PDA

View Full Version : New Setup

RageD
08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Thought I would post a few pictures of the new setup. Most figures are not displayed but I didn't want to oversaturate it, I'll be building a few more.

The Cabinets and base are all made from Pine and I've attached 3 sanja cabinets between them. Power bars and cords are neatly hidden inside for the TV, etc.

Next project is going to be 4 pine lightboxes for backlit posters

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/tsmalldon/IMG_9210.jpg.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/tsmalldon/IMG_9215.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/tsmalldon/IMG_9212.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/tsmalldon/IMG_9215.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/tsmalldon/IMG_9211.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/tsmalldon/IMG_9217.jpg

Tekkamanraiden
08-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Nicely done!

MULTIPLEX
08-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Nice custom job. Are those the glass cabinets from JYSK?

RageD
08-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Yup, The Sanja Glass Cabinets from Jysk. Just like Detolfs but with ugly feet, hence my hiding them with the kickplate.

Only took about a day with the cabinet building, the hardest part was shimming everything level.

Msol
08-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Very tasteful stuff. Was there any theme you were going with when choosing who goes into what display?

RageD
08-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Nope, just my favorites from G1. The light pictures didn't turn out great. I'm going to take some new shots tonight with the classics shelving too.

Rev
08-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Yup, The Sanja Glass Cabinets from Jysk. Just like Detolfs but with ugly feet, hence my hiding them with the kickplate.

Only took about a day with the cabinet building, the hardest part was shimming everything level.

I hear you on shimming being the hardest part. In my 110 yr old house it was infuriating. :banghead: LOL

Really nice display! So clean that it enhances the enjoyment of. The figures. Well chosen figures as well. Great G1 collection.

Megatron75
08-03-2014, 05:42 PM
This is a very classy display. It's nice to see G1 getting some love. How much are those cabinets? I wonder if there are after market locks that can be purchased for them.

RageD
08-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks Folks, I'm working on my lightboxes andother cabinets and will post those when done.

Also I've seen some locks at home depot that would work pretty good.

Matrix_Holder
08-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Sick setup dude. Looks tight. Each and every figure is awesome and on my favourite list.

brr-icy
08-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Awesome display and nice bot selection for it. I love the kick plate idea.

huffer
08-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Liking your setup! Mine is kind of similar :). The batteries drain really quick on the puck lights don't they?

Knockout
08-04-2014, 01:15 AM
Ugh I'm still waiting for JYSK to call me about my raincheck for 2 of those cabinets

Robimus
08-04-2014, 01:25 AM
Very nice.

RageD
08-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Liking your setup! Mine is kind of similar :). The batteries drain really quick on the puck lights don't they?

These are the newer double A instead of triple A ones and so far so good. I figured I'd try them and if they suck I'll just hardware some others in instead.

down_shift
08-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Very clean and organized. I love it!

RageD
08-12-2014, 09:00 PM
For anyone wondering, Those puck lights are now about 2 weeks old and there is no noticeable dimming. I don't use them very often, But more as accent lighting, but so far, so good. I'll update when they die.

huffer
08-13-2014, 04:55 AM
For anyone wondering, Those puck lights are now about 2 weeks old and there is no noticeable dimming. I don't use them very often, But more as accent lighting, but so far, so good. I'll update when they die.

Yes, please keep us updated, thanks! Where did you buy these puck lights from?

RageD
08-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Originally they are from Costco but I got these from eBay. The ones that take triple A seem to have problems with short battery life. The newer ones with the double a seem to be doing ok so far. I even took one camping for 4 days and used it As a Tent light and she's still going strong.

MULTIPLEX
08-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Sorry to highjack but some first hand feedback on the lights you are discussing. I used those same Costco AA puck lights in my Detolfs and Billy book cases for several months and the performance just didn't work for me. I was spending too much money on batteries.

Admittedly, I'm a heavy user and I usually have them on for about 4-5 hour each week. The batteries drained usually after 2 or 3 weeks. I was running back to Costco buying batteries too often.

So I invested in rechargeable AAs. Certainly saved me money in the long run but I still wasn't satisfied with the light performance as the rechargeables drained a bit quicker than the Duracells, plus the light distribution didnt work well for my set up, especially in my Billy book cases. But I mean this is expected with puck lights.

So...I just returned them back to Costco and decided to go with custom LED strip lights. I kept two packages for accent lighting though. I love the remote feature.

So the moral of the story is, if you use them sparingly, these are fine, but for heavier user like me, you'll find yourself spending a lot on batteries.

laffy
08-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Sorry to highjack but some first hand feedback on the lights you are discussing. I used those same Costco AA puck lights in my Detolfs and Billy book cases for several months and the performance just didn't work for me. I was spending too much money on batteries.

Admittedly, I'm a heavy user and I usually have them on for about 4-5 hour each week. The batteries drained usually after 2 or 3 weeks. I was running back to Costco buying batteries too often.

So I invested in rechargeable AAs. Certainly saved me money in the long run but I still wasn't satisfied with the light performance as the rechargeables drained a bit quicker than the Duracells, plus the light distribution didnt work well for my set up, especially in my Billy book cases. But I mean this is expected with puck lights.

So...I just returned them back to Costco and decided to go with custom LED strip lights. I kept two packages for accent lighting though. I love the remote feature.

So the moral of the story is, if you use them sparingly, these are fine, but for heavier user like me, you'll find yourself spending a lot on batteries.
what custom led lights are you using now :)

RageD
08-13-2014, 12:13 PM
I would say I'm in the same ballpark, 4-5 hours a week of use. I figured same as you, if they died prematurely, I would just switch over to a fixed solution and use these for something else. For the cost, it was worth the gamble and so far so good!

Protoman
08-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Like the TFcon fiction love at the top ^_^

RageD
09-13-2014, 09:27 PM
For anyone Interested, We're now 6 weeks out and the puck lights are as bright as ever. No battery problems so far.

Subroutine
09-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Yes, I love that you framed the Tfcon stuff. I just pinned mine to the wall like a fool.

RageD
10-04-2014, 08:41 PM
For anyone following, Over 2 months with those pucks lights and haven't had to change batteries yet.

RageD
11-15-2014, 12:28 AM
For anyone who still gives a rat's ass, The lights are going on three months and haven't had to change the batteries yet.

They don't drain as people have speculated because of the wireless feature, that flaw has been overstated, as mine, 3 months in, are still going strong.

RageD
02-08-2015, 12:52 AM
FYI update, the lights have still not died. It appears the wireless feature does NOT drain the batteries when not in use and now going on month 6, they are still working fine on the first set of batteries. They are dimming a bit, so I'm assuming 6 months is about the useful life span, which is pretty great. Changing the batteries twice a year.....Can't complain really for the convenience of wireless lights.

dingd0ng
02-09-2015, 11:07 AM
FYI update, the lights have still not died. It appears the wireless feature does NOT drain the batteries when not in use and now going on month 6, they are still working fine on the first set of batteries. They are dimming a bit, so I'm assuming 6 months is about the useful life span, which is pretty great. Changing the batteries twice a year.....Can't complain really for the convenience of wireless lights.

What are the names of these puck lights on ebay?

RageD
02-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Don't recall, They were the costco brand. There were two versions AAA and AA. Seems the AAA versions wore down real fast, and there were complaints about the AA versions as well, but I haven't had any problems. You don't want to run them non-stop but as accent lighting they work great.

MULTIPLEX
02-09-2015, 06:24 PM
What are the names of these puck lights on ebay?

Lightmates - 6 to a pack and include batteries. Available at Costco.

I don't know how RageD got such longevity out of them cause mine died real quick :confused:

I still use 12 of them for accent lighting.

dingd0ng
02-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys

RageD
02-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Lightmates - 6 to a pack and include batteries. Available at Costco.

I don't know how RageD got such longevity out of them cause mine died real quick :confused:

I still use 12 of them for accent lighting.

No idea either... I read all the bad reviews but they are being troopers for me. Zero complaints about battery life.