Megatron's Predacons.

While I know Botcon did Cybertron modes for the Beast Wars characters years ago, this set will have them in modern vehicle modes as opposed to the cybertron modes of that set.

The set will be the basic crews from season 1:
Optimus Primal, Rhinox, Rattrap, Cheetor and Dinobot (and Tigatron and Airrazor)
vs
Megatron, Terrorsaur, Waspinator, Scorponok and Tarantulas (with BlackArachnia and Inferno)

There may also be a secret addition to be revealed at TFCon (or shortly beforehand).

Other rules for the set is that the figures will be scout and deluxe sized.
*Edit* The aesthetic we're going for is generations/classics-verse

The following people so far are signed up and as always we are always looking for more:
Cybermnky - Primal
Cliffjumper69 - Rhinox
Mumps - waspinator
Purple-Bot - dinobot, Airrazor
Primebein - Terrorsaur
Stapler - rattrap
Malwave - Megatron
obakemono - Tarantulas
General Tekno - Scorponok
Racerguy - Cheetor (by default)
Strag - Inferno
Darth Grimlock - Tigatron
CheersIan - Black Arachnia

We'll take anyone of any talent or skill level that interested. If you're interested feel free to PM me.

*Edit* Also, I would love to do a couple page long comic to go with the set. So any artists that are interested let me know.

CyberMnky 12-31-2011 08:18 PM

Re: 2012 TFCon Charity Project

1 Attachment(s)
Optimus Primal

Here is a digibash for Optimus Primal and the concept I'm going for:

Attachment 12747

Base mold is the TFTM Stockade figure, with the head and chest piece from the Cybertron Beast Prime figure. Putty will be used to cover some of the more techy details to bring the figure more in line with the classics aesthetic the project is going for. and some customs swords will be built.

sarmick01 12-31-2011 08:26 PM

When I first saw the repaint for tha mold I immediately thought of Primal.

Malwave 12-31-2011 09:23 PM

earth mode beast wars?

oh my god Daniel, sign me up! Like right now!

and give me any of them sir :) I'll do them proud!

bedtime 12-31-2011 09:26 PM

Can't wait to see these :)

Maybe I'll work on my skills and hop on board next year!

Stapler 12-31-2011 09:39 PM

Me and Mal were talking about what a set like this would be like for a few days now. We were talking about the Japanese Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo, though.

Count me in, CyberMnky! I'm all over this. :D I've been waiting for the next charity project to pop up since I've had a blast with being a part of the last two. :)

racerguy76 12-31-2011 11:42 PM

If you'll have me, I'm in. I'm slowly warming up to BW, maybe this wil help.

Big Filipino 01-01-2012 12:34 AM

Can't wait to see how this set turns out.

CyberMnky 01-01-2012 03:23 AM

Few more people and a couple edits up.

Malwave 01-01-2012 04:05 AM

god I'm deciding between Terrosaur or Megatron....which to do D:

obakemono 01-01-2012 04:10 AM

Hmmm... Classics. That's gonna make things tougher. I had half a dozen movie verse picked out. Meh I'll figure it out.

If I can modify a movie verse earth mode so that the bot mode looks "classic/beast wars" would that be acceptable?

General Tekno 01-01-2012 04:29 AM

If there's still room to get in, I'd love to. I have ideas for both Scorponok and Tarantulas potentially as far as what figures to use.

I lack experience, but having a goal would definitely give me some incentive to get something done.

Malwave 01-01-2012 05:31 AM

yay, I got Megatron!

since there isn't a wants thread...might need a Universe Galvatron, and one of those Cybertron dino-megatrons :P

strag 01-01-2012 07:37 AM

If you're still looking for more I would totally love to do Tarantulas.

Stapler 01-01-2012 01:11 PM

Aw yeah! I'm working on Rattrap! I have the perfect mold in mind for him (one of my picks for best of 2011). :D

@General Techno:That's the spirit! Having a deadline and good cause to work towards really helps encourage you to go above and beyond. You'll do great and I can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

@Racerguy: I know what you mean, bud. I find that I grow kinda attached to the characters I work on for these projects. :)

Cliffjumper69 01-01-2012 01:49 PM

I'm using Perceptor for Rhinox :D

Stapler 01-01-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffjumper69 (Post 398452)
I'm using Perceptor for Rhinox :D

Oh nice choice, Cliff! I was wondering what could work for him outside of a bulldozer.

I'm using the DOTM Tailpipe mold for Rattrap. I know that it's a movie mold, but it really doesn't look like it. It already looks like a perfect mesh of the original and BotCon toys. :)

obakemono 01-01-2012 03:03 PM

^nice.

Ok as we're apparently not keeping the doner bots a secret, I figure I better share so that I don't have a cheetor or something made of the same mold.

Making a Tarantulas out of a wreckgar. TM colors.

Was thinking of using a ROTF sideswipe but that's movieverse.

Should be fun. Any tips on making custom heads?

Stapler 01-01-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obakemono (Post 398468)
Any tips on making custom heads?

I never made custom heads from scratch (by molding or modeling), myself, but sometimes all you need is the head from another figure and shave some pieces off or add some parts. :)

chans formers 01-01-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stapler (Post 398478)
sometimes all you need is the head from another figure and shave some pieces off or add some parts. :)

^this!;) green putty also works well.

also,i kinda want to step back and let some new talents shine and participate in this one.in the end,if not all spots are filled then i'd be willing to help out,but i'd honestly prefer if some other guys were able to dip their toes into doing something fun and for a good cause.
daniel,you have mail;)

brr-icy 01-01-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chans formers (Post 398506)
^this!;) green putty also works well.

also,i kinda want to step back and let some new talents shine and participate in this one.in the end,if not all spots are filled then i'd be willing to help out,but i'd honestly prefer if some other guys were able to dip their toes into doing something fun and for a good cause.
daniel,you have mail;)

agreed with chans, i'm content to sit this one out and let some others in this time (also have a big project to get finished) if there's no one else that can, let me know, i'll jump in

Stapler 01-01-2012 08:19 PM

I just have one question, CyberMnky, how long do we have to work on these. Is there a general due date? You mentioned TFcon, so... that gives us several months right?

Mumps 01-02-2012 01:24 AM

Looking forward to making Waspinator :D

General Tekno 01-02-2012 03:28 AM

So who got Tarantulas and who Scorponok? Guess I may as well share my thoughts:

Tarantulas: DOTM Backfire. The Can-Am Spyder Human Alliance toy. Alternatively, his spider drones could be made using the human alliance walker.

Scorponok: PCC Sledge. With a minicon as his Cyberbee.

Small choices mold wise, but done keeping in mind that the leaders are gonna probably be Deluxes.

racerguy76 01-03-2012 01:32 AM

Woohoo! Default!

Cheetor eh? So who is this guy, is he popular?

Stapler 01-03-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerguy76 (Post 398751)
Woohoo! Default!

Cheetor eh? So who is this guy, is he popular?

Yeah, he's popular. He's kinda BW's Hotrod: Hot headed and eager but well meaning kid in the beginning, to the matured faction leader by the end of Beast Machines. :)

Mumps 01-11-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obakemono (Post 398468)
Making a Tarantulas out of a wreckgar. TM colors.

Was thinking of using a ROTF sideswipe but that's movieverse.

Just curoius why you chose Wreck-Gar for Tarantulus? (not criticizing your choice, don't kill me! lol)

Tarantulus has always been a very bulky robot, and both WG and Sideswipe are quite skinny guys with not much room to bulk em up if you want to retain transformation. I was debating doing Tarantulus before I chose Waspinator, and I thought that HFTD Hailstorm would have been perfect, they have quite a similar body shape, and a Tarantula is pretty much the Tank of spiders. I think that would work fantastic given a Season 1 colour scheme. I don't think TM colours would work very well considering everybody else will be using Season 1 colours.

Thats just my opinion though, I look forward to hearing your response :)
I have been in a brainstorming mood, so I have been wanting to know what everybody chose and why.

Either way I can't wait to hear and see what everybody can bring to the table! :D

obakemono 01-11-2012 02:44 PM

^Hey Mumps

the reason i initially chose WG was because of the TM Tarantulas toy (one of my all time favorites). It was intended to be an homage to the Bot and Cycle modes, I also had a paint sheme that would have incorporated some spider elements (not to mention the remolded wheels)

I think I may have gone way to hardcore on the theme of the set now that I have a better idea of what other people are using for their donor bots. and your absolutely right about the color scheme. even though my guy is 30% done I'm considering restarting him with a different mold in more "Original" colors. (I'll finish my TM Tarantulas later as a personal project)

HFTD Hailstorm is in the running as the new donor, any other suggestions?

Stapler 01-11-2012 03:08 PM

I actually think that Wreck-gar is a great mold choice, obakemono. When I think of Taratulus I think of motorcycles due to his transmetal mode and the body shape is actually pretty similar to Taranchulus' transmetal robot mode. Heck, find a way to parts form the wheel leg to go on his other shoulder and he would be pretty spot on. :)

I'm liking the idea more and more now that I think about it. I may have to try making one myself someday. :D

If you're still looking for ideas, though, General Techno already suggested the DOTM Backfire mold.

http://www.tfu.info/2011/Autobot/Backfire/backfire.htm

He kinda does evokes a Tarantulus look with his head, alt mode, and body features. His chest has details that could be used as spider eyes and whatnot.

purple-bot 01-11-2012 03:17 PM

I was gonna do dinobot out of drift, mainly because of his swords. but then some friends mentioned i should use kup, so i made this digibash, should i use cup? I also plan on using armada hoist's head. unless you think thats a rip off of the cybertron botcon version.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...inobotcopy.jpg

Stapler 01-11-2012 03:23 PM

:O That actually works really well! It really does share a lot of similarities with the original toy. That blows my idea of the movie Lockdown mold (based on Nemy Pred's awesome Animated Dinobot custom) outta the water! :clapping:

The Hoist head is also a great idea and would top it off perfectly, but don't forget that there was that Universe 2.0 Dinobot, too. But a Hoist head may be cheaper and easier to come by. :)

purple-bot 01-11-2012 03:26 PM

OOOH, good call, i'll have to dig up my uni dinobot and check

obakemono 01-11-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple-bot (Post 400850)
I was gonna do dinobot out of drift, mainly because of his swords.

I love the idea of a dinobot made out of a drift. what with dinobots samurai style honour code. (oooo TM2 dinobot drift, i wonder if i could get the crimson paint off the united version?) you could easily mold/remold his segmented rotating sword and put it where the long sword is on his back. It also ties in to the fact that he chose a fast alt mode (velociraptor).

mabey I'm over thinking it again but i am putting that TM2 DinoDrift in my to do pile.

purple-bot 01-11-2012 03:33 PM

racerguy76 01-11-2012 03:38 PM

I was gonna use Drift for Cheetor.

Animated Cheetor uses Animated Blurrs mold, Classic Blurr and Drift use the same mold. Figured it would work.

CyberMnky 01-11-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumps (Post 400835)
*snip*

Quote:

Originally Posted by obakemono (Post 400844)
*snip*

While I agree with Mumps that I don't quite see Wreck-Gar as Tarantulas - I am never never never going to tell someone donating tehir time and enrgy and figures to the project to not do something. Besides, there's always a good chance I could be quite surprised -

for example....
Quote:

Originally Posted by purple-bot (Post 400850)
I was gonna do dinobot out of drift, mainly because of his swords. but then some friends mentioned i should use kup, so i made this digibash, should i use cup? I also plan on using armada hoist's head. unless you think thats a rip off of the cybertron botcon version.

(see that segue ;) ) I would never have thought Kup looked good as Dinobot and yet this looks awesome!!

If you have an idea you like, run with it. If you want to run ideas past people here then that's always welcome. If you would like a digibash done then feel free to ask and hopefully someone can do a rough one of some sort for you.

Mumps 01-11-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberMnky (Post 400863)
While I agree with Mumps that I don't quite see Wreck-Gar as Tarantulas - I am never never never going to tell someone donating tehir time and enrgy and figures to the project to not do something. Besides, there's always a good chance I could be quite surprised -

If you have an idea you like, run with it. If you want to run ideas past people here then that's always welcome. If you would like a digibash done then feel free to ask and hopefully someone can do a rough one of some sort for you.

That's why I wanted to ask about it. I am having a hard time picturing it, but at the same time had you told me Kup as Dinobot before that photo I would have called you insane! That's what Customs are all about though, surprises. Some of the best customs have been the ones people thought would never work. I mainly wanted to ask so I could see your inspiration for using the mould.

Whether you switch to a new bot, and do WG as a personal project, or if you keep it on board for this project, I really want to see how it works.

Really though, I am excited for all of these bots from this project, I love the theme!

Also, even though I hadn't seen Purple-Bot's digi-bash, my Waspinator will be using the Tomahawk mould. I have a few surprises up my sleeve that I can hopefully pull off though. This will be my first custom with major mould changes.
(My Junkion Zombie Bob doesn't count, cause the mould changes were basically just me beating the everloving shit out of a Wreck-Gar >.>)

CyberMnky 01-11-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerguy76 (Post 400859)
I was gonna use Drift for Cheetor.

Animated Cheetor uses Animated Blurrs mold, Classic Blurr and Drift use the same mold. Figured it would work.

If you would like to use the Blurr doors/guns for cheetor I believe I have a couple I can mail you. Just lemme know.

Malwave 01-11-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumps (Post 400878)
That's why I wanted to ask about it. I am having a hard time picturing it, but at the same time had you told me Kup as Dinobot before that photo I would have called you insane! That's what Customs are all about though, surprises. Some of the best customs have been the ones people thought would never work. I mainly wanted to ask so I could see your inspiration for using the mould.

Whether you switch to a new bot, and do WG as a personal project, or if you keep it on board for this project, I really want to see how it works.

Really though, I am excited for all of these bots from this project, I love the theme!

Also, even though I hadn't seen Purple-Bot's digi-bash, my Waspinator will be using the Tomahawk mould. I have a few surprises up my sleeve that I can hopefully pull off though. This will be my first custom with major mould changes.
(My Junkion Zombie Bob doesn't count, cause the mould changes were basically just me beating the everloving shit out of a Wreck-Gar >.>)

if I could make a suggestion on Tarantulas...sort of an in-joke.....tf: prime arcee.

after all, Black Arachnia was a female character repainted from a male character....;)

course for a more serious idea, Cybertron Lugnutz or RiD sideways (the G2 mold, not Armada one)

chans formers 01-11-2012 11:14 PM

dinobot from kup looks very interesting.the tarantulus from hailstorm intrigues me too!!

dem's some sweet digibashes purplebot!!