PDA

View Full Version : Classic Ultra Magnus

ne0
02-18-2008, 03:20 AM
I just got this figure a couple of weeks ago, I was very impressed with this mold, but felt it needed more detail and some more colour.

So here is my custom, this really isn't a repaint, more like an upgrade.

Hope you guys like it!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j291/Ne0_24/IMGP4261.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j291/Ne0_24/IMGP4264.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j291/Ne0_24/IMGP4250.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j291/Ne0_24/IMGP4245.jpg

I am really starting to like this classic toy line, I am gonna start looking for some more to add to my collection.

chisau
02-18-2008, 03:41 AM
nice work with the shadowing. really brings out the details.

Optimus_Prime
02-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Good work! Looks like he really was in the battle for Autobot city!

TTT
02-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Dude that's friggen awesome !
Do you have Classics Jetfire yet ?
Try that with him, perfect figure for that treatment.

Nemesis Predaking
02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
That's FREAKING SWEET !!!
Good luck in your hunt for more Classics.

Optimus_Prime
02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I am also looking for 3 classics, to complete my collection. But I don't repaint/remold them. I couldn't do that good anyways!

dak
02-18-2008, 02:08 PM
looks great!

Code of Honor
02-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Great looking figure, and great pictures too, good job.:)

Dark Rage
02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
lol, you repainted the loose one I sold ya! Wow that is awesome, which paints did you use?

Reminds me of the gundam model kits I make.

ne0
02-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Dude that's friggen awesome !
Do you have Classics Jetfire yet ?
Try that with him, perfect figure for that treatment.

Yeah, I got a classic jetfire, I am planning to do a more G1 actuate repaint, so that won't be for awhile.

lol, you repainted the loose one I sold ya! Wow that is awesome, which paints did you use?

Reminds me of the gundam model kits I make.

lol, right when I got it, I started to paint it, I was so impressed with the mold and knew that it would look really good with some detailing.

Thank you everybody for all the positive feedback!

Tech Spec
02-19-2008, 04:22 AM
looks very badass man! do you need a Classics Astrotain or Grimlock?

evil_ivotron
02-19-2008, 10:04 AM
looks awesome. love the black accent.

ne0
02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
looks very badass man! do you need a Classics Astrotain or Grimlock?

No, I just found someone that was selling pretty much all the classics, the only one I am missing is starscream or skywarp.

darkNRG
02-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Cool lining. How did you do that? Did you do a black wash or use a black lining pen?

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
02-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Looks amazing! i love what you've done :)

ne0
02-20-2008, 09:57 PM
I did a black wash, it looks way better then lining pen, because it gives it way more shades and texture, if you look closely at the legs, you will see difference shades of black, I wish the camera could capture the full affect.

Cool lining. How did you do that? Did you do a black wash or use a black lining pen?

Dark Rage
02-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Just curious, which paints did you use?

ne0
02-23-2008, 04:22 AM
I always use Tamiya paint, it is easy to use and clean up, if anyone else is planning on doing this, I would recommend a lighter shade of black.

If you use black wash on white, it tends to be a little two dark, a really dark gray would have been perfect.

Just curious, which paints did you use?

Dark Rage
02-23-2008, 04:32 AM
I always use Tamiya paint, it is easy to use and clean up, if anyone else is planning on doing this, I would recommend a lighter shade of black.

If you use black wash on white, it tends to be a little two dark, a really dark gray would have been perfect.

So you have experience in gunpla or scale modelling? Heh.

Yeah, panel lining w/ black is much too dark, a dark grey works best for me, or even just a wash of "Smoke" colour.

Its really interesting that you use Tamiya instead of the typical paint TF customizers use (Krylor or something, the name escapes me memory), since customizers complain that the paint is "weak" and scratches off easily.

ne0
02-23-2008, 11:58 AM
So you have experience in gunpla or scale modelling? Heh.

Yeah, panel lining w/ black is much too dark, a dark grey works best for me, or even just a wash of "Smoke" colour.

Its really interesting that you use Tamiya instead of the typical paint TF customizers use (Krylor or something, the name escapes me memory), since customizers complain that the paint is "weak" and scratches off easily.

What is gunpla? I don't do any scale modeling, this is actually my second custom. I am just learning as I go along.

I never thought of using smoke as a wash, that does sound like a good choice for doing a wash on white.

I know tamiya paint is weak, but since it is really only for paneling, most of the paint is trapped in the gap, so no worries of the paint chipping. I also really like the colour section and look of their paint.

Using krylor would require me to spay paint, and I find it too thick, I am planning on airbrushing some stuff later on since it will be thinner and then I can just seal it with a clear coat to help prevent it from chipping.

Dark Rage
02-23-2008, 08:55 PM
What is gunpla? I don't do any scale modeling, this is actually my second custom. I am just learning as I go along.

The technique looks familiar, I thought you may have made gundam model kits (aka gunpla) before. As for the "weak" tamiya paints when it comes to transforming the figure, I think spraying a sealent or protective coat should solve any paint scraping problems.

TTT
02-23-2008, 09:54 PM
The thing to remember about Tamiya or any similar paints is that they are intended for "models" - not moving parts, I use Tamiya - It's awesome but I don't expect it to perform beyond its intended use.

Dark Rage
02-23-2008, 11:31 PM
The thing to remember about Tamiya or any similar paints is that they are intended for "models" - not moving parts, I use Tamiya - It's awesome but I don't expect it to perform beyond its intended use.

People use Tamiya for Gundam model kits all the time, and they move even more than Transformers, lol

StarFire
02-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Very nice! You've really brought out the detail on him.
I also typically use Tamiya, top-coated with a high-gloss (non-Tamiya) lacquer, and have found them to be very durable on all my Alt and MP repaints.

Buhawi
02-25-2008, 04:16 AM
that has loads of awesome written on it. awesome job dude.