PDA

View Full Version : Testing some functions

Outtsyder
01-02-2021, 07:48 PM
Working on something that may lead to an idea pretty soon. Will probably be edited and reworked several times.
If anyone wants to click on a poll option, go ahead; it'll help me figure out what I need to do if I go ahead with my idea.
Note to self #1: Barring something I've overlooked, no sign of a method to edit a poll (e.g. correcting an error), at least while it's active. Will wait until expiry if options will appear.

delrue
01-03-2021, 12:56 AM
This post brought to you by Candidate 3 gang.

Outtsyder
01-03-2021, 06:09 PM
This post brought to you by Candidate 3 gang.

All two of 'em. ;) Thanks.

Just a couple hours to go for this stage of the test...

(Update to self - Test concluded; polls cannot be edited / altered once post is up.)

Robimus
01-03-2021, 10:47 PM
Working on something that may lead to an idea pretty soon. Will probably be edited and reworked several times.
If anyone wants to click on a poll option, go ahead; it'll help me figure out what I need to do if I go ahead with my idea.
Note to self #1: Barring something I've overlooked, no sign of a method to edit a poll (e.g. correcting an error), at least while it's active. Will wait until expiry if options will appear.

I do have the ability it edit it if required.

Outtsyder
01-03-2021, 11:45 PM
I do have the ability it edit it if required.

Thanks, chief, though I wonder if you'd be able to keep up with the frequency of the changes I have in mind (i.e. real life and spare time permitting). I didn't want to "spoil" my idea too soon, but here's what I have in mind (I plan to "officially" announce it in the General TF Discussion forum - "coming soon" announcement this Wednesday, game starting next Sunday). It's a TF "dream combat tournament" with a number of characters paired in one-to-one fights, and the membership votes for the winner(s) in a poll.

Since the poll feature doesn't seem to allow several matches in a tournament round within the same poll (e.g. I can't set up eight matches in one poll in the way I want it to work), I'll need to have a separate poll for each match. My only concern is that I don't want the membership to feel like I'm spamming the board with multiple threads of the same theme, simply because I can't reset the poll in order to present the next match. And since there will be a high number of characters in this tournament game - 24 of them - that will lead to a LOT of threads.

To give an idea of how I'd be scheduling the release of the match polls in this Tournament game -
For the first three rounds, I plan to have two matches a week (each match starting Sundays and Wednesdays), with each poll lasting three days. But that would mean two match polls a week for ten weeks.
For the latter rounds, though (semifinals, finals, etc.), each match poll would be a week long, starting on Sundays. Main reason for the difference in pacing is I wanted the earlier rounds to have a faster pace, but the latter rounds will allow more time.
And also, I thought that, if I gave a full week to each match from the beginning, it might drag too long into the year. ;)

Hope this gives a rough idea of what I wanted to do. I just don't want the members to be turned off by too many separate threads related to the upcoming game.

Robimus
01-04-2021, 03:00 PM
I think it would work fine.

Just create a new thread/poll for each match up. Two a week is fine.

Outtsyder
01-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Cool; thanks for the green light. :cool: