Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Transformers: Earth Wars May Be A Scam (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=64607)

Sir Prime A Lot 06-22-2016 01:54 AM

Transformers: Earth Wars May Be A Scam

I tried installing the Android mobile game today and when looking through the permissions it requested, I noticed it needs access to not only my phone number but also the number of everyone I call. It appears to be collecting some sort of phone number database to sell to third parties. Anyone been getting shady calls since installing this game?

Now not only do I need to avoid installing this, I need to avoid receiving calls from anyone whom may have installed it.

http://www.codemonkies.ca/131.png

predahank 06-22-2016 01:58 AM

Re: Transformers: Earth Wars May Be A Scam

your pictures too!
whoa thats a lot of info they want.
Surprised they don't request your mom's maiden name and sin#

Larkhainan 06-22-2016 02:54 AM

Not that it is or isn't a scam, but what is it coded in? I was reading recently a very similar post about another major app release where they had to put all those permissions in due to the framework requesting them regardless of their intent.

Flanker 06-22-2016 04:33 AM

If you really want to try the app without risk, you could use an Android simulator like Genymotion (for PC/Mac/Linus).

timcrook 06-22-2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Prime A Lot (Post 696233)
I tried installing the Android mobile game today and when looking through the permissions it requested, I noticed it needs access to not only my phone number but also the number of everyone I call. It appears to be collecting some sort of phone number database to sell to third parties. Anyone been getting shady calls since installing this game?

Now not only do I need to avoid installing this, I need to avoid receiving calls from anyone whom may have installed it.

http://www.codemonkies.ca/131.png

If you are referring to "device ID and call info", that is so the game can pause when phone call comes in. The "photos/media/files" permission is for game data files on sd card I believe. None of those Android access permissions is for your address book info.

xueyue2 06-22-2016 08:57 AM

I think these access requests make sense, only with maximum access your cell phone can transformer into a robot. :D

theoneyouknowleast 06-22-2016 11:00 AM

Alot of Apps these days request all permissions, due to google frameworks.

If you have Android 6.0 Marshmallow you can revoke any permissions for the app you want.

My Facebook app is denied everything for example.

As a personal practice anytime I install an app, I check and revoke permissions.

RNSrobot 06-22-2016 11:16 AM

Feel free to uninstall pretty much every app on your phone, then. Take a quick look at most of the permissions on virtually every app.

And do what theone says.

Sir Prime A Lot 06-22-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larkhainan (Post 696235)
Not that it is or isn't a scam, but what is it coded in? I was reading recently a very similar post about another major app release where they had to put all those permissions in due to the framework requesting them regardless of their intent.

They're coded in Java, more specifically an Android specific subset of Java which inherits most core Java classes. I would doubt the framework would require the permissions because all permission requests are listed in the Android Manifest file outside of any framework files and all it takes is to just delete the one line requesting that specific access in order to remove it. It's not embedded deep into the code or anything. I develop Android applications, it's fairly well set up like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcrook (Post 696244)
If you are referring to "device ID and call info", that is so the game can pause when phone call comes in. The "photos/media/files" permission is for game data files on sd card I believe. None of those Android access permissions is for your address book info.

I'm referring to how it explicitly asks for the device's phone number and the phone number of the call it is connected to. Those aren't required to pause the game when a call is received. It's poor programming to not limit the access restriction to only what the program needs.

Pgianos 06-22-2016 12:15 PM

Nothing is for free... You think they make the game for the fans only? There is always a bottom line.