Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reproduction G1 Parts (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=46605)

Gaetznes 04-19-2013 02:17 PM

Reproduction G1 Parts / Weapons and other Pieces

On a related note. I'm in the middle of doing another project which involves having several thousand plastic cases reproduced. Which are not related to transformers.

However, the wife reminded me of how years ago I attempted to make a clone army of cassettes and seekers. I just love decepticons. This project failed,due to my lacking of skill.

I digress, I'm thinking about potentially sinking thousands of dollars and having a professional company make the 3D scanning of G1 Parts/Pieces & weapons etc. Which then can be converted into a CAD format, allowing for a injection mold made.

However, I occasionally get a little zealous. I want to know what would be the interest. The goal would be to have the majority of items in the $2.50 to $5 each or as a set. Perhaps very select items would be higher then that.

I will be limited to what I can do. As the company, for the price range requires a max use of 16 oz including the tree per mold.

Additionally, because of the CAD work. They say its no problem for them to label some where a R on each item. To clearly mark them as Reproductions.

Aditional Ideas My wife and I have been bouncing of each other.

Are not to just offer the standard colours. However, potentially offer parts in Transparent colours. Like, red, blue, green, aqua, charcoal, clear. The list goes on.

This Idea is not limited to G1.

Part of the key Idea with this, is to pick parts that have an overal size less then 2.5cm or one inch. This way they can be shipped OS Lettermail. Which depending on volume could be shipped for as little as $3 and up.

With all that said. What happened to Darkvo on TWF2005? It seems he disappeared sometime in 2012.

Any suggestions, recommendation, critizations are welcome.

Shockwave 75 04-19-2013 07:30 PM

Re: Reproduction G1 Parts

I'm sure your efforts would be welcome. Everyone else who was making repro parts seems to have closed up shop.

As for Darkov, I seem to remember hearing something about an illness in the family or something.

Gaetznes 04-19-2013 07:42 PM

The follow up question would be. What is on demand?

I could simply go on ebay and do a search of what is selling. But that doesn't per-say represent what is demand. As a piece that is valued at say $40, but does not sell. Could be a great seller, if sold for $10 or $15 as a repro. Making it more acceptable. As long as the color can be matched.

What are people looking for?

Mega-Prime 316 04-19-2013 07:56 PM

People are always looking for "hands", "heads" and "guns",especially if they are priced with in reason. :)

razin 04-19-2013 08:27 PM

My collection is lacking weapons for the more expensive figures. Trypticon, Sixshot, P/CP. I'd much prefer to pay a couple bux then over $50. Headmasters and their weapons/parts would be highly sought after.

GrimlockGT 04-19-2013 08:31 PM

I'd definitely be interested in this as I have purchased from Darkov in the past.

Gaetznes 04-19-2013 08:38 PM

One of the problems that must be worked around is practicality.

A mold must have as many cavities for as many weapons as possible. In order to keep cost down and allow for maximum return in as little of time.

That means 1 colour per mold. So weapons made with solid black would most likely be made. As their are many black weapons. Vs say a purple or yellow that is used with only one figure.

A balance must be made between the cheaper $5 casting and like what Razin hinted too. A repro for $20 vs $50 for an original is favorable.

So as we speak, I'm going through popular black pieces. In addition to the recommend Fist/Feet/Heads/Weapons.

Other issues would be heads or other parts that had paint or tempo's. As I wouldn't have the time to paint eyes, etc.

NOTE: I have no connection to Darkov or any other previous people reproducing Transformer Parts. This is currently an independent project.

Commandoclone87 04-19-2013 09:02 PM

I admit that I've always wanted Hasbro to sell some kind of armory kit that has different weapons that can be given to your figures.

Metroplex79 04-19-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 (Post 503167)
I admit that I've always wanted Hasbro to sell some kind of armory kit that has different weapons that can be given to your figures.

They used to do this with GI Joe. Not sure why Transformers would be treated differently.

Shockwave 75 04-20-2013 09:13 AM

Beacause unlike GIJoe, G1 TF's didn't have a standard peg size.