Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Renovating space for display. Looking for advice! (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=80241)

Msol 07-30-2020 10:32 PM

Renovating space for display. Looking for advice!

2 Attachment(s)
So on Monday we're doing a reno on my basement. I'm trying to figure out a layout for my office that works and was looking for some advice. I've got 12' by 9' to work with, and I can move the door wherever I want. There are no windows. I have a big desk with 2 monitors and a wacom tablet on it, and I want as much TF shelving as possible.

I've been looking at shelves that are 11.5" deep. Do you think that's too much or just right? They're each 8" long so it seems pretty ideal to me. What do you think if the right amount of space between each shelf vertically? I want to fit Fort Max somewhere, but otherwise should it be 12" between each shelf? 8"? I don't want it to look too cramped.

Anyways here is what I'm working with and what I've cooked up so far. I have no idea where I will put Haslab Unicron.

Any advice is appreciated!

Zenith27 07-31-2020 01:05 AM

Re: Renovating space for display. Looking for advice!

TV stand? Hang that flatscreen from the wall and shelves all around!

Badgertron 07-31-2020 03:26 AM

Depends how you want to display stuff. For G1, I'd think having a shelf at the bottom for huge guys would work, but most of the rest of "large" figures would be around combiner height, so that'd be a factor. Same with Generations, shelves with Leader class or combiners will need basically that much space.

Have you considered floating shelves along the upper part of the room, where you don't have normal shelving?

My shelves are around 9" deep and can snugly but comfortably display roughly 3 layers of figures. Unless you're using risers and lighting setups I worry 11.5" might be a bit deep for most displays. I guess it depends how tightly you want to pack them!

Don't forget to plan a bit of extra space if you can for collection growth! I do purges regularly but expansion can still occur. :)

DinobotsDestroyU 07-31-2020 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith27 (Post 813964)
TV stand? Hang that flatscreen from the wall and shelves all around!

💯 agree! Looks sleek and way nicer. Plus you get more space

Msol 07-31-2020 10:09 AM

Yeah I think you guys are right about hanging the TV. That way I can instead use the stand to hold Unicron.

Thanks Badger, on the depth advice. I’m shooting for max 2 rows of figures to avoid crowding (I’ll rotate figures in and out I think).

I figured Fort Max would need a foot deep of shelving, so maybe I’ll do only the East side that deep, with more shallow shelving on the other sides?

steamwhistle 07-31-2020 10:50 AM

You might want to test out your chair space, if going with a desk setup as in your second picture. By my estimate, it looks like you have a quarter-circle with a radius of 24"; that might not be enough space in which you could sit, shift, and swivel comfortably.

imfallenangel 07-31-2020 10:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It really depends on how many figures you have, and how crowded you're going to be with them, if you display them in robot or alt mode, if you plan to have them in poses/diarama approach.

My office is limited due to furniture, but I figured that some high shelves would work (and they did)

I ended up getting a 12 feet baseboard that had a nice pattern, cut it in two and painted them, mounting them with "L" brackets on top to "hide" them a bit and have a clean finish. The depth being around 6/8 inches has been a comfortable depth as I didn't want deeper than that.

With my planes, I got stands so to stagger them.

The bottom was dedicated for the Siege figures to be in "battle pose" (Autobot VS Decepticons), which, well.. ended up being a lot more than I had figured, so if I was to do this again, I would consider getting longer boards as they are much more crowded that I intended, but it still works.

So just to give you ideas.

Msol 07-31-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imfallenangel (Post 813981)
It really depends on how many figures you have, and how crowded you're going to be with them, if you display them in robot or alt mode, if you plan to have them in poses/diarama approach.

My office is limited due to furniture, but I figured that some high shelves would work (and they did)

I ended up getting a 12 feet baseboard that had a nice pattern, cut it in two and painted them, mounting them with "L" brackets on top to "hide" them a bit and have a clean finish. The depth being around 6/8 inches has been a comfortable depth as I didn't want deeper than that.

With my planes, I got stands so to stagger them.

The bottom was dedicated for the Siege figures to be in "battle pose" (Autobot VS Decepticons), which, well.. ended up being a lot more than I had figured, so if I was to do this again, I would consider getting longer boards as they are much more crowded that I intended, but it still works.

So just to give you ideas.

Thanks for the advice! Glad to see a real-life example of this. Oh, can you tell me the vertical distance between the two shelves?

And yeah the desk/chair combo runs the risk of getting crowded. I’ll test it out and see how it feels on the fly I guess.

steamwhistle 07-31-2020 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some thoughts:
Not sure of the height of the various units (Cooler, TV Stand, Cabinet).

"Desk 2" in the first layout gains desk space, but makes it more cluttery, and means more of a walk-around to get to your desk chair from the door.

Less walk-around from the door to your desk chair in the second layout. Not sure if your cooler is attractive enough to put in the middle like that though. I am envisioning a mini-fridge-type thing. You could built an enclosure for it to hide it. Or move it under one of the long wall shelves, if possible. Or remove "Desk 2" and place it there.

Wall-mounting the TV, as suggested, is a good idea.

Depending on your desk, you might be able to add shelves on the wall over the desk (in either layout).

Best of luck with your project!

(Note: 32" wide door shown)

Msol 07-31-2020 01:26 PM

To be honest I’m now thinking of getting rid of the cooler. And yeah it’s maybe 2-3 feet tall? I’d planned on placing my CRT on top of it, but instead I’ll use the TV stand while mounting a new HDTV.

The cabinet is a billy bookcase. I’ll hold onto it for now.