PDA

View Full Version : Best approach to getting a Wii at retail in Ontario?

Paradigm-Shift Prime
02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for when/where/how I should go about trying to pickup a Wii at retail? I'm in the Toronto area, I'm not going to pay inflated ebay scalper prices but I don't want to go around stores endlessly looking either. Anyone had any success with certain days, locations, etc?

jacobot
02-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Ohh, you just missed the boat load that hit the stores the end of January. Now not so much left out there. I spent the first 2 weeks of January looking and looking and looking and looking and looking. EB GAmes seemed to get the first shipment. They get them UPSed off the boat while veryone else has to wait for warehouse distribution. Maybe ask them when their next is?

soundwaveCA
02-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I've seen them in stock at TRU in Dufferin Mall from time to time, now that I think of it it's the only place I've ever seen them regularly.

CobraCommander
02-13-2008, 08:06 PM
I saw some about 20 or so yesterday at Costco way up in Richmond Hill. You can try giving them a call. I think they were priced around $270

http://www.costco.ca/Warehouse/LocationTemplate.aspx?Warehouse=592&lang=en-CA

Dark Rage
02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Online availability watch: http://consolewatch.com/

Local GTA Wii Availability: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366057&page=648

Storm.Shadow
02-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Do NOT rely on Consolewatch.com for availability from Futureshop & Bestbuy. I bought about 6-7 consoles in December online for friends and family, and Consolewatch did not once notify me. I wrote my own application to monitor the sites. Consolewatch does seem to monitor Amazon accurately however.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
02-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Cool, thanks. Might go take a look at a Costco tomorrow and if not a TRU or FutureShop on Friday (sounds like both are getting stock in then).

StarwarsTF
02-13-2008, 11:40 PM
OK ready go to TRU sat morning early or die!!!!!! Thats all I am going to say.

Tech Spec
02-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Cool, thanks. Might go take a look at a Costco tomorrow and if not a TRU or FutureShop on Friday (sounds like both are getting stock in then).

thats sounds right I went to FS on monday and they said they will be getting 15 consoles in stock adn i'm in Vancouver

RandomFerret
02-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Why would you want to buy it at retail?

Check your downtown pawn shops and record stores. I got mine for $180, and it came with some VC games.

There's a law that states places like that have to hold electronics for a month before putting them out on the floor (to make sure it's not stolen), so even if you don't see one, ask at the counter.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
02-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Ok I got one for my bro's wife and one for myself today at Scarborough Costco.

Tech Spec
02-14-2008, 04:42 PM
NICE! heading to FS torrow morning to see if I could get my grubby hands on one.

The GF has been going off on how much fun she had playing the Wii at her friends place. Which shocks me b/c she doesn't play video games LOL

jacobot
02-14-2008, 05:18 PM
But, did you get the TF Game?

Paradigm-Shift Prime
02-14-2008, 05:29 PM
But, did you get the TF Game?

Hehe, oh yeah this is a TF board. And heck no. I tried it out on PC where the graphics were best and I couldn't deal with it for more than 5 minutes, with or without a control pad.

The Wii should work well for me though, I have a decent gaming PC for all the cutting edge stuff where it is better than the ps3/xbox360 versions anyways (main FPSs for me) and then the Wii for something different and more laid back/social.

CobraCommander
02-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Good stuff!

I overheard some TRUS employees talking to a customer today and from the sounds of it you can expect many Wii's to hit the shelves this Sat, who knows we might even see a flyer promoting "family day"!

soundwaveCA
02-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Just to follow up on this and because I love Toys Toys Toys so very much, I saw the Wii on sale there today for the great rock bottom deal price of $350 :p