Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers Customs and Artwork (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Repair Thread (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=4003)

dak 09-24-2007 02:02 PM

Repair Thread

Post here if you need help or advice on fixing your broken toys.

dragon_ap 09-24-2007 02:10 PM

Re: Repair Thread

Is there a way to fix the arms and doors of alternators that always seem to pop out?

Hound 09-24-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon_ap (Post 22805)
Is there a way to fix the arms and doors of alternators that always seem to pop out?

I've had a few doors pop off some of my alts but they just pop right back on again (I know I made in sound easy but sometimes it can feel a little scary - you may have to use some force, carefully.)

dak 09-24-2007 03:06 PM

I can only see that if you were to replace their joints with pin joints. or if they are loose, add a bit of glue or clear nailpolish to make it a tougher joint. but otherwise, the toys were made to come appart like that. Child safety stuff.

dragon_ap 09-24-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak (Post 22814)
I can only see that if you were to replace their joints with pin joints. or if they are loose, add a bit of glue or clear nailpolish to make it a tougher joint. but otherwise, the toys were made to come appart like that. Child safety stuff.

Cool, Thanks for the advice.
Im fine with popping them back in but do you have a tutorial or something on replacing them with pin joints? How about the arms where its plastic on plastic?

Dark Rage 10-02-2007 09:02 PM

Hey, does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up the metal parts of a G2 Devastator? I don't want to use a really harsh chemical or anything, but there's this possible oxidation on the metal parts, and I was hoping to clean it up a bit.

Also, I was hoping to give the plastic a safe, but clean scrubbing and remove the old stickers and add reprolables onto it. Any suggestions on how to safely clean the plastic too?

Although it might not be possible, and I'm guessing I might end up really rusting up the metal.

TTT 10-02-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark_rage (Post 24077)
Hey, does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up the metal parts of a G2 Devastator? I don't want to use a really harsh chemical or anything, but there's this possible oxidation on the metal parts, and I was hoping to clean it up a bit.

Can you post a pic ?

Quote:

Also, I was hoping to give the plastic a safe, but clean scrubbing and remove the old stickers and add reprolables onto it. Any suggestions on how to safely clean the plastic too?

Is it painted plastic ?

Quote:

Although it might not be possible, and I'm guessing I might end up really rusting up the metal.

possible.

Aernaroth 10-02-2007 09:36 PM

Are the metal pins inside of g1 powerglide's wings adhered there some how, or will a bit of tugging and a pair of needlenose pliers be enough to remove them?

TTT 10-03-2007 01:10 AM

NOT sure about G1 figs but this may help.... http://www.tfmaster.com/articles_pin.php
Maybe wait and see what dak says before you try this on a G1 fig (plastic may be too brittle).

beatrush 10-03-2007 12:20 PM

anyone have any tips or know how to replace shockwave's legs?

I have two junker shockwaves both with a leg broken, I am hoping to combine the non-broken legs to one shockwave.

Skywarp's Shadow 10-03-2007 06:42 PM

For classics starscream the hole on his arm for th null ray is a bit big for the cannon itself, can I apply nail polish on the peg of the cannon?

TTT 10-04-2007 01:23 AM

Try that, just apply a LITTLE at first & let it dry then test fit. I would apply it to the hole in his arm(around the insides), instead of to the cannon peg.

dak 10-04-2007 02:51 AM

I'm not sure about the metal part. I'd need to do some research on that one. How bad is the oxidation? any pics of that?

Sticker removal can be done with a mild detergent and water. You can also use Goo Gone, but i don't sugest it for painted area's. If the bit of soap and water doesn't work, try a drop or 2 of white vinigar in water and use that as a remover. Is does tend to leave a smell after, so clean your character to remove the smell.

Quote:

dak 10-04-2007 02:54 AM

All i can tell you is to take the god one appart piece by piece, and do the same with the broken one, then re assemble the good one on the broken one. I do not have Shockwave myself, but that is the best suggestion I can tell you. If there are spicific area's that are troubling you, post some pics and I can we can all try and help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatrush (Post 24175)
anyone have any tips or know how to replace shockwave's legs?

I have two junker shockwaves both with a leg broken, I am hoping to combine the non-broken legs to one shockwave.

dak 10-04-2007 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skywarp's shadow (Post 24262)
For classics starscream the hole on his arm for th null ray is a bit big for the cannon itself, can I apply nail polish on the peg of the cannon?

Yes you can use nail polish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTransTorture (Post 24318)
Try that, just apply a LITTLE at first & let it dry then test fit. I would apply it to the hole in his arm(around the insides), instead of to the cannon peg.

TT is right on how to go about the process, but I'm going to say put the polish on the peg rather than the hole because if you add too much to the hole then you've just screwed it up. But, if it's on the peg you can atleast take some sand paper and sand it down to a thinner layer or back to what you started with. cleaning out the inside of the hole is possible, but much more difficult than removing from the peg.

Aernaroth 10-04-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Problem is that once the rust gets there, its a real pain to get off. However, try using rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball or a q-tip on the metal part (the higher the alcohol content, the better). If you get some on the plastic, no big deal. If you find you're getting smearing on the metal as you wipe, try spraying a tiny bit of alcohol on it, and then use a hair dryer to dry it off.

It might not get anything off if its oxidation, but if its just grime or dirt, it might help.

S.A.A.M. 11-27-2007 09:31 PM

My MP Prime's left foot keeps popping off. The ball joint doesn't seem to want to keep the foot in place. Any ideas guys?

dak 11-27-2007 10:45 PM

there is a bit of spring action to the foot. a bit more force may be needed to fully pop the ball back in the socket. otherwise you can put a thin layer of clear nail polish on the ball, let it dry and that should do it.

TTT 11-27-2007 11:05 PM

My old 20th Ann.(2004) has the same prob. every time an ant walks by POP off it goes.....:rolleyes:

Stoneclaw 12-09-2007 06:04 PM

I have a new classics Astrotrain and one of his arms are REALLY loose, like as soon as u touch it it falls off, any suggestions of ways to fix it, ive tried popping the ball in but it is as far in as possible

Nocturn 12-09-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skywarp's shadow (Post 24262)

if you apply it to the hole, the weapon will still fit in all other holes plus that one smoothly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneclaw (Post 32024)
I have a new classics Astrotrain and one of his arms are REALLY loose, like as soon as u touch it it falls off, any suggestions of ways to fix it, ive tried popping the ball in but it is as far in as possible

standard school glue stick glue. pop off the ball and apply some, let it dry, then pop it back it. worked like a charm for my high score 100's foot.

Icetron 12-12-2007 04:29 PM

I guess this would go here. The classics BB that I got has some weird smell or something, I'm thinking of throwing it into a bucket of soapy water for a few days or something. Would that cause the screws/pins to rust or something? I took out all the screws already but I don't really want to take out the pins in case I mess it up. If it'll cause rusting then I'll just try wiping the pieces one by one or something.

TTT 12-12-2007 08:51 PM

Give it about 5 minutes in white vinegar, then rinse thoroughly and shake all the water out - maybe blast 'em with a blow dryer, keep him in a warm room.
I wouldn't be to worried about leaving him in water as much as leaving him "wet" (out of water).

Icetron 12-12-2007 09:39 PM

thanks TransTorture, I'll probably try that tomorrow night or something. :) A blowdryer shouldn't melt the plastic right? My blowdryer has 2 cold switch settings and 2 hot switch settings.

TTT 12-12-2007 10:10 PM

Heh....what I go through to melt plastic.....no blowdryer won't do it - but use caution.
Fan it from side to side & rotate the figure as you go.

Paradigm-Shift Prime 12-12-2007 10:14 PM

anyone know where to get very small screws like ones used on transformers?

dak 12-12-2007 10:58 PM

I found some in a similar size... maybe slightly larger at Home depot. Might be worth it to check it out.

Paradigm-Shift Prime 12-14-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak (Post 32403)
I found some in a similar size... maybe slightly larger at Home depot. Might be worth it to check it out.

Ok, I'll give it a go sometime. I've tried Rona and Canadian tire's individual screw selection and nothing even close to small enough and in enough variations.

Two I'm dying for right now are the back knee screws for G1 Metroplex (look like they have a washer attached to them) and the little limb screws for the Dinobots (snarl's front leg for me).

I've been wondering if I have to find some sort of craft/hobby store (not Michaels) that would specialize and have a large selection. They have to exist somewhere.

TTT 12-15-2007 01:17 AM

Try Radio Shack... or whatever the hell they're called now.
If I ever need any thing like that I part out junk electronics - smoke detectors, calculators, phones, other toys is a good one to, especially those tiny(and cheap) radio control cars.

kakit 12-20-2007 08:37 PM

Tried taking Energon Demolishor apart for a look. Want to repaint him during the holidays, but not sure where the small white piece and the spring go.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b3...8/IMG_0458.jpg

StarwarsTF 12-20-2007 09:46 PM

OMG you killed kenny!!! You bastard!!!!!

LMAO I had to, I haven't had the opportunity to see a broken transformer yet.

kakit 12-20-2007 09:51 PM

lol but its not "broken" just taken apart. XD

dak 12-21-2007 12:37 AM

Mine's put away, but are there any clicking joints??

kakit 12-22-2007 04:14 PM

Err doesn't appear to be any but not sure where the white piece and spring went in since it fell out immediately. Here's another shot, there are three holes on the side of the main brick, but not sure what to do.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b3...8/IMG_0636.jpg

dak 12-22-2007 06:35 PM

I think I've got it. the center of the chest, with the purple and the truck grill, there seems to be 3 indents on the left pin. What if the spring goes inside the white thing and goes in the side of the chest.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9...5766yr3.th.jpg

kakit 12-22-2007 08:48 PM

Can't seem to get it to work... but thanks though.

Stoneclaw 01-02-2008 11:16 AM

Any answer to my problem? Loose Classics Astrotrain arm?

dak 01-02-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneclaw (Post 34014)
Any answer to my problem? Loose Classics Astrotrain arm?

there was a reply on page 3: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showp...5&postcount=21

you can also try clear nail polish, or model glue to make the ball bigger.

Grimlock 01-11-2008 02:24 AM

hey all new to the boards here and im looking for some help and some parts.

I just won some damaged classics figs and I need parts for em. Where is the best place to find other damaged/incomplete figs? if anyone has some of the parts I need It would be greatly appreciated :D thanks

dak 01-11-2008 02:35 AM

Bast bet is to put a thread in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, telling what parts you need, and see what people have, or go on ebay for Parts lots. If you have a broken part that needs to be repaired, Post here.

And Welcome to the boards!