Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   G1 Pretenders...leaking? (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=11789)

Bruticus82 10-28-2008 01:16 PM

G1 Pretenders...leaking?

So...I have about 3-4 G1 Pretenders in my collection. They've been sitting in a dry box in my bedroom for years. I took them out recently to match them up with their accessories, and, well...they seemed oily. Not all the plastic parts, mainly the arms and some of the rubberized accessories (helmet, belt). Anyone else experience this? Should I just clean it off and not worry about it? None of my other transformers seem happening. I always felt that the plastic used on those parts was different, is it breaking down?

Metrotitan 10-28-2008 01:43 PM

Re: G1 Pretenders...leaking?

Yeah I have the first three Destron Pretenders (Japanese) MIB and I noticed the shells are all oily when I opened them. I think the plastic used is deteriorating...that's what they get for using organics!!! LOL! Eventually all flesh just rots away...:p

chans formers 10-28-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruticus82 (Post 88363)
So...I have about 3-4 G1 Pretenders in my collection. They've been sitting in a dry box in my bedroom for years. I took them out recently to match them up with their accessories, and, well...they seemed oily. Not all the plastic parts, mainly the arms and some of the rubberized accessories (helmet, belt). Anyone else experience this? Should I just clean it off and not worry about it? None of my other transformers seem happening. I always felt that the plastic used on those parts was different, is it breaking down?

i had the same problems but i solved it with a fresh bath in sunlight dish soap.its a common problem along with spots appearing on the softer parts.i think the shells for the monstructor combiner gets it all the worst.:(

Nerroth 10-28-2008 04:45 PM

Speaking of Pretenders, does anyone here have any idea as to how well Metalhawk holds up?

Protoman 10-28-2008 05:27 PM

It's a common problem with any soft plastic toys in low lite dry areas, while this never happened to any Transformers, it did happen to some other figures of mine and after doing some of my own research (and finding out Monster Pretenders are the most in danger) I now take special care. Pretty much keep your collection in a room with some kind of light coming in (not sunlight, but just basic light). While humitity is a problem for your boxes, extremely dry air is what brings the moisture from the center of the rubber to the surface and creates that oily surface, worse is after that surface drys up, the plastic will crack and crumble. I learnded a great deal from GI Joe collectors who for years had this problem with the "O-Rings" (the rubber band inside a 3 inch Joe) from breaking down over time.

-KG- 10-28-2008 05:35 PM

I've had other toys this has happened too, all made of some sort of rubber. I just do my best to clean them off with some water. What Protoman says makes sense, since it's always toys that have been put away that this seems to effect.

S.A.A.M. 10-28-2008 05:36 PM

To add authenticity to the Pretenders "organic" shells, I simply believe that they are "sweating"...

Check for B.O.

Protoman 10-28-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -KG- (Post 88456)
I've had other toys this has happened too, all made of some sort of rubber. I just do my best to clean them off with some water. What Protoman says makes sense, since it's always toys that have been put away that this seems to effect.

Hehe, just trying to help. I lost my beloved Ronin Warrior's armors in this sad process.

Bruticus82 10-28-2008 09:51 PM

Huh, interesting to know! Thanks for all the info.

So just clean them off, and...keep them in a somewhat moist environment?