PDA

View Full Version : macbook air, love it or hate it?

chisau
02-18-2008, 03:04 AM
I work as a graphic arts technician so i work with Mac computers. My boss (been the tech loving rich guy he is) bough a macbook air and allow his employees test run it. I worked with the air for about 2 days and i have to say:

I hate it! :mad:

It's the slowest mac i ever work with. and i've worked with the mac mini. and the price for that thing is twice as the basic macbook. the wireless network is useless because everything that it can connect to, like wifi, is locked. It is even using the slow intel graphic chip that shares the ram with the processor. so all gaming of any kind is out. and i can't even burn customer files on DVDs for the customer. I know it says "Dual Core" but i'm sure the second core is sleeping or something, because it does not multi-task well at all.

What i'm saying is....Don't buy it.....if you want to buy it, do yourself a favour, buy a regular macbook, cover it with a brush aluminum skin and buy a larger envelope.

what's you experience with the air?

Benzo
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
it looks very nice but I would never buy it. for that price I want an optical drive, at least 4 usb ports and an ethernet port.

QuadESL63
02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
the wireless network is useless because everything that it can connect to, like wifi, is locked.

Can you elaborate a little bit? What do you mean by "wireless network is useless because... is locked"?

It is even using the slow intel graphic chip that shares the ram with the processor. so all gaming of any kind is out.

All MacBooks use the cheap Intel integrated graphics chipset, unless you shell out the money for a MacBook Pro. I think it is gear towards people who want a ultra-portable light-weight notebook on the go who does not necessarily crave for brute force computing power with tons of peripherals included.

But I agree it is not the best value in town... and that 64GB flash drive option is hideously expensive (well, they are expensive to start with but still). But if you look at the other ultra-portable notebooks in the market (Sony, Panasonics, Fujitsu, etc.) they are not really that cheaper. Most ultra-portables (except the Sonys and a few others) don't have optical drive either.

P.S. BTW, may be your boss is not as rich as you might think... he just like to spent his money on stuffs ;)

dak
02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
the wireless network is useless because everything that it can connect to, like wifi, is locked.

When you try to connect to a Wi-fi connection that asks for a password, it's because of the router needing a password for their protected network. ANY computer you use to try and connect to a wireless signal, if it has a password, you'll need to enter it to use the network. It's not the computer, It's the wireless signal.

I wouldn't buy the Air cause it's not really designed for my lifestyle. The best people to use it are those that work in the media, or travel or something like that. Or even for those that have a desktop and have always wanted a laptop. It's a way of taking the basics with you, while still using your desktop as your primary computer. But the average person, depending on their job, will need a full computer. So it all depends on your lifestyle. But really in the end, it costs a lot of money for a desktop computer accessory.

Aernaroth
02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
What I want to know is how much punishment something that thin can take. I mean, from the looks of it, resting a coffee mug on top should crack something.

Dark Rage
02-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Never tried it. You work with graphics design, but this sucker isn't made for that, it's specs are too weak for graphics design, it's just made for convenient leisurely surfing IMO.

At best, you can play an old console emulator on it, lol.

chisau
02-18-2008, 07:46 PM
When you try to connect to a Wi-fi connection that asks for a password, it's because of the router needing a password for their protected network. ANY computer you use to try and connect to a wireless signal, if it has a password, you'll need to enter it to use the network. It's not the computer, It's the wireless signal.

That's my point. The macbook air have a 802.11N wifi. which is very fast for wireless networking. BUT! I can't get any "free" internet signal around the city. all hot spots have locked signals and need passwords. the only time i was able to surf the internet with the macbook air is when i was at home connected to my wireless router. Next to my very fast iMac. It does not even have a ethernet port to plug in so i can surf at work.

dak
02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
That's my point. The macbook air have a 802.11N wifi. which is very fast for wireless networking. BUT! I can't get any "free" internet signal around the city. all hot spots have locked signals and need passwords. the only time i was able to surf the internet with the macbook air is when i was at home connected to my wireless router. Next to my very fast iMac. It does not even have a ethernet port to plug in so i can surf at work.

ok, but what you said basically gave negative points to the Air, which is un true cause it depends on the network you are trying to connect to.

Dark Rage
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
No ethernet port? Woah. That's lousy.

Next thing you know, they'll remove the other essential ports, like the USB, media cards and AC!

chisau
02-18-2008, 10:40 PM
ok, but what you said basically gave negative points to the Air, which is un true cause it depends on the network you are trying to connect to.

true......the 802.11n is a wonderful technology to be included, and it is the future of WIFI. just because toronto don't have the infrastructure to support the technology doesn't make the technology itself a bad thing. it's much like a Lambogini, Wonder piece of machine, but useless in the real - practical - world.

Still, why couldn't they just install a simple Ethernet Port?!

QuadESL63
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
true......the 802.11n is a wonderful technology to be included, and it is the future of WIFI. just because toronto don't have the infrastructure to support the technology doesn't make the technology itself a bad thing. it's much like a Lambogini, Wonder piece of machine, but useless in the real - practical - world.

Still, why couldn't they just install a simple Ethernet Port?!

Most (public) locations don't have wireless N, in fact some places still use Wireless-B instead of G! Anyhow, I think WiMAX will be the future instead of "N" in public places. Intel were supposed to put WiMax support into their Santa Rosa platform (which is what Macbook Air and the latest Macbook based on) but I think the left it out. It will be in their next one due later this year.

Yes, I think having a Ethernet port will be awesome but I guess they left it out such that they can maintain the thin profile. To be honest it is a none issue if you got one of the N router at work/home, or you can get one of those USB-Ethernet adaptor which should work with MacOS. No biggie.

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
02-19-2008, 01:31 AM
It looks quite nice and flashy but i'd never buy it due to the fact i hate Macs.

Well that and maybe the fact i got no $$$ to buy it with.

Seems pretty good for a Mac though.

theLostSeeker
02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm a Mac guy, I have a 17" MacBook Pro and always worked with Macs since I'm a prolific graphic designer. I personally think the MacBook Air is more of a publicity stunt/flashy gadget than an actual improvement.

CobraCommander
02-21-2008, 10:39 PM
All I have heard is that the battery can't be replaced by the user, so not very versatile for travel :(