Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ITT: We extrapolate how our lives might be different... (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=39547)

Nomad 04-18-2012 03:56 AM

ITT: We extrapolate how our lives might be different...

... if we bought/didn't buy, or otherwise acquired different transformers instead of certain ones that played roles in our lives (be it big or small)?

For example, I often playfully wonder if things would've been different if I'd never gotten the Transmetal Depth Charge back in the day, as he was the last one I picked up as a kid along with TM Cheetor, and the main one I still paid attention to during my time away from the hobby. Like, even when all of my shit was in plastic tubs, he was the one I always kept in my room in some capacity (on my shelf, in my closet, floating around my my carpet, etc), and he was always a reoccurring character of sorts through my life because of it, even when out of the spotlight. He also represented a conclusion of sorts to "buying toys", and while this was obviously a fallacy, it still stood for some sort of growth nevertheless.

Also, would things have changed if I got Rampage instead, and looking even farther back... when if I'd begged my dad to get me G2 Hubcap instead of G2 Bumblebee?

Truthfully, I can't see that having much of a widespread effect (at least not without a hefty imagination), but I'm sure you guys will have better examples. I'm sure of it. :canada:

Protoman 04-18-2012 12:21 PM

Re: ITT: We extrapolate how our lives might be different...

While my choices were not really my own for my G1 Transformers ages 3-13 (They were all presents from family or friends).

But seeing that Beast Wars commercial back in 1995 (before the show existed) and picking up "red eyed" Deluxe Cheetor put this drunk back on the wagon.

joshimus 04-18-2012 12:43 PM

Ironically, Beast Wars Depthcharge was the MOMENT I started collecting. After I bought him it was Rampage then hunt for my Maximals and Predicons. That's how it all started for me. I had my toys as a kid, then friggin Depthcharge and Rampage pulled me in.

Stapler 04-18-2012 12:51 PM

It was Alt Skids that brought me back into collecting. Back when I was on the official movie boards around 06, I had no idea that there were G1 characters in toy form out there. Then I discovered Classics and went back and caught up on what I missed (RiD and the Unicron trillogy) and I was hooked all over again.

I just kinda drifted away from Transformers after BM (but still loved them) and I tend to wonder if I'd be here now if the 07 movie never happened. If it wasn't for that, I never would have gone to the toy section and found Skids.

ConvoyGTR 04-18-2012 10:40 PM

If my first TF wasn't a b-day gift of Powermaster OP, would I of become a Prime collector? I'm sure I would of still collected TFs, but would my collection be bigger because I didn't have a bigger focus on one character, or less because my interest level in collecting was lower because I didn't have a favorite character that drove me more to collecting?

I am a fan of other characters too, but that doesn't mean I will buy toys of it (I'm picky), if like, the toy wasn't super awesome i.e. PRID Knock Out. Huge Knock Out fan but, toy is meh looking.

Or not collected or dropped out early of TFs all together because I didn't get that toy at that time in my life that sparked everything. Then that gets into if I would of had more non TF stuff (like that armour thing below) or never became a collector of anything at all.

Interesting question. If only the show Sliders were real, I would be able to find out, but may not be able to get back to my world........

Vain 04-18-2012 11:45 PM

I had my beat up Beast Wars Bonecrusher,Optimus Primal and Megatron displayed up on my shelves for years because they meant so much to me, Years after I had grew out of it (Around 5th grade).

I met my gal three years ago and she saw those three and we talked about em and I told her that I loved Transformers and always had a soft spot in my heart for the whole franchise. She asked who my favorite was and I told her Sunstreaker whom she was completely oblivious to.

Few days later we strolled in the local mall and passed by Sears where I saw universe 2.0 Streaker, picked him up, tore him out of the package and three years later, here I am.

Honorable mentions: Had I never gotten G1 Astrotrain, I wouldn't of cared for the franchise,Had I not gotten Perceptor and Blaster, I would not of gotten into brawls in the playground on whether they were cooler then Soundwave or not. Had I not a Tryticon and g2 Brawl, I would not had a base and tank for my COBRA troops! Shut up, I had to make due with what I had!

Nomad 04-19-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR (Post 424338)
If my first TF wasn't a b-day gift of Powermaster OP, would I of become a Prime collector? I'm sure I would of still collected TFs, but would my collection be bigger because I didn't have a bigger focus on one character, or less because my interest level in collecting was lower because I didn't have a favorite character that drove me more to collecting?

I am a fan of other characters too, but that doesn't mean I will buy toys of it (I'm picky), if like, the toy wasn't super awesome i.e. PRID Knock Out. Huge Knock Out fan but, toy is meh looking.

Or not collected or dropped out early of TFs all together because I didn't get that toy at that time in my life that sparked everything. Then that gets into if I would of had more non TF stuff (like that armour thing below) or never became a collector of anything at all.

Interesting question. If only the show Sliders were real, I would be able to find out, but may not be able to get back to my world........

I remember Sliders, specifically this one episode where they bounce into a reality dominated by women. Actually, the part I remember most had to do with the group eating a pretzel to figure out if they were back home or not, which I found hilarious.

... but yeah, you & Protoman not being your respective fanboys, I don't know if we could handle that hah.

DamonL 04-19-2012 01:03 AM

I know how you guys feel, I actually wasn't that much into toys and figures up until a year ago.. as a kid I played with power rangers and all, but I never really got into transformers until really recently.

without being too biased, I understand why some fans don't like the michael bay transformers, but without a doubt, it brought new audience and also made transformers more popular again in the main stream media. I got crazy over the live action films.. and began to get into the G1 stuff, and TF prime etc etc.. and I got so into it I check for new TF news every single day haha

Sideswipe 04-19-2012 01:51 AM

When I was a kid, I had a mix of all the transformable robots; TFs, Gobots, the gas station stuff, I loved them all.

I probably had more tfs as a result of the franchise continuing though. What held me over toy-wise would probably go to the micromaster line in 1988(?) and onward. What got me BACK into tfs was definitely learning about Beast Wars airing on tv, and new transformer goodness to come. I did not get any Beast Wars toys at the time (high school has many demands), but I took a light stab at Armada (fail) and a bigger stab at Energon (less of a fail toywise) which led to some G1 aquasition ala flea maket style and then later again into Alternators.

I love this hobby. <3

alternatorfan 04-19-2012 02:37 AM

MAN I FEEL OLD AS I WONDER WHAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE GETTING TOYS FROM CONSUMERS DISTRIBUTING LIKE G1 SCORPONOK OR FORTRESS MAXIMUS REALLY KICKING MYSELF NOW AS I KEPT EVERYTHING FROM THE 80'S COMPLETE WITHOUT BOX BUT THOSE BOXS IN THAT ERA WENT TO THE LANDFILL LOL!