PDA

View Full Version : right vs. left brain

Buhawi
01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5693171,00.gif
i saw this image this morning and i couldn't wait to get back home and look at it again.
state which way it turns then make it turn the other way. fun.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html

Dark Rage
01-23-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm left handed, so it's anti-clockwise to me. (Right side of brain).

Nightscrabbler
01-23-2008, 09:32 PM
It's going clockwise. If I can't make it go the other way, does it mean I am dumb? :( Maybe when I'm more rested I'll be able to do it.

GMfan
01-23-2008, 09:47 PM
What research is this based on? It implies that all these functions are cerebral when most of them involve no part of the cortex or both hemispheres.

Ie LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing (pretty much all of the above is long term memory and is stored in the hippocampus, not part of the cerebrum)
order/pattern perception (both parietal/occipital lobes)

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
"big picture" oriented (dorsal and ventral visual streams which take into account many regions of the cerebrum)
symbols and images (Inferotemporal region, both sides but usually left dominated)
spatial perception (Parietal lobe, left and right hemisphere)
knows object function (temporal lobe, both hemispheres have a temporal lobe)
risk taking (Medulla oblongata, its a primative emotion)

Basically I wouldn't read too much into this, hardly seems to be backed by scientific fact and relies on debunked phrenology.

StarwarsTF
01-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I swear to god staring at this for thirty seconds or more she turns both ways to me!!!!

jourdo
01-24-2008, 12:29 AM
I have to join the dumb crowd myself. I cannot get her to turn the other way. All I was able to do was give myself some mild eye strain.

EDIT: Yay I got it!!! Counter-clockwise to Clockwise.

Tech Spec
01-24-2008, 12:37 AM
I made her turn counter-clockwise once

Pascal
01-24-2008, 01:05 AM
I can see her turn both ways.

Team Jetfire
01-24-2008, 01:16 AM
All I got is clock wise, and a head ache...

pandaprime
01-24-2008, 01:33 AM

Ditto!

jourdo
01-24-2008, 02:43 PM

I found staring at the ankle finally turned her for me.

theLostSeeker
01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
It's all a load of BS.

Team Jetfire
01-24-2008, 04:42 PM
so my original plan of looking at her boobs/nipples won't work?

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
01-24-2008, 05:06 PM
What research is this based on? It implies that all these functions are cerebral when most of them involve no part of the cortex or both hemispheres.

Ie LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing (pretty much all of the above is long term memory and is stored in the hippocampus, not part of the cerebrum)
order/pattern perception (both parietal/occipital lobes)

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
"big picture" oriented (dorsal and ventral visual streams which take into account many regions of the cerebrum)
symbols and images (Inferotemporal region, both sides but usually left dominated)
spatial perception (Parietal lobe, left and right hemisphere)
knows object function (temporal lobe, both hemispheres have a temporal lobe)
risk taking (Medulla oblongata, its a primative emotion)

Basically I wouldn't read too much into this, hardly seems to be backed by scientific fact and relies on debunked phrenology.

Well don't you just have to ruin everyone's fun =P

GMfan
01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Not ruining, just properly informing the public :P

chisau
01-25-2008, 01:38 AM
i'm doing it. But it's hard to control.

jourdo
01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
so my original plan of looking at her boobs/nipples won't work?

See that is the trick. They know men will look there and the lower brain will take control, making the left-brain/right-brain thing irrelevant.

Team Jetfire
01-25-2008, 01:41 PM
LOL!

Seems like I have a lot of trouble with that.

tilallr1
01-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Cool. Took a while, but I got her going both ways. Controlled too. The key is to look and focus on legs and figure out how the legs could go clockwise/counter-clockwise. When you figure that out you can then easily choose which way she turns. Its awesome. Thanks for that.

On a side note, I am a extremely scientific logical person (Left-sided brain), but when I first looked at it I saw it go clockwise which says I use the Right-Side of my brain. Very interesting. If this is true, then my entire life has been a lie. LOL.

Transbot90210
01-25-2008, 05:42 PM
ok i dont get this at all. How the hell is it possible to control this thing. I'm doing it and I'm doing it well but have no clue what it is Im doing.

GMfan
01-25-2008, 06:02 PM
It's not asking you to control it, its asking you how you perceive it rotating.

Team Jetfire
01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
ZOMG! I saw it.

For these ppl who can't see it avert your eyes from the pic, but keep the pic in your peripheral.

Buhawi
01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
my first way of seeing it was going from the ass towards the leg that is raised but looking at the foot does it easier.

honestly i also doubted the validity of the claims on that site but it is fun nonetheless. :D

ohnaji
01-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Argh! I was trying to figure out some incredibly smart convoluted solution to do this, that it never dawned on me to do one simple thing.
To see the figure rotate right, imagine the right leg is elevated. Do the reverse to have it move counter clockwise.
Sometimes it's the simplest of things.

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I can only make her go Clockwise. everytime i look at it, it just pisses me off cause i can't make it go the other way. That and i have the attention spand of a squirrel. So i think i'll just let the naked chick float clockwise =)

jacobot
01-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Either the two sides of my brain are fighting or its a randomly changing moving GIF