Based: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Movie
Scalpel ‘The Doctor”

Package includes:
o 1 figure
o 2 hand-guns
o 1 shoulder/back cannon/scope
o instructions

Height : approx 5.5 inches.

So this is the fourth re-colour of this figure. The first figure was the Magnificus figure, then the Mugen Scope: Perceptor, the Soundwave that came with Ratbat, and now the all white Scalpel. I grabbed this guy because I have some customers who might be interested. They’ve purchased the other figures before so I thought, ‘Why the heck not?’
KFC: Scalpel
The figure comes in a baggie. Yep – it’s a loss but the pricing was good so it made up for it.

Positives

Detail
The figure is the basic figuresculpt like all the other ones. That being said, he does have a nice sculpt. Joints are tight Ball jointed wrists but still not too much mobility. He has full waist movement, hips are ball jointed, and he has full bendable knees and elbows. He does not have finger movement.
I like the expression for Scalpel. He’s got googly eyes – or looks to be wearing ultra thick glasses that make his pupils huge. He has a nice snarl on his face that gives him the ‘mad doctor’ persona he has on film.
His chest piece is not a translucent piece like the previous three figures. It’s a solid bright grey plastic with a little indentation that would be perfect for a decepticon label. Just on the sides of the chest piece he has 3 pairs little claws/ crab legs. They are small little ball joints so you can rotate then should you want. I love this touch –but I wont risk pulling at them since the ball joints are small and the tension on them could cause it to snap.
Scalpel’s shoulder cannon is nice –the ball joint that connects the figure to the scope holds it nicely in place. The extension/arm allows for the cannon/scope to sit on either shoulder.
Scalpel’s colouring is interesting. Very rare will you have a solid white character. He’s is a doctor so I guess it suits. Yes –there are different whites, and thankfully he’s not a dull white nor is he a brilliant white. He’s a soothing white. He also has the grey chest piece and a few other little bits to break up the white.

Negatives
One of the negatives of this figure is that it’s the fourth mold of a figure. Sure it’s been done… but a few more changes could have been done. The tank mode is the same as is the microscope, although with this microscope you have little claw like appendages that ‘hold’ the subject in place on its plate.
Scalpel has painted eyes. This might not be such a big deal, but he has plastic piping on the back of his head to allow light to shine through. It would be great if you could get light to illuminate his eyes – but it’s blue piping! Even if I was to take a small drill and drill out his eyes –they’d be blue and not the maddening red that gives him that crazy look. Nope I don’t want to swap out my Magnificus red plastic for it.
No wheels for the tank. That’s right –he wont roll, his tank treads are just molded plastic on his arms and legs. Unfortunate, but I in truth – I wont have him in tank mode any time soon if ever.
Scalpel has small ball joints here and there. If there are any errors in the plastic – this would be a cause for concern. Too much pressure and it’ll break, tear off or just be loose. With that being said, KFC has great c/s and you might be able to get things replaced by your supplier.

Other stuff
Gun
This should actually be in the positives. He’s got needle guns and they end in a point. Not too long and not too short. A little bit of green highlight breaks up the white. These guns remind me of stingers.

Transformation
Moderate to easy transformation. There’s a few steps involved.

Instructions
Tiny pictures, but not really much else to it.

Things I wished for
I wanted a med kit for this guy.. he needs a case with some mad doctor tools.
Scalpel’s hands could have been made so they swapped out for medical/diabolical tools that could be used for interrogations. Eg. Circular saws!

Overall
I’m pretty pleased with this figure. He’s not amazing but he’s far from crap –and he’s based off a character that was a crab from a craptacular movie. The character’s persona is captured in his face sculpt and the little legs on his chest plate. Is he too plain being all white? Sure he could use some stickers to break up some of the colouring but I don’t find that it bothers me too much. He’s got a great range of poses and stability in his legs. His needle guns were well thought out. All in all I waver a bit on rating but I would say 7-7.5.

Longshot
06-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Great review! I like the figure just not a fan of the face sculpt.

PrimeCron
06-04-2014, 09:24 AM
I bought this figure on Sunday from Slayback and had hard time putting it down...it certainly could a little something to make him pop a bit more, for example stickers...Overall, I'm very pleased with this figure... great review as it summarized the figure perfectly!!!

Pascal
06-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Anyone got the Soundwave version?