PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the "Battle Damage" off my optimus prime?

zuffyprime
06-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Hey guys,
I thought I'd appeal to the experts...

Just got my 2-pack animated optimus prime, and I was wondering... how the heck do I get the "battle damage" off?

Is there some solution that I can rub on it that will take the black marks off, but not destroy the plastic? Also are there any hazards with this... ie) must be in a well ventilated place, it will burn my hands off etc...

Pls help, I like the figure, but can't stand the "battle damage"...
thanks in advance guys,
Zp

Nemesis Predaking
06-24-2008, 10:32 AM
From Johndillinga's thread over on TFW

Didn't like the battle damaged look of 2 pack Animated Prime so Last night after buying him since Animated Finally came to my area I decided he needed to be redone to remove the craptacular battle damage paint apps. And plus to take a break from working feverously on Nightbeat

Used some 91% isop Alcohol to remove the paint off the none painted areas and repainted the entire chest, while I know the red on the chest now doesn't match the plastic color (But does it ever on Hasbro releases when they paint transparent plastics?)
Also added Animated(Show wise) acurate paint apps, Detailed the battle axe, and added the missing yellow paint needed and a Autobot symbol to cover the movie style symbol that Hasbro lazily slapped on instead of a normal one.

Overall only took 2 hours from start to finish (Counting paint drying and clearcoating).

If you want to see the whole thread
http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/repaints-and-minor-mods-4/battle-damage-who-needs-battle-damage-165385/

zuffyprime
06-24-2008, 10:17 PM
thanks man, much appreciated... do you know if there is a solution that will take off "just" the black paint, and not the paint on the rest of his chest?

Nemesis Predaking
06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
None that I am aware of, anything that will remove the black will most likely take the red as well.

StarFire
06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Try a diluted isop alcohol/water mix with a q-tip and a rag at hand. Dip the qtip in your solution, dab it on the black sparingly, and immediately wipe it off with the rag.

zuffyprime
06-26-2008, 01:28 PM
you guys rock, thank you

Autovolt 127
07-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Recenlty i got battle Begins Optimus and i'm wondering what kind of Paints or where i can get the paint to paint over.

Is it easier just to paint over the Black Damage?

TTT
07-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Use Acrylics and you can paint right over BUT...do light coats, not 1 heavy thick coat.
Do 1 light coat & come back in 15 min. & do another, repeat till done.
Tamiya is great but...Games Workshop/Citadel or Testors Model Masters are THEE best.
Tamiya & Testor MM can be found at local hobby shops & GW/C can be found at Games Workshop stores.
They are all between $3-$4 a crack.
Don't use a crappy old brush, buy a new one :)

Autovolt 127
08-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Use Acrylics and you can paint right over BUT...do light coats, not 1 heavy thick coat.
Do 1 light coat & come back in 15 min. & do another, repeat till done.
Tamiya is great but...Games Workshop/Citadel or Testors Model Masters are THEE best.
Tamiya & Testor MM can be found at local hobby shops & GW/C can be found at Games Workshop stores.
They are all between $3-$4 a crack.
Don't use a crappy old brush, buy a new one :)

How many light coats.

and what kind of Games shops like EB Games game shops

FreedomGundam
08-01-2008, 10:51 AM
How many light coats.

and what kind of Games shops like EB Games game shops
"Games Workshop", not games shops.
Games Workshop is the name of a series of stores that deal with miniatures and miniatures+board games.

TTT
08-01-2008, 10:50 PM
How many light coats.

and what kind of Games shops like EB Games game shopsDepends on how it looks to you, you'll know when you're done when you can't see what it is you're trying to cover.
Also depends on what paint you use, Tamiya may take 3-5
GW/C or Testors MM may take 1-3

"Games Workshop", not games shops.
Games Workshop is the name of a series of stores that deal with miniatures and miniatures+board games.
Exactly.
That is where you will find their paints.
Games Workshop

http://ca.games-workshop.com/

They have a "find a store" feature on the home page.