PDA

View Full Version : Henkei Powered Convoy (cab only)

FreedomGundam
06-04-2008, 12:22 AM
So I had an extra Classics Optimus Prime sitting around that I fruitlessly tried to sell. I gave up after a while, and figured I could repaint him.

Magnus has been done, Nemesis will soon to be released, so I figured I'd go with the Powered Convoy color scheme (Movie Preview Ultra Magnus).

I opted to give him roughly Henkei Convoy's deco (instead of Classics Prime), for several reasons:
1) It'll be different than the Classics Prime that he started out as
2) Since both Powered Convoy and Movie-Preview Ultra Magnus were Japan-only toys, it's only fitting that he gets the Japanese treatment
I actually like the Classics deco more, so it's not like I painted this guy like he is because I think the Henkei deco is superior...

The only thing that I really kept the Classics deco with was the upper arms (biceps). I didn't like how Henkei Convoy's upper arms were the same color as his shoulders and forearms. Hence, I painted Powered Convoy's upper arms silver, to match the Classics scheme.

Pretty much all the red plastic was painted blue; the blue plastic was painted black; the grey plastic was painted silver. Some of you might know that a lot of his joints are made of a softer red plastic that doesn't take paint very well; I dyed those parts black. And while I normally like to keep cool features like lightpiping, I had to paint over it to get the metallic yellow eyes.

Front pics:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/Henkei_Powered_Convoy/pconvoy01.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/Henkei_Powered_Convoy/pconvoy11.jpg

Back pics:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/Henkei_Powered_Convoy/pconvoy02.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/Henkei_Powered_Convoy/pconvoy12.jpg

Vehicle mode pics:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/Henkei_Powered_Convoy/pconvoy21.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/Henkei_Powered_Convoy/pconvoy22.jpg

I'd normally show comparison pics with other figures, but:
1) my Classics Prime is currently packed away in the back of my closet
2) my Classics Magnus is still MISB
3) I beleive my Henkei Convoy is on its way to me in the mail... somewhere...
4) Botcon 2008 Evil Optimus Prime doesn't make for a good comparison

Comments, criticism and whatnot much encouraged and appreciated!

Dark Rage
06-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Wow, that is gorgeous. This is the best Paintjob I've seen for this mold! If only you did Customs on commission, lol

What paint do you use? It's usually Krylon or Tamiya for most customizers.

I can't wait for you to show all 7 versions of Classics Optimus:

Power Convoy Cab
Classics Optimus Prime
Classics Ultra Magnus
Henkei Convoy
Crystal Henkei Convoy
SDCC Classics Nemesis Prime
Takara Exclusive Black Convoy

GMfan
06-04-2008, 01:08 AM
If you get a City commander set (I'd get 2 one to keep in original colours) you may have to make a Powered Convoy :P

JaySmith
06-04-2008, 01:23 AM
I think Hasbro needs to start taking notes, as I've definitely been more impressed with user based customs over retail product as of recent.

TTT
06-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Outstanding paint job FG ! ...looks factory !!!

Nocturn
06-04-2008, 09:27 AM
!!!...

Iron Moose
06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
that's beautiful. A lovely blue, especially.

Benzo
06-04-2008, 05:41 PM
pure awesome!!

dak
06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
sweet!

soundwaveCA
06-04-2008, 07:35 PM
That is awesome work!

I would have taken that hands down over that lousy UM we got any day.

ne0
06-04-2008, 09:40 PM
wow! That paint job is flawless, what paint did you use? I love that blue!!!

zuffyprime
06-04-2008, 10:57 PM
amazing man, just simply amazing!

jourdo
06-05-2008, 12:07 AM
That is incredible work. So when are you going to mass produce those? ;)

Tech Spec
06-05-2008, 05:11 AM
NICE!

FreedomGundam
06-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

Wow, that is gorgeous. This is the best Paintjob I've seen for this mold! If only you did Customs on commission, lol

What paint do you use? It's usually Krylon or Tamiya for most customizers.

I can't wait for you to show all 7 versions of Classics Optimus:

Power Convoy Cab
Classics Optimus Prime
Classics Ultra Magnus
Henkei Convoy
Crystal Henkei Convoy
SDCC Classics Nemesis Prime
Takara Exclusive Black Convoy

Working on that. :)
I don't do commissions on a regular basis, but if you have something to trade that I need, I would always consider it. ;)

I used Krylon Fusion Brilliant Blue, Krylon Fusion Gloss Black, and Krylon Interior-Exterior Dull Aluminum and Testors Enamel Silver for the silver parts. The gold parts were all painted silver first, then coated with Tamiya clear yellow.

Classics Prime happens to be my favorite toy incarnation of Prime, so I'm really going all out in getting all versions of that mould... Mind you, I was also toying with the idea of getting another Classics Prime to repaint into the yellow cab from Shining Magnus...

If you get a City commander set (I'd get 2 one to keep in original colours) you may have to make a Powered Convoy :P

Funny, Pascal asked me the same thing. :) I don't think I will; I'm only getting 1 City Commander set, and I don't think I feel like repainting a $75 custom kit for this guy...

That is incredible work. So when are you going to mass produce those?

Haha! I wish I could. :D

wow! That paint job is flawless, what paint did you use? I love that blue!!!

As I mentioned above, I used a Krylon Fusion blue spray can... I think it's called Brilliant Blue... I don't remember, actually. But it's my absolute favorite color to spray, it always comes out so smooth. :)

C_Shewins
11-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Just want to ask is your Powered Convoy done by airbrush? The quality is amazing. I got an extra Prime too, interesting on doing a repaint just like you. Let me know, thanks =)

chans formers
11-05-2008, 11:56 PM
wow!!!that totally rocks!!!are you seeing this hastak?great job!!flawless victory:D

down_shift
11-05-2008, 11:59 PM
That's top shelf where momma keeps the peanut butter.

C_Shewins
11-06-2008, 09:52 PM
This paint job is just totally flawless, I am going to take FreedomGundam's advice and make myself a HENKEI Powered Convoy with my US Hasbro Convoy, lol

tusko
11-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Beautiful work.
A pleasure to behold.

jjwankenobi
11-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Me likey...